Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 PM

830 posts, read 1,531,813 times

Advertisements

Currently looking for Swim Clubs in South Charlotte...closer to Uptown/Dilworth would be preferable. Any experience/comments on clubs like:

Southpark
Mountainbrook
Charlotte Swim
Barclay Downs (Huge waiting list)
Foxcroft Hills
Foxcroft East

There are also some more "country club" type places where you can get a swim/social membership

Olde Providence
Carolina Golf Club (west charlotte, but fairly close)

Looking for a good pool, family friendly, year-round social activities. Fees seem to be fairly comparable for the first group, more expensive for the 2nd. Currently not a big tennis player, but that could change.

Also considering City Club uptown for more social/dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 02:01 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,507 times
To my knowledge the 'neighborhood' pools do not have year-round activities. They are open only during the summer months. Most of the neighborhoods have year-round activities for the residents.

Southpark/Huntingtowne Farms - I think this is a nice pool but it is located at the back of the neighborhood (lots of twists and turns to get there from Park Road).

Mountainbrook - Prettiest location. I have been at this pool and in the summer you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere! You can't even see a house/building/etc. from the pool! Great playground and nice tennis courts. Have to travel thru Mountainbrook neighborhood to get to the pool.

Charlotte Swim - If I lived in Cotswold this would be a good option - if not, I would choose elsewhere. Not my favorite location.

Barclay Downs - Nice pool but if there is a huge waiting list I vote no. That tells me the pool is too crowded for my liking.

Foxcroft Hills - Great location but initiation fees are way too high in my opinion. If you live in Foxcroft you can probably afford it.

Foxcroft East - I don't like the location on Fairview Road - would not be an option for me. Cars whizzing by.....etc.

Olde Providence (there is a swim and racquet club off of Sharon View/don't know much about it).

There is also Windyrush pool (located in the Olde Providence neighborhood). Windyrush is located closest to the Colony Road entrance to Olde Providence. Typical neighborhood type pool. The clubhouse burned down a few years ago but I believe they are building it back.

Carolina Golf club is great but again, I would not consider it unless I lived near there (or was an active golfer!).

In my opinion the choice boils down to where you live. It can really be a pain to load up the car, kids, lunch, etc. and travel past 2-3 other pools. I would choose the pool closest to where you live.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM

443 posts, read 1,259,195 times
I agree that I would go with location. As your kids get to middle school age, you don't want/need to stay at the pool with them but they can't drive themsleves. They need to be able to get a ride, ride their bikes or walk. If you are home and can drive them, great. But they often go 2 or more times a day and that means your driving back and forth and back and forth. It would get old and they will want to live near the kids they get to know at the pool as it will branch off to doing other things together at times (ideally). Also, do check the ages at which they can attend the pool without you and be sure the supervision is in place and the age is one you are okay with. Think long term...kids grow up quickly.
Taben

Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,507 times
Great advice Taben! I allowed my son to ride to the pool on his bike when he was about 12 (the pool is in our neighborhood and is only a few blocks away). The pool was a lifesaver for me during those middle school years while I was working!

I also agree that they will meet lots of friends at the pool that likely live close by. The closer you are to the pool (NOT close enough to hear/see it!) the better!

They do grow up quick - my son will be leaving for college in a few weeks.....

Old 08-01-2010, 05:27 AM

830 posts, read 1,531,813 times
Thanks for the input and reviews...Unfortunately, there are no neighborhood pools that are biking distance. All of them require a drive - the ones I listed are 10-20 minutes away by car, which is pushing it a little bit.

Will continue to do some digging and see what comes up. I do like the fact that both Olde Providence and Carolina Golf have a true "clubhouse" and a "better dining" option, so a little more of a club feel than just pool/tennis. There are some advantages to that, but you also pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte