U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:37 AM

4,136 posts, read 10,986,845 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am sleeping in my bed, minding my own business, when, for some reason, I wake up to a BAT flying around my bed!

That was at about 1am. I am now WIDE AWAKE and freaked out!

My husband chased it upstairs to another bedroom and finally killed it.

We have NO idea how it got into the house.

UGH!

Dawn
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:54 AM

578 posts, read 2,500,912 times
Ooh, Lord have mercy, I couldn't sleep a wink if I were you!!!!

Old 06-24-2007, 05:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,111,059 times
Default Bats in your bellfry?

Oh my gosh, Dawn! How did that happen...LOL! Bats hunt at dusk and they actually catch mosquitos and bugs. That's a good thing. Probably this one has come in through a crevice in your attic somewhere.

Found this link on a bat conservation website called "Capturing a Bat." This woman is ridiculously calm, but it does show you what to do if you find one in your home....

Bat Conservation International - Capturing A Bat (http://www.batcon.org/video/batcapture/default.asp - broken link)

Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 AM

2,203 posts, read 4,851,306 times
There's a Federal Law against killing bats.
Of course, you wouldn't think about that at 1am after being scared awake!
The same thing has happened to me....they can get in the tiniest cracks in your house.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Ok, well.....just so you know and don't turn me in!!!!!

WE were up for a LOOOONG time trying to shoo the thing out the window we opened for it to fly out of.....we used a broom and tried hard but the thing just kept flying all over. So, in the end, and in the interest of our 3 small children, it did not survive.

Marvin, yes, our master down has a bonus room over it and then some of the bonus area is attic over it. We THINK it came into the attic and then came in through the light fixture in the master shower. There is a huge gap there that we will be filling in today!

Man, that was scary.

Dawn

Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Well, you are right. DH went in to our very large master and shut the door behind him to capture the thing and it flew UNDER THE DOOR (tiny crack) and in to the living room!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
There's a Federal Law against killing bats.
Of course, you wouldn't think about that at 1am after being scared awake!
The same thing has happened to me....they can get in the tiniest cracks in your house.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:35 AM

476 posts, read 1,519,738 times
Yikes! I am glad all is well for you guys. I have to say that my first thought would not have been the law about the bats at that point with small children home either.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 AM

2,203 posts, read 4,851,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Ok, well.....just so you know and don't turn me in!!!!!

WE were up for a LOOOONG time trying to shoo the thing out the window we opened for it to fly out of.....we used a broom and tried hard but the thing just kept flying all over. So, in the end, and in the interest of our 3 small children, it did not survive.

Marvin, yes, our master down has a bonus room over it and then some of the bonus area is attic over it. We THINK it came into the attic and then came in through the light fixture in the master shower. There is a huge gap there that we will be filling in today!

Man, that was scary.

Dawn
I'd never tell!

That has actually happened to me...one flew into our ceiling fan, and when I woke up...my cat was trying to eat it.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,694,623 times
Haha, y'all are grossing me out!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Oh, did you need to to add the story of the snake in our basement or the snake in the neighbor's garage (it fell from the rafters and hit her HEAD on the way down!)

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Haha, y'all are grossing me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte