Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 PM

448 posts, read 1,449,412 times

Advertisements

I posted a few months back regarding looking to move to Charlotte in 1-2 years. I know, I know, get a job before you come!

So, part of my planning process includes a visit to Charlotte. Our family of 5 will be driving to Charlotte next month for a 5 day visit. I have a good friend there who I will be visiting with, but would love others opinions of what is a "Must See" and the "Must Visit" resturants. We have three daughters, ages almost 8, 5, and 3. We are going to stay in the SouthPark area since it was the area many suggested based on what I want in a neighborhood.

Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,853,736 times
Not a lot of "must see" in the area unless you are into white water rafting (National Whitewater Center), NASCAR (Hall of Fame), banking (Uptown is filled with corporate banks), modern art (Several new museums in Uptown), airport watching (One of the nation's best airport overlook parks), indoor water parks (Great Wolf Lodge in Concord), big malls (Concord Mills, among others), and older, historic neighborhoods (Myers Park, Dilworth). I may have left something out.

As far as restaurants go, some of the more popular local spots are The Penguin in Plaza-Midwood for quirky fast(er) food, Mac's Speed Shop with several locations for great BBQ (original is in South End), A nationally rated Italian restaurant - Mama Ricotta's on Kings Drive (I think), and for rotisserie chicken and awesome daily vegetables, The Roasting Company on Montford Dr near South Park. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions from other posters as there are tons more, depending on what your favorite food is.

Enjoy your visit.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
If you are gonna be in the SouthPark area, we really won't need to make recommendations - there are many to choose from and it all depends on what you are in the mood for (and your budget).

There are many nice parks in the area and your kids might enjoy that one morning.

Parks by Region (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Parks/Parks+By+Region/Home.htm - broken link)

Discovery Place

Discovery Place » igniting wonder since 1981

Mint Museum

The Mint Museum - Home

Bechtler MoMA

Bechtler Museum of Modern Art

Those are a few things you might consider, too (depending on what your kids are interested in)

I like taking kids to the Museum of History, as there is plenty of space for them to roam while looking at the Alexander House - and usually something interesting for them to see. Check their schedule to see what exhibitions they may be having while you are visiting.

The Charlotte Museum of History (http://www.charlottemuseum.org/plan_visit.asp - broken link)

Those are just a few ideas to get your started along with the things Peyton listed. I highly recommend Great Wolf Lodge for the kids!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Thank you so much for your response. Things got crazy, and I kept forgetting to check this.

Discovery Place is on the list. I think my girls will LOVE IT!

Thanks for the resturant suggestions. I hear BBQ is a must in NC. We are from KC, so it would be nice to try BBQ in another great BBQ spot.

I've been thinking about the Whitewater Park, but will there be things there for my children to do? I assumed it was geared more for older children and they might restrict the little ones from the activities.

I love driving around looking at older homes everywhere I go, great suggestion.

We have a Great Wolf Lodge here at home and have never even been! Can you go to visit or do you have to stay there?

Parks are a great suggestion for cheap entertainment, And that would give us a really good feeling of the area, great suggestion. Is there a particular one that anyone suggests?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM

Also, is the beach a possible day trip? I would love to take the girls to the beach.

O, and we are going to stop in Nashville on the way home, does someone have a suggestion on a good place to stop so the kids can experience the mountains for an hour or so.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famusdarlin View Post
Also, is the beach a possible day trip? I would love to take the girls to the beach.

O, and we are going to stop in Nashville on the way home, does someone have a suggestion on a good place to stop so the kids can experience the mountains for an hour or so.

A day trip to the beach would make for a very long day. I wouldn't recommend it with young kids. The quickest trip to the beach from Charlotte is about 3.5 hours. I'd spend the day at the Great Wolf Lodge water park instead

Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM

lol, Thanks. That is what I was thinking when I read a couple of posts on here!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,853,736 times
The best area for mountain fun is Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN. Google them both and you will see tons of entertainment like the big Ripley's aquarium (one of the best, IMO), the Ripley's museum, too many restaurants to list, and the never-ending strip of gift shops, mini-golf, bungee rides, etc. That area, if you have enough time to stay a day, is great for kids and adults alike. It's almost like a big amusement park sans a large selection of roller coasters. Even if you only spend a couple hours, they will love it I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: