Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM

26 posts, read 55,889 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who lives in Concord, NC and I want to stay close to Charlotte for work...and it would be nice to live somewhat close to my friend, but she isn't into the total farm areas like I am....I grew up on one and would love to get back into that small town country feel.

I would love to live in a town where houses are not right on top of each other, I like the quiet and would love an area where I could leave windows open and not worry about break-ins, etc.

I have dogs (I show them) so I want to have the space so I can let them run (fenced in of course) and I was looking in threads but didn't see any that really ask about the nice quiet areas (other than the silly redneck comments people make-which are probably the areas I would love).

I am very laid back, I tend to keep to myself-I don't go out often, I am very friendly and love to help others so an area with a small town feel I think would be great for me to start a family someday.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
I think you will have several options, but a lot will depend on how much you would like to spend...let us know and we can give you more guidance.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM

My friend told me to check out Enochville, Albemarle, Landis, China Grove, and said there are a lot of country areas in Concord as well. She just looked at a 5 bedroom with almost 2 acres for $90,000.00!

I'm trying to stay under $120,000.00 so I can actually put money in the bank and save! I'm house poor right now and would love to be able to actually pay a house off before retirement!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,153 times
Take a look at a little known area in NW charlotte not too far from Mt. Island lake. It is called Coulwood. You still can get a nice, brick home on lots of land. Plus, there are no home owner association dues, but an optional membership to a pool (no fancy club house). The lots are very large, there are a few farms around and people are working and middle class, laid back and not into keeping up with the Jones'. It is a well kept sercret in Charlotte.
Be sure to look in the original Coulwood area (originated in the year 1953), not the little start up neighborhoods popping up near Coulwood and tacking on the Coulwood name (like Coulwood Ridge, etc.). You'll be able to have your dogs...and get into the city of charlotte or up to Concord in no time.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Thank you. I've been racking my brain tying to go through county and town ordinances on dog limit laws, kennel licenses, etc. and the only thing that keeps popping up are the dangerous dog laws, etc. I was hoping I wouldn't have to call Animal Control and I could just check on it myself but I guess I'll have to take the easy way and call.

Where I live the town decides the dog limit, down in NC it is not only town but county. It's quite confusing. I'll have to try and do some more digging!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaSunshine View Post
Thank you. I've been racking my brain tying to go through county and town ordinances on dog limit laws, kennel licenses, etc. and the only thing that keeps popping up are the dangerous dog laws, etc. I was hoping I wouldn't have to call Animal Control and I could just check on it myself but I guess I'll have to take the easy way and call.

Where I live the town decides the dog limit, down in NC it is not only town but county. It's quite confusing. I'll have to try and do some more digging!
Depending on what the zoning laws are when you check, I think that Lincoln County is a little more lenient.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 AM

224 posts, read 458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaSunshine View Post
My friend told me to check out Enochville, Albemarle, Landis, China Grove, and said there are a lot of country areas in Concord as well. She just looked at a 5 bedroom with almost 2 acres for $90,000.00!

I'm trying to stay under $120,000.00 so I can actually put money in the bank and save! I'm house poor right now and would love to be able to actually pay a house off before retirement!

Those areas will have you closer to Concord than to Charlotte. You could also look into Mt. Pleasant which is quaint and quite rural.

What is your time tolerance for a commute and to where in Charlotte?
It all matters geographically with the traffic, the direction you travel and time of day.

If you are planning to have kennel, there may be both town and county zoning ordinances you would have to adhere to. If you only have a few dogs, I don't think it's much of an issue...but if you have, say 8 or more and keep them outside or in sheds, pens and runs....you should definitely check out the rules. The main concern I believe is noise. As was mentioned, Lincoln County and even Gaston might be additional options to look into as they are located to the west of the city and you can commute in as well.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 18,421 times
Have you considered york county South Carolina. There are a lot of legacy people but quite a few quiet newcomers and the downtown is subtly changing into a more cosmopolitan yet quaint environment. South Carolina barely has any laws to boot.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:19 PM

32 posts, read 57,363 times
I love Stanly County but not sure about dog laws...actually there is house for sale in Oakboro that is right next to house that already has a dog breeder!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM
ytc

5 posts, read 16,714 times
Yeah don't forget York County it's a lot cheaper taxes and even cheaper in the county...it's also only 20 mins from charlotte downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte