Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,047 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Kids R Kids in Blakeney? My husband and I have been visiting daycares for our first child who is due in May. We visited Kids R Kids in January and absolutely fell in love with the facility and the program. We want to enroll around September 1st, and we were told to call in February to get on the waiting list. So, I called and emailed - twice. Nothing, no response. We've visited lots of other places and have a 2nd choice in mind - but still strongly prefer Kids R Kids. So, yesterday I decided to make one more call. The director told me that we are indeed on the waiting list and that we are #2 in line for a space in September. She was to call me this morning to let me know. When I didn't hear from her by 12:30, I called again. She told me she was going to give the other couple 1 more hour to call . . . and then the space would be ours. She was supposed to call me back. That was 4 hours ago!

I know this place has long waiting lists and the parents there seem to love it - so they must treat you much differently once you are enrolled. Anyone else have experience with being on their waiting list and dealing with their lack of responsiveness?

Thanks for the feedback . . . I'm just hoping it's not just me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM

554 posts, read 1,507,618 times
I think it's a great place to go if you can get in. I looked there and I couldn't get in because the waitlist was too long...I checked out a lot of places too and wasn't impressed with many - but I did end up picking rainbow station and really like it there too. So if this falls through you might want to check them out as well!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM

161 posts, read 305,194 times
My friend has used them since they opened and she raves about how great they are!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM

162 posts, read 400,966 times
I'm not sure of how acurate this may be, but 4 years ago after my daughter was born they wanted a monthly payment that was more than my mortgage. Ridiculous was not a strong enough word.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM

314 posts, read 486,302 times
Here was a thread on this forum a little while back that did not have good reviews of Kids R Kids. Hope that helps.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...s-goddard.html

Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM

249 posts, read 499,521 times
I like Tutor Time. We had a bad experience with the Kid R Kids in Indian Trail.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,565 times
Default Kids R Kids in Indian Trail (Potter Road)

Dear Caniac Nation,
Thanks for your review. Can you provide any further details on the Kids R Kids in Indian Trial? We are just about to enroll our 1 year old son and are very concerned now after reading your review. Could you provide more specifics on your experience? Additionally, what daycare would you recommend as an alternative.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Old 06-17-2010, 03:35 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,294 times
We have went with Kids R Kids as well. It's the one in Huntersville. We are moving this weekend and our 4 year old starts at Kids next week on Wednesday. We didn't have any trouble getting in at all but we had a little help so that is the only reason we didn't have any trouble.

Caniac Nation I would love to here your experience also.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM

249 posts, read 499,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie in Charlotte View Post
Dear Caniac Nation,
Thanks for your review. Can you provide any further details on the Kids R Kids in Indian Trial? We are just about to enroll our 1 year old son and are very concerned now after reading your review. Could you provide more specifics on your experience? Additionally, what daycare would you recommend as an alternative.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Sure, my daughter started daycare about 4 years old. I will readily admit that it was quite an adjustment for her since she had stayed with a grandmother individually since she was born. She had some behavior problems most of which happened at nap time. We had weened her off nap time prior to coming into day care. Kids R' Kids required kids to stay on their mats for 2 hours/day and claimed it was NC law. I don't remember the exact law requiring x hours/day of nap time and nap time is required, but 2 hours/day was a little extreme IMO. During nap time, she would get restless and come off her mat to play with things in the room. Because she would do this, I actually caught on video an obese women sitting on my daughter's legs during nap time to keep her on the mat. I actually saved the screen cap too for evidence. That was over the line and the ratio of kids to teachers was high too, albeit within the law. I would also get calls from them to come pick her up all the time "because they couldn't deal with her." We took her out and went to Tutor Time. We/she loved TT and now have our younger toddler son there. If the kids lay down at nap time and can't go to sleep after ~30 min or so, they teachers let them color or do activities quietly while the other kids sleep. That solution worked for us. Someone else's kids may do wonderfully at Kids R' Kids but not ours. Our daughter just finished kindergarten and is top of her class in reading/math. Having that individual learning experience prior to daycare I really think she was just bored out of her mind and was acting up out of boredom.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Children in centers are required to have a rest time, by law. I don't think the law states how long the time needs to be, but the reason most centers have two hours is because that is the teachers' break time. Two teachers/One hour break each = two hours. Here's the law: GS_110-91 (the rest period info is in line number two.)

When I taught preschool, I gave the kids 30 minutes to fall asleep. I spent that 30 minutes going from child to child and patting their backs or reading quietly to them. After that, if they needed to play they were free to get a puzzle, book, or coloring materials and do quiet activities on their mats. I also taught kindergarten at a private school in a different state and they were still given daily naps. The children were not required to nap, but it was a quiet rest time. In both cases, the rest time is the time the teacher in the room has to plan and prepare materials. It wasn't much time in my kindergarten classroom since I had to check papers, file homework/artwork, etc, and prepare my lessons. Preschool was another story - I usually got my work done quickly and just read a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte