Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:38 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,695,687 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find advantages/disadvantages to Highland Creek area vs. Huntersville (Gilead Rd. area). I am a first time home buyer, hoping to have children in the next few years. I work at the University and my wife works in Huntersville.

Highland Creek - Advantages-Cheaper housing prices
-More trees and nicer "feel" (Exit 23 feels too much like a House Farm to me)
-Lots of golf near by
-High School - North. Meck. appears to be better rated then Hopewell and that area is getting a new H.S. that appears to be under construction
-No 77 traffic to deal with

Highland Creek - Disadvantages-Longer commute to uptown
-Housing may not appreciate as fast
-Possibly less sophisticated with many cheaper houses near by

Can anyone else help or add comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 AM

23 posts, read 67,924 times
Highland Creek is not a "town" whereas Huntersville is... Meaning: Farmer's Market; Pubic Library; et al. Whenever I've been to someone's home in Highland Creek, I felt as if I was in a maze... Way too large a development for me.

There are more development in H'sville not mentioned: Centinnel; Vermillion: Monteith; and MANY more. Managable sized neighborhoods except Wynfield!

Just my opinion. It really comes down to personal choice.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 AM

132 posts, read 469,865 times
Hi There. I live in HC. In fact we moved to Atlanta 4 years ago, and recently move back to a new home in HC. Yes, we lived here and chose to move back here. Why? Because it fits our family and our lifestyle. We like the size and feel of the neighborhood. Yes, it's big, but to me it doesn't feel huge or maze like LOL. This is a Master planned community with HOA...it's not for everyone!

Huntersville to me is a mess. Traffic there is out of control. I don't go there unless I can help it on the weekend. That being said, it does have a lot to offer. We see our primary care doctors- both adult and pediatricians there. It's close to the lake, and has some great neighborhoods.

I think it is all in what you are looking for in an area. HC isn't a town, but everything else is close to us! The resale is amazing in the area, and homes have appreciated a TON since we moved. We sold our old house 4 years ago for $150-ish (4br/2.5 bath) and now it would be worth $200 at least, and homes appear to be selling really quickly.

As I said...could have lived anywhere in the Charlotte area- NC/ SC, and we came back to HC. We know tons of families who have moved/ are moving within the community. HC is very family friendly and has a great Mecklenburg School- HC Elementary and a great Cabarrus school- Cox Mill. You can't go wrong on either school IMO.

I say visit both areas during different times of the day- check the commute on a workday, then pick what fits your lifestyle

Good Luck!

Anita

Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,892,143 times
I have lived in both areas. I am now in Huntersville but just today I was up at Highland Creek Golf Course and I really miss that area. It's close to all that Huntersville has to offer plus has easy interstate access. I like the established neighborhood at HC.

As far as schools, N Meck has a larger problem with overcrowding than Hopewell. Both are ok schools though.

Finally, I personally saw more appreciation in Huntersville on my home. When I moved from the HC area in Nov 2003, sellers like me in HC were experiencing a lot of competition from new homes being built in the area of Mallard Creek/Prosperity Church Rd. With building slowed, that may no longer be an issue.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either area. Good luck--

Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,695,687 times
Thanks again everyone. Any insight as to why HC is cheaper then Huntersville?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 PM

117 posts, read 404,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Thanks again everyone. Any insight as to why HC is cheaper then Huntersville?
I think it depends on the builder. Highland Creek has a good range of prices!

Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM

55 posts, read 158,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmac View Post
I think it depends on the builder. Highland Creek has a good range of prices!
Are there any builders in Highland Creek that are worth avoiding? Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 AM

246 posts, read 580,311 times
What do you define as "cheap"?

Also, please define "less sophisticated." Huntersville isn't exactly the cultural center of the Universe.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 AM

132 posts, read 469,865 times
BacktoNC- What is your price range? Are you looking for new construction only? It will be easier to give you insight if we have a better idea of where you are looking. As gabmac said, there is a good range of prices!

Anita

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM

55 posts, read 158,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearsmom View Post
BacktoNC- What is your price range? Are you looking for new construction only? It will be easier to give you insight if we have a better idea of where you are looking. As gabmac said, there is a good range of prices!

Anita
It's under 210K, if possible. We're coming from an economically stagnant area. Still, I'd rather wait to buy if it means getting a poor builder in that price range - or having to buy in an iffy/transitioning/starter-type neighborhood. Just wondering if the less expensive homes in HC equated less reliable builders, or the builders in HC are all reputable. (We are choosing to understand the who the builder is in resales, too.)

No, don't need new. In fact, in many ways, we prefer a year or two old home, as that gives time for the house to settle and show foundation cracks, etc..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte