Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 PM

996 posts, read 1,898,250 times

Advertisements

My first time was in 2005 I believe, or was it 2006? Either one. I went to visit my cousins.

I visited it a few more times

In 2008, my parents asked us if we would mind if we moved to Charlotte, I was "Haha, nice one, we'll never move here! I like it, but no thanks I'm good "

Then after our 2nd trip in July 2008, my parents seriously starting considering moving.

They told me and my sister in Early Sept. 2008 we're either moving to Texas or North Carolina. I was praying for Texas! My wish didn't come true (Actually, My wish was to stay in NYC, but... Texas was my B Plan)

But, I love Charlotte, so its good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,681,135 times
I can't remember the exact year, but I was in elementary school, so sometime between 1986 and 1992. We went to Ovens Auditorium to see the circus, I remember. It was very fun! I didn't visit Charlotte frequently, even though I lived just across Lake Wylie in York County, until I came home to visit for the weekends when I was in college.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
I came to Charlotte for the first time in 1995 to visit a business partner of my wife & scout out a rental unit. He lived in the Fairington Apartments at the corner of Fairview & Colony. He was a real jerk but I really liked the small town feel of Charlotte. We moved down the next year.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
I think it was 2004... My dad took me to a Panthers vs Rams game. We flew in to Raleigh, and only stayed in Charlotte for the game, so I don't remember much of the actual city. I just remember it being super cold and snowing!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,735 times
It was August 2008 my fiance and I came for a friend's wedding. My fiance used to live here in the 90s. I fell in love with what I saw and started making plans to move. Wanted to last year but things did not work out. This year they did and now I am a resident. I still love it.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,660,312 times
1994. My youngest brother and sister-in-law had both found their first jobs after college in Charlotte, and they were getting married. We were living in Waterford, NY at the time, and drove down. The entire family stayed at the Courtyard in Southpark. I remember going to the Original Pancake House for the first time then. I spent some time driving around that area and really liked it. At that time I was considering Atlanta, since we'd been there a few times before, and I had liked what I saw there as well.

After that, since my other sister-in-law lives in Macon, GA, we'd be down from time to time, and I'd always try to stop off in Charlotte, and other cities like Statesville, on our way back home heading up I-77.

Then, I had an offer to work for Wachovia in 1996, so I took it and we moved to Winston-Salem that spring. From then on we'd be in Charlotte many times, to visit, for the speedway, events at Verizon or the Belk Theater, shows at the Neighborhood Theater, Lake Norman, etc. The opportunity to move from the Triad to here finally happened in 2003.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM

149 posts, read 410,461 times
2005... came down for a weekend to work on the new data center that the company I work for opened up. Drove around during the evenings and liked what I saw. In 2008, I decided to ask to relocate and I came down and check things out more seriously. Been here since.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
Thanksgiving weekend, 1988. Was recommended to come here by my (then) husband's parents who drove through on the way to Beaufort, SC where we were living at the time. Lots of jobs here, they said. We were struggling in Beaufort, not many jobs, and those that we had did not pay well. So, we came up for the weekend, drove up and down Independence Blvd looking for places to stay/work. However, pretty much everything was shut for the weekend. so, we came up every weekend after that, found a place to live on Georgia Ave (not realizing that it was a druggie 'hood) and found jobs pretty quickly. I hated it at first, too many flashbacks of living in Chicago (gun fire thru the night as the druggies were shooting out their territory) and it was COLD!! We moved up here just before Christmas and that Jan was this huge snowfall. (1989) However, I had a good job and the ex did, too.
Moved my parents down to Monroe to a group home in Aug 1989.

That Sept. Hugo hit. THAT was fun (NOT)

The ex moved back to Beaufort in March of 1990 and I stayed here because now I had a job and my kids were in school, my parents were here and I didn't want to uproot them again.

Parents ended up moving to Florida later in 1990. I stuck it out. Now, my kids are well settled in and I have a decent job, so, I am still here!!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 AM

407 posts, read 852,105 times
Every year since 1987 we would drive thru Charlotte on I77 to Hilton Head. Often South Charlotte would be our lay over night. In Jan 2005 our daughter had a cheerleading competition and we stayed for several days and explored the area. July 2007 on our way to HH we decided to have a realtor show us homes. Closed on a home end of Aug 2007. Still have not made Huntersville our permanent residence but we gladly make the 7.5 hr trip to enjoy what the area has to offer. My 2009 car has 23,000 miles on it, only about 3,000 miles not amassed on the drive to and from Huntersville. It was really tough last winter returning to Pa, spending an hour and a half just shoveling enough snow to get the car off the street.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 AM

539 posts, read 1,498,895 times
Oct of 2005. Spent a few months researching the area for a possible move and decided that it was time to visit. Could not figure out why it was so hard to get a hotel room for the 5 days/4 nights we needed. Everything seemed to be booked but finally found a Radisson of of 77 and made the trip. That is when I was introduced to/found out about Race Week. I also remember going out to dinner our first night and coming back to the hotel and the parking lot was full of state trooper cars. I was thinking that maybe this was a bad idea coming down here and then realized that the cars were all parked. Turns out that the radisson was the staging ground for the troopers for the race. We were in the safest place in Charlotte that weekend. We came back in Jan of 06 and bought our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte