Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:11 AM

17 posts, read 56,943 times

Advertisements

I'm a looking to relocate from Mississippi to NC, thinking possibly Charlotte. I am needing advice on my apt search. I'm looking for a very nice 1BR apt in or surrounding Charlotte preferably with jogging trail. My online search has been frustrating b/c I'm not familar with the 'safe' areas of the Charlotte yet.

What are the nice suburbs near Charlotte?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStransplant2NC View Post
I'm a looking to relocate from Mississippi to NC, thinking possibly Charlotte. I am needing advice on my apt search. I'm looking for a very nice 1BR apt in or surrounding Charlotte preferably with jogging trail. My online search has been frustrating b/c I'm not familar with the 'safe' areas of the Charlotte yet.

What are the nice suburbs near Charlotte?

Thanks.
Honestly Missy, you're kind of going about this backwards.

Charlotte is a very spread out city, there are any number of nice places to recommend to you, but none of that would do you any good unless or until you find a job here.

Perhaps your job comes with you? If not, you'll want to wait to see what that location would be before deciding where to live.

If you don't need a job then tell us what your price range is and people here will be better able to recommend things

Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reply Ilovemountains.

I'm a 34yo f physician relocating from MS. Currently applying for a medical license for NC, the approval of which takes ~4-6mos. I will definitely have a position before I relocate to Charlotte. Just wanted to get a 'jump' on the apt search process. I've been doing online searches for apartments but as I am unfamiliar with the area I have no idea where to begin. I'm definitely a 'country' girl at heart, so I would rather live outside of Charlotte than w/i the area. Any town/suburb w/i a 30-40m drive will be ok.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Ilovemountains.

I'm a 34yo f physician relocating from MS. Currently applying for a medical license for NC, the approval of which takes ~4-6mos. I will definitely have a position before I relocate to Charlotte. Just wanted to get a 'jump' on the apt search process. I've been doing online searches for apartments but as I am unfamiliar with the area I have no idea where to begin. I'm definitely a 'country' girl at heart, so I would rather live outside of Charlotte than w/i the area. Any town/suburb w/i a 30-40m drive will be ok.

Hope that helps.
Great, that's good information

The thing is, depending on which practice or hospital you would go with you would have any number of places to choose from to live.

There just is no one area to point you to over any of the others until you can provide a job location.

If you get a job on the north end of the county there are lots of nice places to look in the towns of Davidson or Huntersville.

If you get a job uptown at the main campuses of either Presbyterian or Carolina Medical Center and still want to live out a ways you could look to live in the little town of Belmont.

If you get a job in the southern end of the city you'd want to check out living in Union County. Though please realize, Charlotte itself is a very suburban city. Unless you work at one of the main hospital locations near uptown, you will most likely already BE in a suburb wherever you work. Then you'd just look for a nice place close to whatever that job location is, see?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Also, keep in mind that CMC has hospitals in many different communities. You might not even be working in Mecklenburg County. Also there is an unrelated hospital in Gastonia that is under the Caramount umbrells.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Also, keep in mind that CMC has hospitals in many different communities. You might not even be working in Mecklenburg County. Also there is an unrelated hospital in Gastonia that is under the Caramount umbrells.
And just my $.02 - it's the nicest hospital I have ever been to. I despise hospitals, and actually dread even visiting new mom friends, but Gaston Memorial is beautiful and doesn't even smell like a hospital.

OP, you could also consider areas of Fort Mill and Clover/York County if you want to be closer to the country.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM

I see your point. I guess I was thinking that Charlotte's layout was similar to that seen here in the Jackson area. I live in one of Jackson's suburbs, yet, everything in the city is within a 15-30min commute for me.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I see your point. I guess I was thinking that Charlotte's layout was similar to that seen here in the Jackson area. I live in one of Jackson's suburbs, yet, everything in the city is within a 15-30min commute for me.

Charlotte and Jackson could not be more dissimilar I'm afraid! Not to mention, Charlotte is A LOT larger. In the county you'll have at least 5 hospitals to choose from. Just outside the county you'll have at least another 5!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
And just my $.02 - it's the nicest hospital I have ever been to. I despise hospitals, and actually dread even visiting new mom friends, but Gaston Memorial is beautiful and doesn't even smell like a hospital.

OP, you could also consider areas of Fort Mill and Clover/York County if you want to be closer to the country.
I visited a friend in Gaston Memorial. I agree, it's very nice.

For my own experience, I started out at Cleveland Regional in Shelby, which is in the CMC system.(as is Kings Mountain Hospital) Cleveland Regional referred me to Blumenthal at CMC Charlotte (They have Blumenthal & Sanger there, but the the big Blumenthal in Charlotte has more facilities.).

My experience has been that Shelby is infinitely easier to deal with. I do prefer Shelby for certain things, but love my doctor at Blumenthal.

For the OP's consideration, Gaston Memorial & Cleveland Regional are both full service.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
CMC is the largest system. This link shows you where the hospitals in the system are. I suggest that you do a regional view of Charlotte on Mapquest in one window, then check each of these locations from another window. Our Locations

Using Cleveland Regional as an example, if that is where you found an opening, it's at least 40 miles west of Charlotte. I don't care what neighborhood you picked in Charlotte, it would not be good if you had a patient come in on an emergency, while you were on call.

CMC Union is in Monroe. I don't know exact mileage, but from Shelby to Monroe must be over 60 miles.

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-11-2010 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte