U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,340,478 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old single male and have been in Charlotte for about a year. All of my friendships I've made over the past year are centered around the bar/club scene and for various reasons I am finding myself going out much less than I once did. What would be my best options for meeting other people my own age and making new friends outside the bar/club scene? It seems like social life at my age is centered around alcohol and while I still enjoy the occasional night at the bar, I am starting to realize there is more to life than that. I am a very well rounded person so I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM

11,838 posts, read 27,016,643 times
What are your interests, other than drinking?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,057,038 times
Check out Meetup.com There are many groups you can join. The Go Social Club is very active.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 AM

3,524 posts, read 10,030,389 times
I was thinking about joining one of the upcoming adult team kickball events that will be starting soon. I'm thinking it might be a great way to meet other folks from the area.

GOkickball - Your premier social experience.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 AM

14,691 posts, read 25,076,490 times
I met several girlfriends (and my wife) through Match.comĀ® | The #1 Online Dating Site for Singles & Personals. You have to work at it but like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 AM

23,806 posts, read 31,667,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am a 25 year old single male and have been in Charlotte for about a year. All of my friendships I've made over the past year are centered around the bar/club scene and for various reasons I am finding myself going out much less than I once did. What would be my best options for meeting other people my own age and making new friends outside the bar/club scene? It seems like social life at my age is centered around alcohol and while I still enjoy the occasional night at the bar, I am starting to realize there is more to life than that. I am a very well rounded person so I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.
Why not volunteer to help with public computers at a library for a couple of hours a week. Sometimes people who have computers go to a library to work on something with a group. Sometimes they are there because their computer or printer is having a problem, too. You never know.

Where I used to live a young man did that for a while & he commented to me when I went (Because my printer died & I needed to do something right then.) that he was surprised by the number of people he was meeting.

Just a thought. . .

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM

140 posts, read 255,622 times
I would also recommend meetup.com. There are many groups to choose from.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:34 AM

716 posts, read 1,451,160 times
Just don't try saying hi to anyone. I have tried saying hi to people here and many times they don't reply back or they just walk past with their head down.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM

1,617 posts, read 3,664,563 times
I've been here five years and I haven't met a large group of friends like what I had where I used to live. Most people I know here are co-workers. My job doesn't help much, though; I stay out of town 4-5 days per week. I need to get out and meet some people too, maybe through meetup.com. I'm a 32 y/o single guy and left the bar/club scene in my mid 20's.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 AM

23,263 posts, read 12,517,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Check out Meetup.com There are many groups you can join. The Go Social Club is very active.
This.

If you're athletic at all, you could try joining a CrossFit gym/box. They are very team oriented and have "outings" pretty frequently. And you'll get into better shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>