U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 AM

972 posts, read 2,340,261 times

Advertisements

We bought our kids school supplies last night to beat the crowd.

- Over $30 per kid for very basic stuff!
- How do families who are struggling find the extra $? That $30 did not include backpack, clothes, lunch bag, or anything other than actual supplies. I am loading up on extras for the supply donation bins.
- Some teachers are asking for strange things. What does a "floppy" binder really mean? How floppy does it have to be to qualify, but still be usable?
- Why are we asked each year for two BLACK dry erase markers, but these are rarely sold this way? You have to buy two multi-packs with one black each.
- Orange folder? They had a million folders in every other color. But, we have to have an orange.
- Wish they also gave out locker dimensions, fingers crossed the backpack and binder for middle schooler will fit.

When I taught full time, I needed my students to have paper, pencil and something to keep their papers organized. Thats it. I don't care about the specifics. Get what works for your child and budget.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,580,899 times
Not sure if this is the norm here but our school also asks for ziplock bags, paper towels, tissues, anti bacterial lotion, anti bacterial wipes and regular wipes.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,781,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Not sure if this is the norm here but our school also asks for ziplock bags, paper towels, tissues, anti bacterial lotion, anti bacterial wipes and regular wipes.
Yes, they typically ask for things for the whole class to use. Parents, have you had to supply more things as the schools have run out of money? Has anyone noticed an increase in supplies, or weird things on the list?

People who can't afford it don't buy their children supplies. That's why there are donation bins, and generous teachers. Many also wait until tax free weekend when the supplies will be on super sale. That's always when I bought extra supplies for my classroom.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM

972 posts, read 2,340,261 times
Many times I have been told to not give students paper or pencils because it does not teach them responsibility. Geesh. For some it doesn't. For others, it is a small gesture that someone cares about their education.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,886,960 times
Staples has good deals especially if you shop during the week

here is this week flyer
Back to School Savings: Binders, Backpacks, Computers and More! - Staples Weekly Ad

Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,243,367 times
Walmart already has rolled out the deals. Dry erase markers do come two black ones in a pack. I load up on supplies. I have had some from 5 years ago with only one kid. Some of the supplies cannot be used now he is in HS. Like the spiral and composition notebooks. When I see stuff on sale I load up on it glue sticks, and the works.

I usually use a generic list for students, paper, pencils, one inch binder/ paper or sometimes a 5 subject notebook, colored pencils. I still buy what I need personally like dry erase markers. Some stuff can be used across other subjects.

I pick up the pencils in the hallways as I pass them and keep them in a cup for students to use. You won't believe how many pencils students throw away during locker clean out and at the end of the year. I got tired of fighting that I do not have a pencil battle. I just let them know look in the cup, if there no pencils don't ask me

Why antibacterial wipes. At my old school after the mercer scare teachers were given a spray bottles, that could be refilled by the custodians, with a blue liquid that was used for wiping down surfaces in the rooms.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:10 PM

224 posts, read 434,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Yes, they typically ask for things for the whole class to use. Parents, have you had to supply more things as the schools have run out of money? Has anyone noticed an increase in supplies, or weird things on the list?

People who can't afford it don't buy their children supplies. That's why there are donation bins, and generous teachers. Many also wait until tax free weekend when the supplies will be on super sale. That's always when I bought extra supplies for my classroom.

I saw a story about Classroom Central on the news last night and I have about 500 brand new pens with my old company name and phone number on it and various other supplies that I don't use and I'm planning to donate:

Homepage (http://www.classroomcentral.org/index.html - broken link)

The story on the news said that they have been so successful
that they are modeling other stores across the country from the one here in Charlotte. What a great idea!!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,838,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Wow, what next - toilet paper?
Seems like they wouldn't want the little snowflakes exposed to any germs.

We already stocked up since there were some good sales, and even bought extras for when the teacher makes the mid-year plea for more supplies. Since we are doing OK I like to help out the teacher.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:50 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,243,367 times
SOme places split it up where the boys may bring one thing and the girls bring another thing. I cannot see the need for that much ziplock bags. As for paper towels that's s bit much the custodian usually has that. This year I finally used the tissue I had gotten 4 years ago

Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,667,382 times
oYou'll spend less if you don't go out and buy everything at one store and all once. Most of the supply stores will have deals each week. I haven't noticed this year but in years past there have been penny deals for pencils, pens, folders, paper, rulers, erasers,etc. Many of those items (hand sanitizer, zipper bags, dry erase markers, paper towels) can be found at the dollar store. I don't worry if it's not the brand on the list.

A good backpack will last more than one year. DD got one at a yard sale for $5 and it's some sort of army pack so it's very sturdy and should last a loooooong time. She thinks it's cool that it's covered with buckles and extra compartments, lol. Binders also can last more than a year or found at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. A few weeks/months after school starts you can find them brand new on clearance...buy them for next year and save 75%.

We don't buy 'school clothes'. We just buy clothes when the kids need them and when we find a good price. We save money by shopping at the end of the season sales. Kids have a clothing budget of $240 a year and they have more than enough clothes.

On average we spend about $20 to get both kids ready for school. I think all we need this year is a couple of binders. (DD used her own money for the back pack since the one we bought last year is still fine...she passed it on to her cousin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte