Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 61,792 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am getting an offer of a new job near Westinghouse Blvd.

What are the good neighborhoods around that area I have two kids who are going to elementary school. 30 mins drive time is okay.

I currently live in Newton area and am wondering if daily commute is possible

Please share your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
You really don't want to live too close to Westinghouse Blvd. I used to work out there (on Granite)and I live in South Charlotte, off of Rea Road. Everyone on this site knows I am a stickler about accurate commute times. I swear it never took me more than 30 minutes. I would go up Colony, cut thru Montibello neighborhood to get on Carmel, take whatever those roads are to get past Quail Hollow Golf Club, cross Park Road and take Sharon Road West to South. Quick left and W'house is right there on the right. It was an easy, fast commute. Never much traffic. Not sure what your budget is but there are lots of things in lots of price ranges along Rea and Providence near 51. Wessex Square, Candlewyck, Olde Providence have lots of houses in the low 200's. And on up from there all around there.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM

19 posts, read 61,792 times
Thanks for your reply
How are the elementary and middle schools in the area around Rea and Providence you mentioned in your post

Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,366 times
Have you tried 485 to S.Tryon, then cut through Arsley...wouldn't that be a faster commute?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM

174 posts, read 477,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCToPA View Post
Hello All

What are the good neighborhoods around that area I have two kids who are going to elementary school. 30 mins drive time is okay.

Berewick is a nice safe community....off Shopton Rd. very close to Westinghouse. Home prices can range from townhomes in the 170's to 3 story homes in the mid to high 300's depending on which home builder you choose. There are about 4 or 5 homebuilders in Berewick.

Winget Park Elem. is a pretty good school....Southwest Middle is so-so at best...Olympic High is ghetto.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Hello All

hmmmm...if your family is all settled in Newton and you like where you live I would suggest you stay there and do the commute. It would not be terrible, and a whole lot easier than moving!

If, however, you really want to move I'd go with the area mentioned by chuckles. The schools are good and south Charlotte is very desirable

Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
You really don't want to live too close to Westinghouse Blvd. I used to work out there (on Granite)and I live in South Charlotte, off of Rea Road. Everyone on this site knows I am a stickler about accurate commute times. I swear it never took me more than 30 minutes. I would go up Colony, cut thru Montibello neighborhood to get on Carmel, take whatever those roads are to get past Quail Hollow Golf Club, cross Park Road and take Sharon Road West to South. Quick left and W'house is right there on the right. It was an easy, fast commute. Never much traffic. Not sure what your budget is but there are lots of things in lots of price ranges along Rea and Providence near 51. Wessex Square, Candlewyck, Olde Providence have lots of houses in the low 200's. And on up from there all around there.
I live in Olde Providence and did close to this commute. Like Chuckles said...it is about 15-20 minutes except during the golf tournament. Olde Providence, Carmel Middle and Myers Park are all great schools. I don't have children, but would have no problem sending them to any of these schools if I did.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Hello All

Cross the border into Fort Mill SC. Fort Mill schools are much better than the CMS schools on that side of town.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:49 PM

179 posts, read 399,312 times
I recommend anywhere on S. Tryon from Carowinds blvd towards Lake Wylie, avoid Carowinds Blvd towards Walmart area. I live on Moss Rd and never heard of, or had any problems. Rivergate mall is close by, the lake is 5 mins away,harris teeter is 3 mins away, uptown is 15 mins away, love it and is not expensive. Stay off of Westinghouse,nations ford, arrowood, hebron, etc...

Last edited by Touge07; 09-17-2010 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: added locations

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
I live in Ayrsley and really like it here. Westinghouse is about 1/8 mi from my front door. No idea what the school system is like, though.

And, please, if anyone's commute "cuts through Ayrsley", be sure to adhere to the speed limits and stay out of the alleys. I'm shocked at the number of people I see using my alley as a substitute for Kings Parade and driving 30+ MPH while they're doing it! That's horribly unsafe. There aren't many, but there *ARE* children in this neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte