Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Coming from Illinois, will I have to take a test?
Yes, you will. I had to take one after holding a NJ driver's license for 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
I go either around 10am or 2pm to avoid the lunchtime crowds.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Coming from Illinois, will I have to take a test?

Yup. The written test. Some of the questions are NC specific. It was weird because I have lived in several states and have not see questions like those before. The sample test online saved me because I did not even read the book before taking the test.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Either go to a county surrounding Meck or put up with any lines you find.
Yup. Once you get away from Charlotte, most of the DMVs are small and have very small crowds (if any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I always go to the one on Brookshire (Hwy 16). I go in the morning (not first thing though) and never have had to wait very long. I don't think I've every spent a solid hour in the DMV, so the horror stories are lost on me.
The ones close to the city are just a cluster....

Quote:
Originally Posted by just lookin' View Post
I can't help but think...now that government is in charge of health care those lines could be our doctor's offices of the future!
Fail!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,390 times
I went to the one in Mooresville to get my wife and I a booklet to study and it was stupid insane crowded. The whole place was packed full and there were even more people outside. You could barely get in the door. Not only that but the woman as the counter was super rude to me for no reason at all.

I was told that you could make an appointment and you would not have to wait.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Last week I at got in line on thursday @Arrowood around 7:30am (with about 30-40 others already there). Was done by 9am. They split the line between new licenses and renewals (I was doing the renewal). Pretty painless for a DMV. Bring a book/magazine and it isn't too bad. Just don't forget cash or a check as they don't accept debit/credit for your renewal fee.

If you actually went around 10am, the line is probably pretty managable as most people are trying to go before/after work.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Last week I at got in line on thursday @Arrowood around 7:30am (with about 30-40 others already there). Was done by 9am. They split the line between new licenses and renewals (I was doing the renewal). Pretty painless for a DMV. Bring a book/magazine and it isn't too bad. Just don't forget cash or a check as they don't accept debit/credit for your renewal fee.

If you actually went around 10am, the line is probably pretty managable as most people are trying to go before/after work.
Why in the world would they not accept a card for a renewal fee? That is pretty dumb. Do they take a card for other things?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Why in the world would they not accept a card for a renewal fee? That is pretty dumb. Do they take a card for other things?

I don't think so. It costs merchants a fee when a card is used. They want it all

Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 10,889 times
Are licenses from other states such as NY accepted or will I have to take a written or road test?
After that can I renew my license on line as I do in NY now?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary M Gold View Post
Are licenses from other states such as NY accepted or will I have to take a written or road test?
After that can I renew my license on line as I do in NY now?
As I said, I had to take the written test & I had held a NJ license for 40 years. Taking the road test is their option. I was told that since I did well enough on the written test they waived the road test.

When you renew, you have to go because they give you the eye test & the sign test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte