U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,243,096 times
Reputation: 6800

Advertisements

had her second litter 4 weeks ago. Now I have 8 kittens wobbling around in my yard. So I need to find homes for these in a couple weeks. Besides a CL listing, does anyone know of a place that would take them all at one time?

I've had the kittens from her first litter fixed, and will do the same for the mama cat when the kittens reach 6 weeks. But getting 8 kittens fixed is definitely out of my budget.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,243,096 times
Reputation: 6800
Late night bump. Someone must have dealt with this kind of thing before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,872,658 times
Reputation: 2327
There is a feral cat organization here in Charlotte that could help...Friends of Feral Felines - Charlotte NC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,243,096 times
Reputation: 6800
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
There is a feral cat organization here in Charlotte that could help...Friends of Feral Felines - Charlotte NC
They just took care of the two kittens from mama cat's previous litter, at about half of what the Humane Society charges. Same doctors, less money, but it was still $80 out of my pocket. To get 9 cats fixed will be nearly $400, and I can't afford that for strays. And they only take two at a time.

I really need to rehome them ASAP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,872,658 times
Reputation: 2327
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
They just took care of the two kittens from mama cat's previous litter, at about half of what the Humane Society charges. Same doctors, less money, but it was still $80 out of my pocket. To get 9 cats fixed will be nearly $400, and I can't afford that for strays. And they only take two at a time.

I really need to rehome them ASAP.
did they not have any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,243,096 times
Reputation: 6800
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
did they not have any suggestions?
There's some program that will fix some cats sometimes if they have some funding from some beneficiary but for the most part, no, they didn't have anything to offer except the spay and neuter I just did. Those kittens were 5-6 months old, so I had to do something about them. I don't need a yard full of cats, and the neighbors toms have been circling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,186 posts, read 7,456,949 times
Reputation: 2178
Does the Momma Cat not come up to you? I am curious as to why she wouldn't be the first priority with being spayed? We always do the adults first and then take the kittens to the shelter. In fact our shelter has a program where if you bring the Momma and Kittens, they will take the kittens to put up for adoption and take care of spaying the Momma for free. We have utilized that a couple of times but we seem to have males only these days so the moment they are friendly, we get them neutered through our vet that discounts the surgery. It sounds like it may be worth your while to put an ad on craigslist soliciting help to capture all the cats for the spay/neuter program in your area to alter ASAP. We work with Project Catsnip - not sure if they work in your area too, but we had to recruit people to help trap cats in an apartment community. We ended up getting over 40 cats spayed and neutered that weekend. It wasn't easy but it sure was rewarding knowing that there were mousers out there that couldn't create other mousers! Good Luck! I hope you figure this out and stop this before it gets too out of control!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Lost in Space
348 posts, read 800,182 times
Reputation: 767
It doesn't sound like your neighbors will help pitch in for getting them fixed? It's sad that people castaway their pets and this is what happens. You are a kind soul for trying to help. So, how about facebook? Do you have a Petco in the area which might have pet adoption days? Research animals rescue groups and hopefully put something out on facebook. Also, some vets might have recommendations and might know people who can take them.

Alley01 has some great ideas -- and kudos for doing what you do.

Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,243,096 times
Reputation: 6800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Does the Momma Cat not come up to you? I am curious as to why she wouldn't be the first priority with being spayed? We always do the adults first and then take the kittens to the shelter. In fact our shelter has a program where if you bring the Momma and Kittens, they will take the kittens to put up for adoption and take care of spaying the Momma for free. We have utilized that a couple of times but we seem to have males only these days so the moment they are friendly, we get them neutered through our vet that discounts the surgery. It sounds like it may be worth your while to put an ad on craigslist soliciting help to capture all the cats for the spay/neuter program in your area to alter ASAP. We work with Project Catsnip - not sure if they work in your area too, but we had to recruit people to help trap cats in an apartment community. We ended up getting over 40 cats spayed and neutered that weekend. It wasn't easy but it sure was rewarding knowing that there were mousers out there that couldn't create other mousers! Good Luck! I hope you figure this out and stop this before it gets too out of control!

So where is your program?? It sounds like exactly what I want to find.

The mama was a stray that really seemed to want a friend, and at the time I was kinda sorta maybe looking for a cat as a pet. She would wander around my house, eat the food I put out for her, but did NOT want to come inside. I have the scars to prove it. So that's how we got along, until she got pregnant. Three kittens later it started to seem like a good idea to get her fixed, but I waited too long. One of the kittens disappeared one night a couple weeks ago, and I got the other two taken care of a week later, since they are of mating age.

I need to get the mama fixed as soon as the kittens are weaned. Until I find another source, I guess I'll need to go the Friends of Feral Felines route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,243,096 times
Reputation: 6800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
It doesn't sound like your neighbors will help pitch in for getting them fixed? It's sad that people castaway their pets and this is what happens. You are a kind soul for trying to help. So, how about facebook? Do you have a Petco in the area which might have pet adoption days? Research animals rescue groups and hopefully put something out on facebook. Also, some vets might have recommendations and might know people who can take them.

Alley01 has some great ideas -- and kudos for doing what you do.

Good luck.

I've looked into a variety of options, but everything either costs $$$ or is unavailable to me for a variety of reasons. Thanks for your input, I'll keep looking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top