Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

IMO going to Sliding Rock during the week is more ideal for us as
I think it will be less crowded since alot of people will be working.

Im looking for this or any other free swimming hole thats in foothills
or mountains. Sliding Rock can be traumatic, lake water is to
much like bath water in these lovely warm days

Any other suggestions that are mention on this site.
SwimmingHoles.info North Carolina Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Sliding rock is great. You can also swim in the pool at the waterfalls that is about a mile downstream from sliding rock. It's especially nice because the water is cool and the falls has the effect of natural air-conditioning from the breeze it creates.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Ok thanks ,

It been years since I been and it can be traumatic lol if you end up going down backwards

Thanks for the added spot as I wont someplace for us to hang out.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Ok we changed our plans to go some where else, North Carolina offers many waterfalls.
Anyways I am glad we did with the weather today.

As a kid I visited Cove Creek with my scouting group and Church Youth Group
I cannot find out how to you find out to check on a Cabin Rental,
Can you guys assist?
Thanks

Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ok we changed our plans to go some where else, North Carolina offers many waterfalls.
Anyways I am glad we did with the weather today.

As a kid I visited Cove Creek with my scouting group and Church Youth Group
I cannot find out how to you find out to check on a Cabin Rental,
Can you guys assist?
Thanks
This might help, Sunny. Cove Creek Campground, Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yeah, I saw that but couldnt find rental information just nearby hotels
I never stayed in a cabin before so I wont to explore that option
I guess I could explore VERBO but I want to be in walking distance to cove creek. Maybe scout out the group campsite for a Fall city-data meetup
cook out.
Spoiler
Ill bring the marshmallows maybe have a cover dish there too.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yeah, I saw that but couldnt find rental information just nearby hotels
I never stayed in a cabin before so I wont to explore that option
I guess I could explore VERBO but I want to be in walking distance to cove creek. Maybe scout out the group campsite for a Fall city-data meetup
cook out.
Spoiler
Ill bring the marshmallows maybe have a cover dish there too.
I clicked on amenities & it seemed unclear about cabins, so I clicked on the reservations & got to a different website & got a phone number.

Find Campgrounds by Map, Regional - COVE CREEK UPPER GROUP CAMP (NC) - ReserveAmerica

Campground Details - Cove Creek Upper Group Camp (NC), NC - ReserveAmerica - [NRSO]

Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,317 times
OMG..thank you for putting up this post!..I am going camping this weekend (for the 1st time ever!) and we so happen to be going to Davidson River - Pisgah - and Sliding Rock happens to be near there. I never even heard of Sliding Rock until I read this post..I just googled it and looks like tons of fun!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
I've been to High Falls, in the Dupont State Forest, which I found on the Swimming Holes site. There are three falls there (Hooker, Triple, High), I haven't been to any other swimming holes so I can't compare but we were there last summer and it was a nice place to cool off. I'm too chicken to slide, but there were people climbing a ways up the side and sliding in. I think the Hooker falls has a bigger swimming area, but High falls has slightly less people since it's a bit of a hike.

If you are into hiking/biking/waterfalls I highly recommend this park. There are some nice trails, most of which are loops making it perfect for day hikes (no camping though). I found it to be a little less daunting then trying to find trails in the Smoky Mountain or the other large wilderness areas.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
OMG..thank you for putting up this post!..I am going camping this weekend (for the 1st time ever!) and we so happen to be going to Davidson River - Pisgah - and Sliding Rock happens to be near there. I never even heard of Sliding Rock until I read this post..I just googled it and looks like tons of fun!

YOU WILL LOVE YOUR CAMPING TRIP, especially if you are going to the very nice Davidson River Campground!! Have a blast, but wear jeans or heavy pants to slide down Sliding Rock, don't say I didn't warn you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte