Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times

Advertisements

I'd agree that it's more inexperienced swimmers and stupidity, not that the lake swallows people up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,570 times
It sounds to me that if there were more designated swimming/beach areas available to the public it might help with the safety of some swimmers. It is obvious that we need safe swimming areas on the lakes. I find it very frustrating to be so close to the lake and not be able to use it

Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM

31 posts, read 102,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
It sounds to me that if there were more designated swimming/beach areas available to the public it might help with the safety of some swimmers. It is obvious that we need safe swimming areas on the lakes. I find it very frustrating to be so close to the lake and not be able to use it
Amen! If you are not a property owner by the lake, boat owner or Duke Power Employee....you're practically screwed getted lake or river access in this area in NC or SC.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 PM

308 posts, read 617,860 times
While doing my run in Jetton Park this morning, I noticed a few boats including the Cornelius Police boat sweeping the area. They were in the cove that borders the east side of the park. I don't believe the water in that partiular area is over 30 feet deep, but bodies tend to float around depending on the gases in one's body and the water currents as slow as they may be. It was a sad situation, but it is normal for any place where people swim and don't practice common sense. I don't think it is a reason to dissallow others to enjoy the water. More tickets should be written for not having proper floation devices.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I agree. We jump off a boat and go swimming all the time. That is legal. We jump off a private dock and go swimming. That is legal too. It is illegal to wade into shallow water from the shore and go swimming. This tragic accident (detailed information has not been forthcoming) does not confirm the existing laws at all.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
It doesn't matter if the lake is 8 feet deep or 100 feet deep. A person can drown in most any depth of water. Millions of people swim without PFD's at the oceans' edges every day, and that's with waves that move you 20 feet at a time, currents and undertows going in multiple directions at once. How often do we hear of people drowning at the beaches?

It all comes down to the common sense and capability of the individual. If they can swim, great. If not, precautions should be taken or they shouldn't get in the water.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
We dont here about beach drownings because there is no need for local
news to report news from the beach

//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...-help-out.html

Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
We dont here about beach drownings because there is no need for local
news to report news from the beach

//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...-help-out.html
You're kidding, right? We hear about the weather, shark attacks, the fire they had last year, etc. We hear all sorts of beach news, and news from many other places that aren't local.

Indeed.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM

412 posts, read 684,606 times
I grew up on Lake Norman. Swam in it and survived. There was one year where the cove froze over and we were dumb enough to walk out on it from the pier.

But we were taught how to swim (and had water safety courses) at an early age and we always had some flotation device (even if it was only a ski belt) on us.

Unfortunately these kinds of things happen. People need to stop blaming the big bad lake and use a bit of common sense (and a PFD).

Old 07-19-2010, 04:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
This made the rounds on facebook a few weeks ago - it's good information to remember!

Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte