Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM

185 posts, read 422,787 times

Advertisements

Ok so the time is approaching for us to look again. We are coming down 8/4. Last year we looked at Ft. Mill and Union county. We ruled out S.C., because we want residency for NC colleges. Liked what we saw in Waxhaw area. Now I am planning to look at Cornelius, Huntersville & Mooresville (graded dist). Need to decide between Union Cty vs. LKN areas. Middle/high schools are a major issue.

ANYWAY, I am revisiting some of the areas in Union that we looked at in the past, and I have to say the deals on these homes in Millbridge and Prescot are FABULOUS! I can't help getting excited about what I can get in a nice dev. for the price. The last posts I read on these developments were when things were tanking for RE, but I think things have hit bottom now, or are close to being there. What do you all think of these develpoments now that the builders tanked?
Bad Idea - or great bargain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM

104 posts, read 309,290 times
I would also check out Mccullough by John Weiland. It is in Pineville. The homes are fantastic. The schools are zoned for CMS but are good. Cabarrus and Union have better schools overall but their is so much choice in CMS it should not be overlooked.

www.jwhomes.com

Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
This has been hashed out over and over again. But many of us don't agree w/ purchasing in a new subdivision. I don't think prices have hit a bottom and even if they have, who knows when a new subdivision will be completed. It could be years or decades. Or never be completed. I wouldn't take the risk.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
I bought in Cureton in Waxhaw and love he neighborhood. There are still a few Standard Pacific sites left, but they are going fast..M/I is there too but we liked SP much better.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 AM

wdavid - did you look at millbridge or prescott and then choose Cureton because it is more built out?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
wdavid - did you look at millbridge or prescott and then choose Cureton because it is more built out?
I did look at Millbridge and was concerned about the size and number of homes proposed. I went through Prescott and just wasn't too impressed. Went to Demere, and a couple of others. We just liked the way Cureton was developed..stone clubhouse, just the neighborhood itself, location..240 homesites and we got lucky and bought a spec that was just finished and was only on the market for a week. So, I was concerned about Millbridge although my wife actually loved the house there more and it was her first choice. The Realtor kind of tried to sway us to Cureton..which in the end was the better choice..

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
I'd be extremely cautious about any of the subdivisions listed here... Especially when anyone states that homes are "going fast".

There was certainly a spike in activity this Spring due to the homeowner tax credit, but that should not be used as an indication to "hurry". Take your time, research the areas, visit often, and look at what is selling / at what price.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,904 times
Millbridge is doing pretty well with four builders currently selling there. I don't know of any builders recently who have "tanked" in that community. Great amenity and feel to the neighborhood.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Thanks everyone -- I guess I'll be touring the area anyway. Prescot has homes listed with a lot more sf than Cureton, Millbridge for the same $, so I have to look! It costs me a fortune every time I come down and look because my kids want a say in our choice, and since it is the summer, we stay at Great Wolf Lodge as a reward to house hunting all day - I want to maximize the time. But I think MikeyKid is right about taking your time and finding the right neighborhood - it will be worth it in the end (if I don't go broke or crazy first - lol)

Old 07-26-2010, 11:36 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
Thanks everyone -- I guess I'll be touring the area anyway. Prescot has homes listed with a lot more sf than Cureton, Millbridge for the same $, so I have to look! It costs me a fortune every time I come down and look because my kids want a say in our choice, and since it is the summer, we stay at Great Wolf Lodge as a reward to house hunting all day - I want to maximize the time. But I think MikeyKid is right about taking your time and finding the right neighborhood - it will be worth it in the end (if I don't go broke or crazy first - lol)
I know it's tough and expensive to visit... Maybe we can help you a bit more if you'd be more specific about your needs/wants/requirements/etc.

To be frank, the lower risk and best deals are going to be resale. If you want to "pick your colors", you're paying a premium that's not worth it IMO - especially when you consider the developments you've listed here, how built out they are, and the general state of the economy. There's plenty of resale to choose from and your kids would go to the exact same schools as if you bought in these subdivisions. Additionally, you could get better access to amenities in Meck county (i.e. Ballantyne) by living further up North in the Marvin Ridge or Weddington clusters (with arguably better schools)... You'll also find that those 2 areas are more established then down where you're looking.

Your price point and other really big requirements would help us help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte