Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,174 times

Advertisements

Just found out we are moving to Charlotte within five weeks. I am looking at private schools south of the city and would love any comments/suggestions. We are looking at the Latin School, Covenant Day School, Providence Day, and Charlotte Christian (?). Open to others if I have missed a good one...

I have one daughter who is 12 and in 7th grade.

Really disappointed so few schools require uniforms.

Please comment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy18 View Post
Just found out we are moving to Charlotte within five weeks. I am looking at private schools south of the city and would love any comments/suggestions. We are looking at the Latin School, Covenant Day School, Providence Day, and Charlotte Christian (?). Open to others if I have missed a good one...

I have one daughter who is 12 and in 7th grade.

Really disappointed so few schools require uniforms.

Please comment...

Not interested in the Mac Daddy - Country Day? If you can afford it, it is still #1 among the private schools. Your list is complete otherwise, though I'm not sure Covenant Day belongs on the list with all the others.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place with a growing reputation. But it's only been around for the blink of an eye compared to the others mentioned and therefore does not have the academic record of all the others. In addition, it is more of a fundamentalist Christian school that not even all Christians would feel comfortable in. If you are fundamentalist, have at it

If you want a Christian school, there is no better in the area than Charlotte Christian School. I cannot say enough about this fine place and the wonderful academic, college prep environment where ALL Christians would feel comfortable and welcome. This is my personal #1 fave. If your child is at all artistic, this is one of the top schools in the state to enroll her in. The Fine Arts Dept is nationally recognized and the teachers just amazing with what they do for the students.

Providence Day and Latin are of course great places too - you can't go wrong in either academically.

It should come down to where you feel your child will be best served based on her needs, her personality and the values you want her to be surrounded by. Best of luck!

Oh, and uniforms are not needed in private school environments where kids are already well disciplined at home. Though every school, including the private ones in Charlotte, does have a "dress code" - some stricter than others

Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,680 times
Hi ,
My daughter attends Providence Day school and we could not be happier.I think PDS ,LATIN and CCDS are all pretty similar ,we were in the lucky position to be accepted at all three.We chose PDS as it just seemed a right fit for our family.They have a fantastic extended day program which for working Mom's and Dad's is great ,but also for the extra activities they provide for everyone.The school is very welcoming to new children and there is a real sense of community.I suggest you go visit them all and see what feel rigt.I dont think you could go wrong with any of the ones you listed.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 AM

443 posts, read 1,251,427 times
Trinity Episcopal is a very good school and in uptown Charlotte, which is a real plus to families who have at least one parent working uptown. They also have the uniforms you seem to want. It is a nice, small school and you may be able to get in mid year.
The downside is that it is only k-8. It would give your child a nice, family feeling and welcoming environment. However, in 9th grade she would have to move on.
Otherwise, I personally would go with Charlotte Christian of the list you present...but that is based on the personalities of my children and our relationship with families at that school who tend to range from affluent to working class and all very accepting, diverse and faith filled. The later is huge to our family and our kids are enrolled in Catholic School (Holy Trinity Catholic Middle School and St. Mark Catholic School are options for you also and know that not all children who attend are Catholic...and of course we have uniforms!).
Best of luck...
Taben

Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,259,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your list is complete otherwise, though I'm not sure Covenant Day belongs on the list with all the others.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place with a growing reputation. But it's only been around for the blink of an eye compared to the others mentioned and therefore does not have the academic record of all the others. In addition, it is more of a fundamentalist Christian school that not even all Christians would feel comfortable in. If you are fundamentalist, have at it
Loves, Covenant Day is affiliated with Christ Covenant (Presbyterian) in Matthews, and would certainly not be considered fundamentalist.
Perhaps you are thinking of Carmel Christian which is run by Carmel Baptist? These two are only a few miles apart on Hwy 51 and easily confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you want a Christian school, there is no better in the area than Charlotte Christian School. I cannot say enough about this fine place and the wonderful academic, college prep environment where ALL Christians would feel comfortable and welcome. This is my personal #1 fave. If your child is at all artistic, this is one of the top schools in the state to enroll her in. The Fine Arts Dept is nationally recognized and the teachers just amazing with what they do for the students.
+1

I could not be more pleased as a parent, and as an alumni.

Charlotte Christian just started their 60th year.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Loves, Covenant Day is affiliated with Christ Covenant (Presbyterian) in Matthews, and would certainly not be considered fundamentalist.
Perhaps you are thinking of Carmel Christian which is run by Carmel Baptist? These two are only a few miles apart on Hwy 51 and easily confused.
Actually Mullman, I was talking about Covenant Day affiliated with Christ Covenant.

I had neighbors who belonged to the church and found them to be pretty fundamentalist. In addition, friends who are Methodist enrolled their child there two years ago and did not feel as comfortable and they had hoped in the school. They left after the first year I believe.

As we both know, Charlotte Christian is very inclusive of ALL Christians and actually has over 50 churches represented in its student body. I can really appreciate that

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 12,654 times
it really comes down to visiting these schools. Charlotte Latin, CCDS, and PD are all very good schools with great reputations.

In my opinion the facilities at Charlotte Latin are by far the best. The Science and Arts building is like something you would find at a college and the athletic faciltiies are incredible as well. Academics are without a doubt top notch. There was just an article in the Obersver about the National Merit Scholarship semifinalists .. CLS led the way with 14 semi-finalists. Here is a link: Dozens from area named National Merit semifinalists - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/16/1696787/dozens-from-area-named-national.html - broken link)

These schools do certainly come with a price tag..

I don't know much about the Christian schools in Charlotte.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotimeclt View Post
it really comes down to visiting these schools. Charlotte Latin, CCDS, and PD are all very good schools with great reputations.

In my opinion the facilities at Charlotte Latin are by far the best. The Science and Arts building is like something you would find at a college and the athletic faciltiies are incredible as well. Academics are without a doubt top notch. There was just an article in the Obersver about the National Merit Scholarship semifinalists .. CLS led the way with 14 semi-finalists. Here is a link: Dozens from area named National Merit semifinalists - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/16/1696787/dozens-from-area-named-national.html - broken link)

That's the best advice - check them all out to see which one is the best fit for your individual child

Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM

299 posts, read 586,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotimeclt View Post

I'm glad you brought up that NMS article. I was wondering why Country Day did so poorly by comparison. Even Myer's Park High did better.

Is there any place to find historic MNS data for these schools?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM

299 posts, read 586,644 times
(btw, I know that Myer's Park is a very well ranked school nationally, I just meant compared to the privates it did so much better than what is considered #1 - Country Day)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte