U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 22,866 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to why so many northerners move down to Charlotte? What does Charlotte have that other cities do not? It almost seems like Charlotte (and North Carolina as a whole) is the new Florida for relocating. I've considered it but it seems like it's more of a family city, and I'm 25 and single.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,870,254 times
This is just my opinion or analysis Florida no longer is cheap my feel of reality of it.
Also the realization that Summer is to HOT.
You can expierence 4 Seasons that Autumn last longer & Dont have to worry about heavy winter coats
or Snow blowers. Plenty of snow threads on this forum.
North Carolina you can visit where you come from in less than a days car trip.
Less than 16 hours . I use Portland Maine for the example.
Snow charlotte - Google Search city data ranks fifth
Alot of good threads .

Good thread topic

Old 09-05-2010, 02:57 PM

747 posts, read 1,623,747 times
No more harsh midwest Winters, but still get seasons. Good schools. Good home prices and property taxes. NASCAR (just kidding). Relative proximity to the ocean.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,246,592 times
For me personally, it was a place to start a marriage and a family that felt the most comfortable to me when I visited. Since I work in the bank industry, that helped sway Charlotte over Raleigh or Lousiville. And bobo, for some of us, the homes are more expensive

Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 PM

701 posts, read 1,265,477 times
For the price of a one bedroom condo in the northeast, you can get a large house in Charlotte. Health insurance is 1/3 the cost, and real estate taxes are next to nothing. (It cracks me up to hear people in Charlotte complain about RE taxes -- they are 1/10 of what they would be for an equivalent sized house in Westchester County, NY.) Hardly any snow.

Having said all that, there are tradeoffs that many people don't realize until they move here. They've been covered elsewhere (see the "do i fit in?" thread).

Old 09-05-2010, 04:08 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,725,455 times
Diversity, Universities, warmer climate, lower taxes, closer to shopping, etc. Big sell for us was Lake Norman. We had looked in Raleigh but I was personally not impressed by either Falls/Jourdan Lake. Another advantage was within driving distance to the shore and the mountains were reachable as well. It is great to see children out playing here. Up north, we just did not see much of that.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM

1,511 posts, read 3,030,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
No more harsh midwest Winters, but still get seasons. Good schools. Good home prices and property taxes. NASCAR (just kidding). Relative proximity to the ocean.
Ditto! Was super happy to sell the snowblower right before I moved last year Had at least 4 different people offering to buy it off me.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,772,781 times
LiveStrong, I think Charlotte needs more young singles like you in order to build up a better singles scene. I think that Charlotte has a pretty good nightlife, but it is not on the level of other cities like Atlanta or DC yet, but I say the more singles that continue to move to Charlotte, the more Charlotte can get that reputation as a better singles city, instead of being looked at as an "overgrown bedroom community" where it's all about families! I want to see Charlotte attract more young singles and creative class, b/c in my opinion, that's who Charlotte needs to focus on attracting more! Charlotte needs to attract more "urban pioneers" instead of suburbanites who are fixated on family and living dull, routine lives!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM

189 posts, read 300,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I want to see Charlotte attract more young singles and creative class, b/c in my opinion, that's who Charlotte needs to focus on attracting more! Charlotte needs to attract more "urban pioneers" instead of suburbanites who are fixated on family and living dull, routine lives!
I read your post and this reminded me of an article that was on the Observer's front page of their site yesterday.

Rise of creatives fascinates thinkfest founder - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/04/1666457/rise-of-creatives-fascinates-tedxcharlotte.html - broken link)

You may have seen it as well because before the article I had never heard of "urban pioneers" before.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:49 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,772,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandguy811 View Post
I read your post and this reminded me of an article that was on the Observer's front page of their site yesterday.

Rise of creatives fascinates thinkfest founder - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/04/1666457/rise-of-creatives-fascinates-tedxcharlotte.html - broken link)

You may have seen it as well because before the article I had never heard of "urban pioneers" before.
I didn't read that article, but I will! I just think that Charlotte's long term future rests in attracting more young singles and creative class b/c 1.) They are the future and 2.) They bring creativity and new ideas, thinking outside the box, with the businesses they open! Charlotte is making strides, however, there is a lot of work to do, but I'm confident that Charlotte will continue to improve and get better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte