Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Rochester Hills, Mi
812 posts, read 1,898,343 times
Reputation: 421

Advertisements

Any experience with the elementary school options with CMS. Thought the Montessori, Language immersion and Padaeia (sp?) ones looked interesting. Is it almost impossible to get into the programs? What is the process? Do you just sign up or do the kids get tested for the various programs?

Wasn't sure if they just sounded good "on paper" or if they really are good for the kids. We are hoping to be in the area next year when the oldest starts Kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 8,148,552 times
Reputation: 4419
We haven't had any success getting our child into the Montessori Schools. Even though our home school is title 1, we are no better than 133rd on any list.

I don't know about competition for language immersion, but if it's as stiff as the Montessori competition you better have a back up plan..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Reputation: 40194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
We haven't had any success getting our child into the Montessori Schools. Even though our home school is title 1, we are no better than 133rd on any list.

I don't know about competition for language immersion, but if it's as stiff as the Montessori competition you better have a back up plan..

The Montessori public schools are VERY popular and hard to get in to - and with good reason - Montessori is fantastic

At this point in the year with school just about to start up again any newcomer will have fewer options with the best magnets and charters. The best they can probably do is wait until next January to apply for the lottery for the 2011 school year. However, there are great neighborhood schools out there. Any newcomer wants to chose their new neighborhood carefully and they will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Reputation: 40194
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
Any experience with the elementary school options with CMS. Thought the Montessori, Language immersion and Padaeia (sp?) ones looked interesting. Is it almost impossible to get into the programs? What is the process? Do you just sign up or do the kids get tested for the various programs?

Wasn't sure if they just sounded good "on paper" or if they really are good for the kids. We are hoping to be in the area next year when the oldest starts Kindergarten.

Okay, just caught that you are talking about NEXT school year, not this one. You'll need to establish a residence in Charlotte by next January to apply for the magnets you are interested in. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Rochester Hills, Mi
812 posts, read 1,898,343 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, just caught that you are talking about NEXT school year, not this one. You'll need to establish a residence in Charlotte by next January to apply for the magnets you are interested in. Best of luck!
No problemo! BUT good to know we need to know something by January. I hope we have something lined up before then. I keep smoozing hubby with info and reasons to get back to CLT from Catawba County. I know CMS has its fair share of problems since I get the CLT stations! BUT at least they offer choices. HERE-no choices, lmtd options, and I feel like I have to censor everything I say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: midwest transplant
370 posts, read 749,050 times
Reputation: 243
We got into both of our first choice magnet schools. One middle, (IB) one elementary, (creative arts), and our youngest is going to our home school elementary (PSE) because it is A FABULOUS school. The only reason we made the choice to move our 3rd grader is b/c his learning style is more 'hands on'. He did very well in the traditional classroom, so I am sure he will do GREAT in an environment more geared towards him.

I am very excited...

This will be our first year, so I hope I can come back and give rave reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Rochester Hills, Mi
812 posts, read 1,898,343 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
We got into both of our first choice magnet schools. One middle, (IB) one elementary, (creative arts), and our youngest is going to our home school elementary (PSE) because it is A FABULOUS school. The only reason we made the choice to move our 3rd grader is b/c his learning style is more 'hands on'. He did very well in the traditional classroom, so I am sure he will do GREAT in an environment more geared towards him.

I am very excited...

This will be our first year, so I hope I can come back and give rave reviews.
congrats! Did you just submit a form online? Child interview/testing? I was reading for some of the elementary programs (talent development I think??) that your child was guaranteed middle school IB enrollment but otherwise you had to apply for further admission as they got older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: midwest transplant
370 posts, read 749,050 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
congrats! Did you just submit a form online? Child interview/testing? I was reading for some of the elementary programs (talent development I think??) that your child was guaranteed middle school IB enrollment but otherwise you had to apply for further admission as they got older.
The OB schools are reserved for students who achieve a certain EOG score.

Within that group they are divided by TD scores and EOG scores more specifically. In other words, you have 'honors' which are the top performers in the IB program in certain classes and than the regular classes. *which in theory, should still be top performers in a traditional school)

We did the online app. When my middle child gets to 6th grade, he will have to audition for Northwest School of the Arts as admission is not guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,251,625 times
Reputation: 290
From experience I can tell you that the montessori programs are very good, at Park Road Montessori (that school was Amay James Montessori years ago and the 'original' montessori (public) in CMS. The others are good, but my understanding is that they are not quite as strong.
Same with the IB middle years. Davidson considered a great school, while the others get good to mixed reviews.
I have heard good things about Smith Language Immersion. One of the great things about that program is that it is k-8 and, ideally, you will not have to do the school shuffle during the crazy middle school years. Montessori just added a 7th grade program and wil grow a grade per year...but it is yet to be seen how well that does and if parents will buy into montessori beyong the elem. years.

Finally, as LovesMountains said, there are some very good neighborhood schools out there too! Best of luck---
Taben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
 
104 posts, read 307,506 times
Reputation: 52
Here are 2 links for CMS magnets. The first is just the general magnet home page. The 2nd has the actually lottery results. So you can see your chances of getting in.

Home

Lottery Results

Be careful because registration must be done before lottery selection. The deadline for registration is usually around mid Dec and it must be done in person at your home school.

The charter schools will be starting their open houses in about 2 months. Their deadlines range from mid January to late March. Each school is a seperate application.
The list for the NC charter schools in the area can be found here;
North Carolina Office of Charter Schools

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top