Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,183 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear reviews about the Farmer's Markets in Charlotte. I tend to go to the big one on Yorkmont and love the local farmers that are there.
Where do you go and what is your favorite thing to get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 AM

198 posts, read 642,136 times
I went to the Matthews Farmer's Market in May, one of the first weekends it was open. There was hardly anything there. I was very disappointed, considering I'd been told the Matthews Farmer's Market is the biggest one in the greater Charlotte area.

There were about 20 booths in a small area about the size of a large backyard. Several vendors were selling flowers and vegetable seedlings for gardens. A few vendors were selling various kinds of lettuce, but no real produce to speak of. One booth was a beef supplier, and another was Grateful Growers (who I love). We purchased some chorizo from Grateful Growers and then headed home. It took us about 5 minutes to walk around and look at the booths.

However, I'd be willing to give it another shot sometime, because it was one of the first weekends it was open this year. It's possible that now, later in the summer, there are a lot more vegetables in season to sell.

But what I'm *really* hoping is that I was misinformed, that the Matthews Farmers Market is NOT the largest one in the area. Hopefully there is a huge, vibrant farmers market elsewhere that fits what I'm looking for. Has anyone been to the Raleigh Farmer's Market? That thing is HUGE.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
Since it is a growers only market..not much is grwoing in May. They HAVE to sell what they grow and yes they check it. It has to be within 50 miles as well. It isn't a huge market but they have some of the best items. The Charlotte Regional is probably the biggest..however it is NOT growers only so produce may or may not be coming from here or wherever someone is growing/selling it.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,945 times
Yeah, Yorkmount is all local. The "barn" closest to the entrance had the most local farmers, but they were scattered about. Look for the little "local foods/local farmer" signs.

The markets that feature all local produce are smaller and subject to what is in-season. They are usually more expensive too, but IMO, worth it.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,376 times
I'm planning to check out the Matthews FM on Saturday. Will report back.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,183 times
Has anyone been to the uptown market? I am thinking about checking that out on Saturday.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:20 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,376 times
My husband wanted to try the Waxhaw farmers market this morning so Matthews will have to wait. Waxhaw was small but pretty good. About 20 vendors were there - if something wasn't locally grown, it was labeled as such, but it appeared that everything was VERY local. One grass-fed beef stand, one egg co-op stand, a few baked goods stands, a goat cheese stand, one goats-milk soap table, one alpaca wool and other alpaca products (including lip balm!) and the rest fruits and veggies. Prices seemed reasonable. The market is at the corner or Church St. (Providence Road turns into Church) and Davis St.

Last edited by renlouis; 07-24-2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: add location details

Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM

58 posts, read 145,687 times
A fellow Jayhawk?? We both graduated from KU. We'll be back in CLT soon enough.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 PM

98 posts, read 341,922 times
Has anyone found rhubarb at the local farmer's markets? As another Jayhawk from the midwest, I miss rhubarb for pies, breads, etc Harris Teeter and Lowe's apparently don't carry it so I'm still looking.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawk View Post
Has anyone found rhubarb at the local farmer's markets? As another Jayhawk from the midwest, I miss rhubarb for pies, breads, etc Harris Teeter and Lowe's apparently don't carry it so I'm still looking.
I saw rhubarb someplace last spring. I think it was Ingles, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte