Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:35 PM

19 posts, read 68,703 times

Advertisements

ok, so somehow, we have a little extra $. We were considering either a small inground pool or a boat. I know there are a million reasons for each, but what would you try to pursue. We have 2 little boys, a nice backyard for a pool, but also a community pool. If you recommend a pool, what companies in the area get good reviews? Also, we have no boat experience, or any ideas what we would want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
A boat will take a whole lot more of your time in preparation, maintenance, fixing things, ongoing costs and general unexpected trouble. I highly recommend you take the time to go to a boating safety course which is now required if you are under 26. You also have to decide if you want to dry dock it (expensive and limits you to one lake) or trailer it which means you need a vehicle equipped to tow. If you can get past all of that, then you will have a lot more variety in water activities than you would with a pool. I've boated for years and have really enjoyed it, but it turned out to be a lot more of the above than I expected.

If you have a community pool, then I would recommend a nice inground hot tub instead. One other thought, a pool may in fact lower your property value.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
I don't recommend a pool if you have a community pool. My neighborhood has a community pool and some of my neighbors have pools. Their kids hated having a pool at their house - their parents obviously would not join the community pool and all of their friends hung out there! Also - I would not want the liability of a pool.

Had a boat once - never again. Someone once told me a boat is a big hole that you throw money into. They were right.

I don't mean to sound so grumpy but if I had little ones (again) I would save that $ for a fun vacation, etc.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
We have a hot tub & its great to relax in.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelley View Post
ok, so somehow, we have a little extra $. We were considering either a small inground pool or a boat. I know there are a million reasons for each, but what would you try to pursue. We have 2 little boys, a nice backyard for a pool, but also a community pool. If you recommend a pool, what companies in the area get good reviews? Also, we have no boat experience, or any ideas what we would want.
Funny, we are in the same "boat". The only difference is our choices are either a pool or a camper. Good luck with whatever you decide. I am sure you will enjoy either one.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Get one of these this way you can have both and a hottub

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 AM

812 posts, read 1,907,633 times
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say neither! Unless I had a house at the lake with its own dock. I think you would spend more time getting the boat in and out of the water. If you already have a community pool--I agree with the other posters and for us a house with a pool is a negative when it comes to buying.

I am thinking several nice vacations!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:25 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,594 times
I think I would buy something esle as well. A boat will be something you will have to continue to poor money into for various reasons. A pool in not a one time deal either though. Someone once told me it cost around $500 a month to keep a pool up. I think it will make your home owners go up as well.

There has to be something else you could spend your money on unless you are dead set to get one or the other. If you make me choose, then I would say a boat since you have a community pool.

I like the idea of a few nice vactions.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Yeah. Common joke amongst boaters is that BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand. There always seem to be unexpected expenses and they burn a lot of gasoline. It's a fun hobby but don't get into it until you consider all the time and money it takes.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:32 AM

19 posts, read 68,703 times
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go with the truck/hot tub idea---JK!! We were just throwing some ideas around last night. Now I kinda like the camper idea----hmmm more to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte