Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM

310 posts, read 1,699,853 times

Advertisements

Helping out some friends who are trying to rent a small house in a town outside Huntersville (for 30 -35min commute to a job there.) Looking at 2bdrm houses for under $700/mth rent & trying to get a place quickly for the start of the school year, have to get a 12-yr-old child into 6th grade, will need public school. This girl has never lived in a large city, is used to living in the country (in another state) & used to going to a very small local school. Hoping for a similar situation here in NC. Looking at towns like Concord and Kannapolis (along with Belmont & Mr Holly.) Might have to decide between renting a house in Kannapolis (more for the money) vs. renting a place in Concord.

Which town is safer, with lower crime rates-- Concord or Kannapolis?

Are public schools better in Concord than in Kannapolis? (better reputations, better for a country girl used to a small school?) Are Kannapolis schools OK? In Kannapolis, it looks like she would have to first go to an intermediate elementary school for 5th & 6th graders before going on to the middle school for 7th & 8th graders. (Seems kinda strange, why not just a middle school?) Public high school in Kannapolis (if they stay there that long) would be A L Brown High School, which is actually very close to the interm. elem school. (Are these two schools in a "bad" area with higher crime? the middle school looks like it's in a much nicer neighborhood.)

Anyone know about the reputations of these Kannapolis public schools? OK for a girl used to a small country school? Would Concord public schools be better? (they already know that Mt Holly/Belmont public schools have excellent reputations but might not be able to find a rental house there.)

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM

310 posts, read 1,699,853 times
In Kannapolis, one of the rental houses they're looking at is on Maplewood Ave in the Shady Brook area of Kannapolis. The other house is on Barlow Ave near Bethpage Rd.

Any opinions about these areas? Crime, safety, types of neighborhoods, etc?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
Kannapolis: I do not know specifically why the grades are split that way, but it is not unusual to break out grades based on space needs and to better serve the students based on different levels of maturity (9th grade centers are another example, as are K-2 and 3-6 schools), I have only briefly been in the high school for Kannapolis, but not any of their other schools. It felt more urban to me than most Cabarrus County schools (Concord). The staff I have met were all young, energetic and very happy with their jobs. That is always a good sign. The school system received a large technology donation, which is exciting: Kannapolis City Schools, Kannapolis, NC

Concord: Look at the Cabarrus County School System. To be closer to Huntersville, you would be looking at the west side of 85, which would be Harris Road Middle and NW Cabarrus Middle, both excellent schools. Demographically, these schools are considered to be more rural. Harris is one of the largest middle schools in the state, in part because a new middle school will not open in time to ease crowding.

In all cases, middle school is arranged into teams, where the same group of students share 4 core teachers (mathematics, science, social students, english language arts). Their classes and lockers are all in the same area. Movement between classes and common areas, such as gym and the cafeteria, are times to minimize how often the different grades come together. It is for crowd and noise control. But it is also reassuring to 6th graders to not have to force their way through a bunch of 8th graders.

Middle school teachers have a special understanding of this age. Odds are, no matter which school she goes to, they will help with the transistion.

Last edited by msm_teacher; 08-20-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: (fixed tech donation info)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM

6 posts, read 8,560 times
depends where you live in concord/kannapolis crime wise. i live in concord in an apartment complex, in the past month my neighbor has had his car broken into and then stolen. but my 30,000 dollar truck has remained untouched. I own a few houses in the ghetto in kannapolis and trust me, its ghetto. be wary and drive around alot, investigate the area. just a warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte