U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM

368 posts, read 884,419 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere to buy raw milk in Charlotte, specifically near zip code 28209/Myers Park?

I tried googling, but could only find unhelpful info about private membership co-ops and delivery services.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM

196 posts, read 404,855 times
I don't know about the laws there in NC, but in Oregon, its against the law to sell raw milk for human consumption, and farmers cannot advertise- I am guessing it is a similair situation in NC, and thus you can find very little information. Co-ops are common here, and the communities that produce and consume raw milk are close knit. Your only option may be to reach out to the faming communites or join a shareholders program. I don't think you find much open information.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 PM

23,806 posts, read 31,654,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Is there anywhere to buy raw milk in Charlotte, specifically near zip code 28209/Myers Park?

I tried googling, but could only find unhelpful info about private membership co-ops and delivery services.
Here's an article from 2008. In it it says that raw milk is legal in SC. You might want to check on the SC board. Raw Milk back on the table in N.C. « The Bovine

ETA Here's a state by state chart. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...6-raw-milk.htm

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-12-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 11:36 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,355,199 times
One thing to be careful of: Some farmers have had bad reports when visited by inspectors. Ended up closed down. To continue to make money on their milk they began to sell the milk to citizens looking for it such as yourself. The problem is that someone has now died being tied to bacteria from the milk that came from the farmer.

In short, I am not trying to discourage you from consuming unpasterized milk, but be informed on who you are buying it from.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 AM

637 posts, read 1,073,131 times
I agree with mike052082.

While it's possible to get raw milk in, say, South Carolina, it's hard to tell from the milk container what the farm might be like, or the quality of the milk, or how they deal with it throughout the milking-to-container procedure.

We're from California, and were able to get raw organic milk, which is subject to some pretty stringent rules and oversight. It also tasted far better and sweeter than what we got here. (Anecdotally, our bodies also responded to it better.)

Since we can't (I think) name names here, here's a tip: if you locate a farm you're interested in, use Google maps and Bing.com maps to get an overhead view of the farm. Zoom in and see if you can see anything that looks like ... oh, say, cows.

I mention this because I'd heard of one particular SC farm that distributes near the NC border. Over a period of time, neither Google maps nor Bing maps showed any cows ... nor did they show anything like the photos shown on the farmer's website (e.g., buildings), nor any fields that had been grazed. I saw fields that had been mowed, yes, but really only one small-ish field at any given time. And mowing is not the same as grazing.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 AM

330 posts, read 984,090 times
Sent you a PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,217,682 times
I grew up drinking raw milk from cows and goats. We simply boiled it first and never a problem. Just like licking the cake batter from off the spoon again no problems. I guess times have changed and FYI I am not that old. Don't mean to go off topic. Just wondering what happened to those times.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 AM

3,361 posts, read 9,493,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I grew up drinking raw milk from cows and goats. We simply boiled it first and never a problem. Just like licking the cake batter from off the spoon again no problems. I guess times have changed and FYI I am not that old. Don't mean to go off topic. Just wondering what happened to those times.
Never even boiled it when I drank it as a kid.

I still eat the cake batter difference is make it from scratch none of these chemical compounds.

Anyway back on topic heading west I have seen the milk avaliable, never seen any around charlotte.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 AM

847 posts, read 1,262,457 times
My grandfather milk cows for a living most of his life. When I was young, I can remember drinking milk straight from the huge container that the farm kept it in. They even had a ladle to catch it in.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,055,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ETA Here's a state by state chart. USATODAY.com
According to this in NC (and 23 other states and DC as well) it is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>