Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 AM
 
604 posts, read 1,307,478 times
Reputation: 215

Advertisements

Good

City Council member Turner fired as probation officer - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/20/1574274/city-council-member-turner-fired.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2010, 05:37 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Reputation: 22752
Is it? Or has Turner been subjected to a witch hunt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Reputation: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
Good

City Council member Turner fired as probation officer - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/20/1574274/city-council-member-turner-fired.html - broken link)
Why is this good? Because he has been accused of a few things which have not been proven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Reputation: 10467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Why is this good? Because he has been accused of a few things which have not been proven?
+1

Also, why can't they elaborate on what "directives" he violated, since they've admitted these violations were the reason he was terminated? Somehow I suspect there is more to the story than this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Reputation: 22752
I find it all quite concerning. I frankly wonder how much of this is political. I do not know Turner personally but something about his story (from police academy dismissal, to accusations at city hall, to this firing) has hit me as strange from Day One.

I also realize that because of personnel policies, details cannot be given. But I also realize that this same policy can be hidden behind when unfair termination has occurred.

It's very easy to trump up charges when it all comes down to "he said/she said" - especially if there are politicians involved . . .

Things are not always what they appear and this is what concerns me. If Turner's rights are violated, then that puts us all at risk for having our rights violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM
 
604 posts, read 1,307,478 times
Reputation: 215
Ok, I am easy, it's Bad!

I just don't like anyone trying to use his position as a come on to females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 AM
 
3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Reputation: 9681
"The Observer reported that in 2009, Turner visited an empty building on South Tryon Street that was under construction. A woman who helped day laborers there said Turner told the men he was a code enforcement officer. She said he showed the laborers his gun, and told them they had to stop working on the building because they didn’t have a permit. The woman, Maria Alfaro, also said Turner threatened the men with jail.

Alfaro complained to Mecklenburg County. Officials there believed Turner had misrepresented himself as a code enforcement officer, and passed the complaint to the city. The city didn’t contact the DOC.

Turner later said he never showed the men his gun, and only asked them if they had a permit.

After the Observer reported the allegation, the DOC moved Turner to a desk job, and took away his state-issued gun. He wasn’t allowed to supervise probationers."


Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/20/1574274/city-council-member-turner-fired.html#ixzz0uKNwnZWf



The above story from the CO, the firing from the Police Academy and the 'five female city employees that said Turner made inappropriate comments to them' lead me to believe that Turner may be worse than we know.

I find it hard to believe that 'everyone is out to get Turner'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Reputation: 22752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
"The Observer reported that in 2009, Turner visited an empty building on South Tryon Street that was under construction. A woman who helped day laborers there said Turner told the men he was a code enforcement officer. She said he showed the laborers his gun, and told them they had to stop working on the building because they didn’t have a permit. The woman, Maria Alfaro, also said Turner threatened the men with jail.

Alfaro complained to Mecklenburg County. Officials there believed Turner had misrepresented himself as a code enforcement officer, and passed the complaint to the city. The city didn’t contact the DOC.

Turner later said he never showed the men his gun, and only asked them if they had a permit.

After the Observer reported the allegation, the DOC moved Turner to a desk job, and took away his state-issued gun. He wasn’t allowed to supervise probationers."


Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/20/1574274/city-council-member-turner-fired.html#ixzz0uKNwnZWf



The above story from the CO, the firing from the Police Academy and the 'five female city employees that said Turner made inappropriate comments to them' lead me to believe that Turner may be worse than we know.

I find it hard to believe that 'everyone is out to get Turner'.
I don't.

For one thing, he has refused to vote in lock step with his party members.

That alone makes me wonder if he is being pushed out b/c he isn't sticking to party line politics.

I saw a new show (preview) the other week - "Rubicon." The tagline for the show is . . . "Not every conspiracy is a theory."

Yep. So true. Sometimes folks conspire and pull it off so well that no one stops to consider that it was a conspiracy.

Just sayin' . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Reputation: 9681
I would be thrilled to find out it is a conspiracy against Turner. We need representatives that will stand up for what is right instead of going along with the crowd.

I try to be open-minded as I was one of the many that threw the Duke lacrosse players under the bus when that story broke. My father (who was a local politician ) reminded me to keep an open mind and explained that things aren't always what they seem. Boy was he right - I need to learn to keep my mouth shut!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Reputation: 22752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I would be thrilled to find out it is a conspiracy against Turner. We need representatives that will stand up for what is right instead of going along with the crowd.

I try to be open-minded as I was one of the many that threw the Duke lacrosse players under the bus when that story broke. My father (who was a local politician ) reminded me to keep an open mind and explained that things aren't always what they seem. Boy was he right - I need to learn to keep my mouth shut!
Hey - don't kick yourself over that one. You were not alone. I smelled something stinky after more info started coming out (probably after about 72 hours) but at first - I was thinking - "elitist kids v. victimized stripper."

This situation with the Shirley Sherrod/NAACP video clip should emphasize to us all that it is oh-so-easy to rush to judgment.

Sadly, I don't think there is any way to find out the "whole truth" re: the Turner case. And at the risk of sounding sexist or insensitive/uninformed re: harassment - I have seen a lot of trumped up BS when it comes to charges of sexual harassment in the corporate workplace. There is a big difference between being groped as opposed to having someone tell a "dirty joke" in your presence, but both can cause folks to get slammed with a sexual harassment charge in the workplace. To me, one does not hold the weight of the other (even if they are both considered offenses).

I have wondered what really happened w/ Turner at the police academy, and I have really really wondered about the charges within the city offices themselves.

I would like to know exactly who filed what and why . . . b/c I have some other theories about all that . . . but I feel bad about even speculating b/c to do so is to make assumptions and I don't mean to belittle anyone who truly had a meaningful grievance.

But I don't think it is right to trump something up in order to minimize someone else's effectiveness or, for that matter, ruin a career.

Since those are personnel issues, we will never know what the "facts" are.

I just know when I suspect something ain't right, it usually ain't right. Proving that is something else entirely . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top