U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM

345 posts, read 807,613 times

Advertisements

Attached are pictures of my backyard (total 40ft x 50ft) and I have about 10 ft (x 50ft) property with trees. My backyard trees are part of natures preserver, so I cannot cut the trees, and I don't want to.

This fall I want to clean up the area so I can make it usable and put a hammock etc, you get the picture .

Any advice, any recommendation on landscaping and landscaping contractors in Charlotte, Concord area?

Does any of you have trees in your backyard, how did you landscape them, can you share pics?
Attached Thumbnails
Landscaping advice.-backyard1.jpg   Landscaping advice.-backyard2.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,959,722 times
When you say they are part of a nature preserve, do you mean something more then a neighborhood deal (like city, state, etc.)?

If it's just neighborhood and they are fine with you doing some in there, I would personally clear all that underbrush out from the ground around the bigger trees first. At least then you can see what kind of space you are working with and where a hammock would fit in well. Clearing that out is pretty easy to do. Is cutting ANY of the smaller trees out too?

Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 PM

345 posts, read 807,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
When you say they are part of a nature preserve, do you mean something more then a neighborhood deal (like city, state, etc.)?

If it's just neighborhood and they are fine with you doing some in there, I would personally clear all that underbrush out from the ground around the bigger trees first. At least then you can see what kind of space you are working with and where a hammock would fit in well. Clearing that out is pretty easy to do. Is cutting ANY of the smaller trees out too?
I own the property, I can cut down trees with 6" thick or less, but like you said I'm planning to start with clearing underbrush in fall season, but I need to cover the area with probably mulch or some sand so shrubs doesn't regrow.

I don't know what tools I need to clear the shrubs, can I rent them at lowes or home depot?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:09 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,959,722 times
Some Lowe's do have equipment/tool rentals. I know the one in Huntersville does (not sure where you are located). The Mooresville location use to, not sure if they still do or not.

Swing into Lowe's and go over where they hand tools are located and you can check out the assortment yourself. I'd recommend a good Lopper to cut down the smaller trees and thicker underbrush. A pair of shears for the thinner underbrush and smaller limbs. Maybe also a pruning saw for those thicker branches that the other two tools can't quite get around. Each of those is around $20 so you might get $65-70 invested in tools but those are things you'll use quite a bit when you have them around the yard, given that you have woods. I guess you could get a good rake too in order to clear the smaller ground stuff that isn't worth the effort of cutting!

I personally enjoy doing stuff like that so I wouldn't hire anyone, but you might want to buy a tool or two and try it out and see if it's something you like or would rather just pay someone to come in and do. It will definitely help the looks of your property to do that though, not to mention give you some space to add in a hammock or other seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte