Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:05 PM

154 posts, read 326,624 times

Advertisements

I always wonder what everyone does in CLT. It seems that a lot of people work just 9-5 and always have weekends off. It seems that people are often going out of town on vacations so I am just wondering what does everyone do around here? Especially since all everyone talks about is how this town is dead with no jobs. I am not seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:13 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,099,824 times
I think certain job sectors are hurting more than others. My husband works in IT at an engineering firm, and has seen over 200 coworkers around the country laid off. At the same time, he is swamped with work. In his case, it's a combination of hard work and luck.

I know others who have had no trouble keeping their current jobs, finding new jobs, or switching companies. These are all very intelligent people with advanced degrees and years of on the job experience who also added relevant experiences to their resumes if they were even out of work in the first place. I think as the job marked has contracted, it has gotten more competitive, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 PM

701 posts, read 1,420,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I think as the job marked has contracted, it has gotten more competitive, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I usually find myself agreeing with your posts, but you kind of sound like Jim Bunning or Alan Simpson here.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,099,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
I usually find myself agreeing with your posts, but you kind of sound like Jim Bunning or Alan Simpson here.
Ew! sorry about that. I didn't want to make my post super long, so I didn't clarify. My take on it is that if the job market is more competitive, people will essentially be forced to qualify themselves. I think it got to a point where it was so loose than even the most uneducated schlubs were being handed success without hard work. Hope that helps. If not, my apologies.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,608,766 times
Everyone I know, myself excluded, doesn't work, and have been on long-term unemployment, two or three years now, on and off, with no prospects for any real employment anywhere on the horizon, in NC or elsewhere else. We've all been foreclosed on, evicted, had property reposessed, been homeless, and have had to resort to welfare and section 8 housing. And it's not looking any better down the road.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM

830 posts, read 1,521,252 times
There are definitely companies hiring...mine has hired probably an incremental 50+ in the last 6 months, from $40K-200K+

Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM

154 posts, read 326,624 times
what a mixed bag of answers that is very interesting. @stlterp what type of industry are you in that is hiring at such a massive rate.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 AM

28,396 posts, read 16,239,799 times
I work for a software company HQ'd in SoCal and have been travelling back and forth to coastal VA for work every week for the past 1.5 yrs.

I only *live* in CLT (although some of my coworkers here say that I actually live in VA and just "vacation" in CLT 2 days a week ).

Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM

198 posts, read 638,992 times
My husband is an attorney at a big firm uptown -- and I WISH he had the hours you mention here! LOL. It's more like 7am-7pm every day, plus working from home on weekends. His firm continues to hire every year, and fortunately has not had any layoffs (unlike most law firms have).

We usually stay in town on the weekends, go to parks with our dog, hang out at home or at sports bars watching football or baseball games. We love Charlotte -- we definitely don't think it's lame or dead.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 AM

292 posts, read 668,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Ew! sorry about that. I didn't want to make my post super long, so I didn't clarify. My take on it is that if the job market is more competitive, people will essentially be forced to qualify themselves. I think it got to a point where it was so loose than even the most uneducated schlubs were being handed success without hard work. Hope that helps. If not, my apologies.

Haha, while you may be right about that for the most part, my work place seems to keep hiring under-qualified idiots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte