Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM

236 posts, read 552,859 times

Advertisements

People need to remember the force of nature is greater than the force of man. With this in mind a little commonsense should be used. In California when the surfs are high, people are warned to stay out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
I have seen the very response in that article, twice in my lifetime, both times by young children and there was no splashing and floundering around....scary. I have printed the article to give to my daughter.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM

308 posts, read 618,071 times
People aren't banned from swimming in the ocean because of drownings. I suppose that Duke Energy is afraid the they may end up with a huge suit.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
That is a real poor crazy dont make since comparison

Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,959,816 times
I've swam in it a few times in fact just last week. I think we just need to be careful no matter what body of water we are swimming in including a backyard swimming pool. This story will make me a little more cautious though. The water has always been calm when I was in it.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM

9 posts, read 27,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That is a real poor crazy dont make since comparison
on the other hand, that is an excellent comparison, and makes a lot of sense!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
we live on Lake Norman. one time our son swore a current swept him out and he would try and try to swim back to the house and could not. My husband did not believe it said the lake has no currents unless by the Dam. Yesterday, met a Recovery Diver whom had grew up on Lake Norman as well. She explained to me that Duke Power is constantly moving water in order to operate...This causes currents in the lake NOT just at the Dam. She said everyone should have a life jacket on while on the boat or dock. It is very important! We use to live on Lake Hickory and I heard from the Sheriff that patrols the water that he had never ever pulled a body out with a life jacket on. I asked the Recovery Diver if she had ever pulled out a body with a life jacket on the answer is no. We go on the boat and make kids wear life jacket always have before the new law went into place. From this point on we will all have life jackets on while even on the boat. It is just a safety precaution that may save your or someone else's life. I never ever knew that Lake Norman had under currents and yes our son was right. Thank God he is okay today but he could have not been from pure stupidity on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte