Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:45 PM

102 posts, read 364,778 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move out of metro Atlanta. We are originally from Western NY, been in Atlanta for 16 years, and we are ready to get out. We have two boys (6 and 4). I am a high school math teacher and my husband is an elementary teacher. Has anyone moved from Atlanta to Charlotte? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 PM

27 posts, read 128,534 times
Ive been in atlanta since the 80s-early 90s and making the move to Charlotte this month. Char is very much like Atlanta was then. Very affordable housing. Less time in the car sitting in traffic. I have figured out that I'll gain an 1 1/2 hours a day not spent in the car.

Friendly, I've noticed friends that have lived in Char for a while seem to know people everywhere they go. For example, we went to the mall and ran into people we had met the day before. Also, when we went to eat breakfast, I enjoyed watching how many people my friends happened to bump into that they actually knew. How often does that ever happen in Atl. I think its a great community. ...and only 3 hours from the beach instead of 6.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:47 AM

102 posts, read 364,778 times
That sounds wonderful! We are in Gwinnett, right now. What area are you looking at in Charlotte? It seems like Union County or North Meck have good schools and nice housing.

I just hope Charlotte doesn't turn into another Atlanta!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:36 AM

81 posts, read 310,671 times
I am living in Atlanta at this time and have been travelling back and forth to Belmont to show some land I have for sale. If I had the money, I would keep the land I have in Belmont and build a house. But the job I have will keep me here in Atlanta. I think everything about Charlotte/Belmont is better right now and for the most part they seem to be doing a better job with their city planning. I think there is a potential for Atlanta like problems, but so far so good. Alot less stressful traffic in Charlotte, friendlier folks for the most part, and there are still trees. And yes, a better location for beach travel

Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
They worry Charlotte is becoming Atlanta as well and are trying hard to avoid it. We'll see.... It could take time one way or the other. Your are right about North Meck and Union having the better schools, and the prices are a bit higher for it, but worth it IMHO.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
They worry Charlotte is becoming Atlanta as well and are trying hard to avoid it. We'll see.... It could take time one way or the other. Your are right about North Meck and Union having the better schools, and the prices are a bit higher for it, but worth it IMHO.
Actually, the best schools are in south Charlotte, though N. Mecklenburg has some good ones too

Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, the best schools are in south Charlotte, though N. Mecklenburg has some good ones too
True. Wierd when I buy a house I have to look at that, but with no kids and no plans to have any, I seem to wish I didn't have to care. Stupid need to think of "resale" value!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,715 times
Default Atlanta vs Charlotte?

I lived in Charlotte for 7 years until 2003. I am now living in Phoenix, AZ and looking to move back to Charlotte. I visited Atlanta quite frequently when I lived in the Carolinas (I lived several places in the Carolinas). Well, Charlotte has a larger population in the city limits than Atlanta has within the city limits. Of course, when you include the metropolitan area, Atlanta far eclipses Charlotte. The metro area for Atlanta is MASSIVE. To get to a suburb where the house prices are manageable is difficult in the Atlanta area because the area is very overpopulated, in my opinion. And the traffic is very bad there. Of course, public transportation is better in Atlanta than Charlotte, if that's an issue for you. Charlotte, in my opinion, has more of a small town feel than Atlanta. If you are into historical sites, don't move to
Charlotte, though--they've mostly been torn down. There are several places where there's a historical marker sign saying what used to be there, but what's there now is something like a parking deck. Not sure how that is in Atlanta. Also, I loved visiting the mountains while living in Charlotte. I loved the Blue Ridge mountains and it was a good day trip to go up there. The beach is a little farther away, but still not a bad drive. Charlotte has a lot of banking there and many people employed in financial services have moved from places like New York City to Charlotte because of favorable weather, lower prices, and better commutes.

It all comes down to preferences, though. Charlotte is where I truly consider it my "home" even though I didn't grow up there and have lived many other places. I'm looking forward to going back to the Carolinas, and Charlotte in particular.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:40 AM

199 posts, read 958,137 times
Ghanley, if I was you I'd move to Charlotte as soon as possible. I had to work in Atlanta a few weeks and it is one of the worst cities I've seen in the US. The roads in Charlotte are far less congested than in ATL and the people are friendlier. It is also not necessary to have multiple cops standing around at every street corner in uptown Charlotte...

You mentioned that you and your husband are teachers. I saw on the news yesterday that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district has another 79 positions to fill for the school year that starts on Monday. My wife is an elementary school teacher and she found a job within three weeks.

If I was you, I wouldn't move to Union County / Northern Meck since the traffic is already pretty bad and it will get worse and worse w/ most of the people moving to these areas.

I am also worried that Charlotte might become another Atlanta, I hope they will get a good public transportation network in place before it is too late.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 AM

233 posts, read 906,588 times
Default Charlotte is the Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanley View Post
My family and I are looking to move out of metro Atlanta. We are originally from Western NY, been in Atlanta for 16 years, and we are ready to get out. We have two boys (6 and 4). I am a high school math teacher and my husband is an elementary teacher. Has anyone moved from Atlanta to Charlotte? Any thoughts?
Yes, I moved from Atlanta not directly to Charlotte, but now I am in Charlotte. I think I had outgrown Atlanta. Meaning, the hopes and dreams I had moved there with I could not accomplish in Atlanta. For example, buying a home in a decent neighborhood under $200K and without the serious commute, I could not see a way to make this happen at the time in Atlanta.

Personally, I like Charlotte better than Atlanta. I go back to Atlanta to visit friends and for entertainment. I noticed on my last trip to Atlanta, how nasty many of the driver's were. Just dealing with that alone, I cannot wait to go back home to Charlotte.

Last edited by NYnowNC; 08-25-2007 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte