U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Lansing, MI
2,948 posts, read 6,776,891 times
Reputation: 3266

Advertisements

My quick google search has not given me the answers needed, hoping someone might have a quick overview. Had a couple teenage girls blatantly trespass yesterday afternoon in pasture fields they had to open and close gates to get to. They were ultimately trying to visit my horses. Absolutely no supervision, permission or invitation to be there, and my husband caught them in the act. I suspect this is not the first time they have been back there, and I know where at least one of the girls lives.

My landlord does not want me to get the police involved and would rather "keep peace" in the neighborhood. She said she'd talk to the girl when she sees her at school once it starts.

My husband and I, OTOH, see huge liability factors for us and the property owners. Everyone can be held liable if they are injured in an attempt to visit my animals. I personally would like to address the situation directly with the parents, but I want to know exactly what the laws are so I can politely let them know that the police will be involved if it happens again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,352 posts, read 4,468,134 times
Reputation: 3043
I'm sorry, I don't know the laws, but I'm wondering if there's a different way to approach it. Absolutely, set the boundary that they cannot visit without authorization, and I do think calling the police would be warranted. At the same time, I wonder if you can schedule times that they can visit, with your supervision? So many kids today are deprived of relating to nature on any level, I can understand their desire to see the horses. Not to mention, the draw toward horses that some girls have so strongly. It may be, once they've visited with you several times, you'll get to know them enough to trust that they'll be responsible. (Or, you'll learn otherwise... )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,806 posts, read 32,667,436 times
Reputation: 10247
How about posting no trespassing signs? That sends a very clear message. I would think that that would work for your landlord, since some people have a rather interesting concept on the matter that is cleared up when they see the sign. If they continue to trespass, it's much easier to call the police & get something done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Lansing, MI
2,948 posts, read 6,776,891 times
Reputation: 3266
While I sympathize with allowing young people to have access to horses / nature, etc, that is not an option on this situation. I don't have time, and truly this is a bad time in my life, not to mention the liability should something happen even under my supervision. There is a nice boarding/lessons stable within miles, and Latta Plantation is literally 5 miles away - both of which offer hands on horse experience commercially. She has other options.

The property is posted, but not extremely visible. That will change this evening and no trespassing will be very visible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,806 posts, read 32,667,436 times
Reputation: 10247
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
While I sympathize with allowing young people to have access to horses / nature, etc, that is not an option on this situation. I don't have time, and truly this is a bad time in my life, not to mention the liability should something happen even under my supervision. There is a nice boarding/lessons stable within miles, and Latta Plantation is literally 5 miles away - both of which offer hands on horse experience commercially. She has other options.

The property is posted, but not extremely visible. That will change this evening and no trespassing will be very visible.
I have a similar but different situation. My property was vacant before I bought it & several adults think that it's just fine to wander around in my yard picking poke, in season. The city property behind me is loaded with it. One actually complained that she fell while climbing over my fence to get the poke on the city land. I informed her that she could have walked around it, so she realized that her dreams of a lawsuit didn't hold water. I caught one the other day about to pick the figs on the fig tree.

I put a no trespassing sign in one location but will be posting another between the fig tree & the garden.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
11,839 posts, read 27,670,320 times
Reputation: 2803
If money isn't a problem then this device will solve your problems.
Samsung develops machine gun sentry robot costs $200k - Newlaunches.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,806 posts, read 32,667,436 times
Reputation: 10247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
If money isn't a problem then this device will solve your problems.
Samsung develops machine gun sentry robot costs $200k - Newlaunches.com
I like it. Unfortunately, it's not in my budget & the city would't allow it. It is something that I'll keep in mind for the future, though.

A paintball version could be handy, too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Lansing, MI
2,948 posts, read 6,776,891 times
Reputation: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
If money isn't a problem then this device will solve your problems.
Samsung develops machine gun sentry robot costs $200k - Newlaunches.com
While I enjoy your enthusiasm, just don't have the $200K to cough up... wait, maybe I'll check my couch cushions, BRB!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
11,839 posts, read 27,670,320 times
Reputation: 2803
Maybe there's some TARP money available...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
 
308 posts, read 591,273 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
My quick google search has not given me the answers needed, hoping someone might have a quick overview. Had a couple teenage girls blatantly trespass yesterday afternoon in pasture fields they had to open and close gates to get to. They were ultimately trying to visit my horses. Absolutely no supervision, permission or invitation to be there, and my husband caught them in the act. I suspect this is not the first time they have been back there, and I know where at least one of the girls lives.

My landlord does not want me to get the police involved and would rather "keep peace" in the neighborhood. She said she'd talk to the girl when she sees her at school once it starts.

My husband and I, OTOH, see huge liability factors for us and the property owners. Everyone can be held liable if they are injured in an attempt to visit my animals. I personally would like to address the situation directly with the parents, but I want to know exactly what the laws are so I can politely let them know that the police will be involved if it happens again.
Based on my experience, you must have a "No tresspassing" sign posted. That only gives you the right to have someone arrested for tresspassing. It in no way elliminates you from liability even if trespassing occurs. The land owner will be liable for any injury, but either of you can press charges for trespassing, but you must be able to prove it or catch them in the act.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top