Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 PM

714 posts, read 2,300,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -

I am working to put together some helpful links and information for friends moving to Charlotte. Five years ago I moved here and found myself completely adrift - I didn't know how to get involved locally, or with whom to get involved. It made for a tough year or two for me.

Thanks to some affiliations my husband found, we began to get involved with like-minded people and now have a great "friends base" to pull from, but our friends are all athletically involved, and I want my friends moving here to be able to get involved with like-minded people of all types, not necessarily the die-hard athletes like we've met.

Can you suggest organizations, websites, groups and events for newcomers to the Charlotte area? Are there Meetups, mailing lists, Yahoo groups, sports organizations (CHOA, Team in Training, etc.) that you can recommend?

I'm looking for anything, Mom's Day out, church groups & events, athletic groups and events, political groups left and right, or other volunteer organizations.

Basically, if you were plopped here tomorrow and you knew no one, what groups, websites or organizations would you visit, first and foremost to get your bearings here in the Queen City and its suburbs?

Thanks so much for your ideas - I am excited to expand my horizons, and also give my friends moving here awesome ideas where to start. We Charlotteans are fantastic, I just want to find a way to let them know how to connect with us best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM

140 posts, read 271,337 times
I moved here a year ago and didn't know anyone. To me, Meetup.com has something for everyone.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 PM

23 posts, read 50,506 times
Unfortunately, I'm with Lexih...moved here almost a year ago and still haven't found many friends. Guess the people in my age group (late 30's early 40's) already have their circle of friends and are not willing to let a stranger in:-).
I have done some things with meetup.com, but mostly i'm exploring the city alone:-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte