Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 AM

211 posts, read 501,410 times

Advertisements

moved to a new place and there are **** roaches..... i never saw one til today.... wahhhhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:37 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
before you unpack, go to your local hardware store and buy bug bombs. One for each room. Set them off, come back and then clean them up (they will be dead). Be sure to wipe down all counters/cabinets with disinfectant afterwards and before you unpack anything. You may have to repeat this in a month or so, but, as long as you keep everything scrupulously clean (and your neighbours are not infested) you should be ok.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Boric acid is inexpensive and very effective! It's safer for pets, too. I used it to good effect in a house I was renting that got overrun when the house next door was demolished.

Cockroach Elimination | University of Kentucky Entomology

Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,027 times
Ugh I am feeling chills just thinking about them. I hate roaches too. Good luck getting rid of them. If you are renting, maybe the landlord will invest in a pest control service? My house in Illinois is being rented, and we are keeping up with the Terminex over there. I feel that it's my responsibility to keep the house free of pests while it's still my house

Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,606 times
Boric acid powder worked well when I had to eliminate the nasty buggers from an apartment. Push the powder into cracks and into baseboards, back into cabinets that are on the floor, etc. It's cheaper and less (way less) toxic than bug bombs. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,987 times
If you bomb, be prepared to do it at least 1 more time. My husband had a roach infestation in his company provided work truck (EWWWWW!!!! ) and we had to bomb it 3 times x2 bombs each time to get them really dead. They hid in small areas and crevices the first 2 bombs, so it was less effective.

If you've unpacked any of your stuff, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN it before unpacking anything else. Roaches are horrible to deal with.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
My husband had a roach infestation in his company provided work truck (EWWWWW!!!! ) and we had to bomb it 3 times x2 bombs each time to get them really dead.
Umm, I don't know what would be worse - discovering one while you are watching TV or one while you are driving 70 miles an hour!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
I've had roaches since I bought my home ten years ago. I might see 10-20 a year, but where there's one, there's many more hidden away, so it is said. This year I tried the Ortho Max bug barrier spray, and I've seen only two roaches so far. I think one of those flew in when I opened the back door. I've seen a marked decrease in slugs, spiders and other creepy crawlies too. The $7 and hour I spent applying it has been worth it, IMHO.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Umm, I don't know what would be worse - discovering one while you are watching TV or one while you are driving 70 miles an hour!
Tough call! Driving probably wins though. Can't just slam on the brakes....well you could...but umm it wouldn't end well.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 PM

211 posts, read 501,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Ugh I am feeling chills just thinking about them. I hate roaches too. Good luck getting rid of them. If you are renting, maybe the landlord will invest in a pest control service? My house in Illinois is being rented, and we are keeping up with the Terminex over there. I feel that it's my responsibility to keep the house free of pests while it's still my house

I have great landlords!!! they already called the termix company to stop by!

coming from chicago, you would expect cockroaches to be in ghetto now down here, its everywhere those slimy ******'s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: