Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

If you could share five things to know about Charlotte, what would they be?
Examples (please note, I made these up, they're just examples):
1. It's nice to go hiking in so-and-so public gardens.
2. Get your driver license on a certain day when the lines are faster.
3. You can arrange for your utility bills to be averaged out during the year so you don't get a high summer bill.
4. The city was once famous for...
5. Lots of people like to....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:22 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,556 times
1. Even residents need to keep a street map handy.
2. Charlotte is perfectly situated between the mountains and the ocean, providing easy access to many weekend destinations.
3. February is the worst month for weather, and it's not so bad.
4. The public schools are not as bad as you keep hearing. It's the administration that is so challenging, and it's definitely improving with the pending decentralization.
5. Every weekend from spring through fall you have probably hundreds of choices for outdoor music.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 29,670 times
1. City Tavern has an excellent Sunday brunch - two locations - Ballantyne ( Stonecrest Shopping Center) and Dilworth ( East Blvd). The Dilworth location is close to the stadium.

2. City Pass book (coupons for stores & restaurants) is a little pricey, but well worth the money if you like to eat out!

3. Want a real taste of Charlotte? Go to Bar B Q King on Wilkinson Blvd. Also, Price's Chicken Coop in South End. These places look like holes in the wall but this is the REAL Charlotte.

4. There is no historic district downtown. Most of our historical sites have been gutted over the years. The oldest remaining building is the Hezzekiah Alexander Homesite built in 1774. And there's the Latta Planation. It’s not near downtown but it’s interesting.

5. Don’t go into City Centre on a Sunday. Unless a sporting event is at the arena or a performance at the performing arts center, nothing will be going on in town. Also, smart people hibernate during race week, because it can get crazy. It’s a smart move to go to Asheville over race week.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,680 times
1. Roads always change names at least once!
2. Carowinds is a lot of fun for both kids and adults
3. Many very cool and interesting places to see/things to do
4. People here have the best of Southern Hospitality
5. Carolina style BBQ is a must for everyone

Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM

478 posts, read 959,650 times
1. If you like shopping, you will love it here. It is like one gigantic mall, interupted by a series of smaller strip malls, drug stores, banks, chain and fast food restuarants. Indeed, it is the geography of nowhere. Every corner looks similar to the one you've just passed. Most of the area lacks any type of character.

2. It is the capital of soccer mom's who drive 6-ton suv's while talking on cell phones. Some like to multi task, and put on make up while fiddling with their Celine Dion cd's.

3. If you are looking to work with inner city youth, Charlotte is home to one of the largest gang populations in the country. Fluency in Spanish is desirable, please.

4. Absolute ridiculous number of vehicles on roadways designed for 1/4 of the amount of traffic. Luckily, you have the aforementioned soccer moms in their battaliacs, in addition to NASCAR-in-training cretins and the explosion of illegal immigrants on the highways... just to make the driving more interesting.

5. You can buy a 2,500-3,000 sq ft. home for much less than other parts of the country... but be prepared to spend a great deal time in it during the 5 or so sweltering summer months... where everyday is seemingly 95 degrees. Or, to mix things up, you could always go to the mall to cool off. Did I mention they have lots of shopping here?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 PM

46 posts, read 144,595 times
Default why

do you continue to live in Charlotte?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
PJ i was thinking the same thing...and well Nevada actually has other than California one of the most gang populated areas...and wow I guess I will do great because I LOVE TO SHOP...and well I hate the cold here and the snow, and I dont mind the heat and did I mention I LOVE TO SHOP....I guess I will fit right in...and immigrants well im born and raised in NY and live in NJ so umm I highly doubt there are as many as here......thanks for enlightening us...

Old 02-24-2007, 06:04 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
highest gang population?????? no way!

I had more gang kids in my inner-city Los Angeles high school where I taught than there are in all of Charlotte!

There was a news clip stated on TV that stated, "There are possibly over 800 gang members in Charlotte. What does this mean for the safety of your family???" PLEASE!

I don't know that I have 5 things, but I can think of a few.

1. Charlotte is a very CLEAN city. I have seen very little graffiti. Much of the city is new.

2. I resemble the SUV soccer mom....although my kids' sport is golf.

3. If you are coming from a larger city, there will be things where you came from that won't be here. It may be frustrating. (I really wanted to take some classes that are not available here.)

4. Most people in Charlotte are not FROM here. I often (most of the time) don't feel like I am in the South at all.

5. There are all kinds of cultural events if you look for them. We are heading to our 3rd Chinese New Year party next weekend!

Dawn

Old 02-24-2007, 10:00 AM

478 posts, read 959,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
highest gang population?????? no way!

I had more gang kids in my inner-city Los Angeles high school where I taught than there are in all of Charlotte!

There was a news clip stated on TV that stated, "There are possibly over 800 gang members in Charlotte. What does this mean for the safety of your family???" PLEASE!

I don't know that I have 5 things, but I can think of a few.

1. Charlotte is a very CLEAN city. I have seen very little graffiti. Much of the city is new.

2. I resemble the SUV soccer mom....although my kids' sport is golf.

3. If you are coming from a larger city, there will be things where you came from that won't be here. It may be frustrating. (I really wanted to take some classes that are not available here.)

4. Most people in Charlotte are not FROM here. I often (most of the time) don't feel like I am in the South at all.

5. There are all kinds of cultural events if you look for them. We are heading to our 3rd Chinese New Year party next weekend!

Dawn
I didn't say it had the highest gang population, I said one of the highest... Really though, more accurately, I just read that it has one of the fastest growing gang populations. Hello illegal aliens! And for cities over 500,000 in size, Charlotte is already ranked as the 8th most crime ridden in the country. But whatever - I probably shouldn't have even mentioned that gang stuff - because you are right - it probably won't ever effect you and your family anyways. I just thought it was a nice little additional feature that Charlotte has to offer. What I should have said was, in general, Charlotte has a nasty little crime problem. And for a city that offers, in my opinion, little else - that makes it a pretty darn undesirable place.

And for the person who asked why I am still here... I am leaving in 4 months. And hey - I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade if you are moving here, or just moved here and are genuinely happy - that's cool. Aside from housing costs though, I just cannot fully understand the attraction to this area. Oh well, to each his own...

Last edited by Berkshires413; 02-24-2007 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 11:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Well, sorry for misquoting you. Maybe I am naive but coming from LA I don't see it as much of a problem....but it could be someday.

As for the illegal immigrant comment, not sure I should go there! I am sure there are people on both sides of that fence here (ok, no pun intended!) Having taught mostly illegal immigrants in LA, I think I may have an unpopular view anyway. And I do wonder how many of the gang members in the area are African American gangs???? I honestly haven't even looking into it here.

Where are you moving to????

There are places I would rather live than Charlotte, I have made no secret of that on this board.....but I can't afford to move back to where I came from unless I want a tiny shack with no yard for the kids and lots of long hours working. And I am finally making friends and finding places I can fit in.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
I didn't say it had the highest gang population, I said one of the highest... Really though, more accurately, I just read that it has one of the fastest growing gang populations. Hello illegal aliens! And for cities over 500,000 in size, Charlotte is already ranked as the 8th most crime ridden in the country. But whatever - I probably shouldn't have even mentioned that gang stuff - because you are right - it probably won't ever effect you and your family anyways. I just thought it was a nice little additional feature that Charlotte has to offer. What I should have said was, in general, Charlotte has a nasty little crime problem. And for a city that offers, in my opinion, little else - that makes it a pretty darn undesirable place.

And for the person who asked why I am still here... I am leaving in 4 months. And hey - I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade if you are moving here, or just moved here and are genuinely happy - that's cool. Aside from housing costs though, I just cannot fully understand the attraction to this area. Oh well, to each his own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte