Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,155 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. I'm a mid-thirties single professional male who works for the government, and I was recently offered a transfer to Charlotte from Cincinnati. I'm originally from VA, but have lived in the Cincy area for the last six years. It's not the greatest city on earth, but there is plenty to do here, and I'm in a pretty good situation at work. Charlotte offers me the chance to be closer to home and closer to the beach. Anyway, I'm struggling with my decision on whether to move to Charlotte or stay here. I've even done my pro's and cons list, and I'm split right down the middle. I've been to Charlotte a few times and it's a very modern city compared to Cincy. It's also growing rapidly where as Cincinnati is well past its prime. Both cities have crime, but in Cincy it is more confined to certain areas and in Charlotte it seems to be everywhere. My problem is I have to let my supervisor know Monday morning what my decision is. Does anyone out there have any insight or advice to offer? I would greatly appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 PM

22 posts, read 141,094 times
Well I can say Charlotte is well known for its single male population first - then yes it has crime and its pretty spread out. I guess it really just depends on how comfortable you feel living in Charlotte. They do have the Panther football games that makes it really a hectic place to be at times - they have the NBA games there at times and its really crowded during this time as well. But honestly it is all in WHERE you move in Charlotte. Would it be possible to do a TRIAL period? Maybe for 6 months or so?? You say you have been to visit maybe you should spend a little longer and see if you could actually LIVE in Charlotte. Just depends on how well you like living in Charlotte really - would you have friends there or no - would you be able to spend some time outside of work to make friends etc..... good luck and hope you make a good choice!!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can't do a trial period. I may just have to flip a coin!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 29,826 times
Default Just moved from Cincy in Dec

Ok I am also in my mid thirties and we lived in Cincy for 6 years. Lebanon to be exact and have moved here to Charlotte. The housing market is different here, they are in a sellers market here. So that might be an issue.
I am adjusting to the traffic here, which seems to be out of control. I know there was traffic in Cincy but there were alternate routes to take. I work uptown here and live in the Ballentyne area, I take the interstate in the morning and it takes me 35minutes, leaving at 7am. But on the way home I take the back roads which are very busy. It takes about 1hr. But if you take the interstate back it take 1hr 45minutes at 5pm.
I will have to disagree with you about the crime in Charlotte. It is localized here too just like in Cincinnati. Uptown Charlotte's night life is wonderful and safe(and I am a married female). Tons of wonderful restaurants and bars and clubs of all kinds. It is a huge banking town so there are a lot of upscale places.
Please feel free to ask me anything!!!! I am missing the Natty!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 PM

46 posts, read 144,595 times
Default Give Charlotte a chance

I was raised in Montgomery, OH. Living in SoCal and moving to Charlotte as soon as the house sells. You've lived in Cincy 6 years, does the job have anything to offer in Charlotte. You are too young to be stuck in a rut. Take a chance, be closer to home and the beach, mountains and lakes. I am 50 something and lived in SD for 31 years and am terrified and delighted to be making such a move. Also sort of impressed with myself. My daught and sil-ly man moved to Charlotte two years ago and have the perfect grandbebe waiting for Nana to spoil. Also a new life for me to embark on. No one can tell you if Charlotte is THE place for you....just have to willing to take a chance. I am going to before I get too old
Good LUCK!!
Nana Patty

Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the responses Sammy and PJ. Both were helpful!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:58 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
What do you deal with the easiest winters in Cinci or summers in Charlotte?
It can get pretty sticky in Cinci in the summer too but in Charlotted you could take a weekend trip to the mountains and find relief. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 29,826 times
Default Go for it

You are very welcome. I can also add that Charlotte is a young city.I believe they say that the average age is early 30's. And the Carolina blue skies are much better than the grey Cincy skies.
I do miss the sports in Cincy.

Good luck!!!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:27 PM

7 posts, read 31,737 times
MOVE! I left Akron and my wife left Dayton 23 years ago and we never look back. Every place will have it's downs and it's all in how you make lemonade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: