U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

8,402 posts, read 22,894,482 times

Advertisements

on a story about raccoons "breaking in" to a home:

"Deputies shot and killed both raccoons, however, one did get away."

I knew raccoons were tough, but.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 AM

45,242 posts, read 96,201,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
on a story about raccoons "breaking in" to a home:

"Deputies shot and killed both raccoons, however, one did get away."

I knew raccoons were tough, but.....
I used to like Scott a lot, but since he's been climbing thru the ranks I've noticed he's gotten more and more into sensationalism - UGH.

Guess they can't all be Walter Cronkite!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I used to like Scott a lot, but since he's been climbing thru the ranks I've noticed he's gotten more and more into sensationalism - UGH.

Guess they can't all be Walter Cronkite!
I've made an issue of the news formats previously. Throughout that broadcast there were several references to an upcoming story about "unusual animals breaking into a home" . I don't think raccoons are that unusual on a heavily wooded lot in NC, but it did keep my attention. I was hoping for giraffes, or elephants, something fun like that. What a letdown.

With all due respect to news anchors, aren't they basically reading a script most of the time?

Edit-I'm still watching the news, and Scott just said, in reference to goats and sheep getting out of some building in New York and running through a neighborhood: "one person was scared of the herd of vicious beasts."

Something else for me to be scared of. Vicious goats and sheep. Zombie raccoons. What is the world coming to?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,158,491 times
Quote:
I've made an issue of the news formats previously. Throughout that broadcast there were several references to an upcoming story about "unusual animals breaking into a home" . I don't think raccoons are that unusual on a heavily wooded lot in NC, but it did keep my attention.

With all due respect to news anchors, aren't they basically reading a script most of the time?
Yes, the anchors are reading a script which is usually written by other people. Sensational promotion of upcoming stories is a common tactic in local newcasts to grab attention & keep it. (In the business it's called a teaser.)

November is a sweeps month, so be prepared for a whole month of this sort of nonsense. Commercial rates are set, per quarter, by the ratings during sweeps. As the Charlotte market climbs, there will be more & more of this.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, the anchors are reading a script which is usually written by other people. Sensational promotion of upcoming stories is a common tactic in local newcasts to grab attention & keep it. (In the business it's called a teaser.)

November is a sweeps month, so be prepared for a whole month of this sort of nonsense. Commercial rates are set, per quarter, by the ratings during sweeps. As the Charlotte market climbs, there will be more & more of this.

I miss the days of Bill Walker and Debbie Faubian on WSOC - they were real in their reporting, not phony or looking for ways to sensationalize the news.

I fear you are right my friend, now that Charlotte is a much bigger market these kinds of tactics are here to stay, which is sad.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I've made an issue of the news formats previously. Throughout that broadcast there were several references to an upcoming story about "unusual animals breaking into a home" . I don't think raccoons are that unusual on a heavily wooded lot in NC, but it did keep my attention. I was hoping for giraffes, or elephants, something fun like that. What a letdown.

Edit-I'm still watching the news, and Scott just said, in reference to goats and sheep getting out of some building in New York and running through a neighborhood: "one person was scared of the herd of vicious beasts."

Something else for me to be scared of. Vicious goats and sheep. Zombie raccoons. What is the world coming to?
I so agree! They are just looking for things to turn into a "breaking news story" where no story even exists!

Did you see the thing about the art work along the light rail?? Good grief, talk about a non story.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

That's what I thought. If all the teasers and other BS was taken out, there would only be 10 minutes of news. And do I really need to be educated about the intricacies of weather every single night? Rain, snow, sunny, and temp is pretty much all I need to know.
Quote:
I so agree! They are just looking for things to turn into a "breaking news story" where no story even exists!

Did you see the thing about the art work along the light rail?? Good grief, talk about a non story.
Do you mean the bar code on one of the towers? I wonder how many people (children, apparently, according to the newscast) looked that up after the news made a big stink about it, versus how many people even considered it beforehand.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM

716 posts, read 1,466,623 times
Speaking of the mid-day WSOC TV news is that one lady ok? I was watching the noon newscast today(Thursday Nov. 4th) and the news anchor appeared to have caught something in her throat. It was soo bad they had to cut to commercials right away and then Scott had to fill in.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I miss the days of Bill Walker and Debbie Faubian on WSOC - they were real in their reporting, not phony or looking for ways to sensationalize the news.

I fear you are right my friend, now that Charlotte is a much bigger market these kinds of tactics are here to stay, which is sad.
After working for 20 years as a broadcast tech, I know the ropes. Unfortunately, I'm right. However, way back when, even the major markets did not sensationalize.

The real turning point was a piece that used to be on Youtube, but is no longer there. It was done in the late 60s in Philadelphia. The NBC station had a rising star - Jessica Savitch - & she was actually anchoring. (Female anchors were a rarity.) One night, someone at the station got the bright idea to dress her like a hooker & send her out with a police patrol, with camera men to film it (This was before portable video cameras.) The rather conservative people in Philly were shocked & horrified & their ratings went through the roof. (& so an unpleasant tradition was born. . .)

The larger the market, the larger the sum of money can be commanded for commercials. Commercials pay the bills. Therefore, as a market rises in market size, the more antics are to be expected during sweeps (February, May, August, & November)

Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought. If all the teasers and other BS was taken out, there would only be 10 minutes of news. And do I really need to be educated about the intricacies of weather every single night? Rain, snow, sunny, and temp is pretty much all I need to know.
During sweeps, how much actual news you get frequently depends on who the producers are. It's the producers who are responsible for the craziness. The news director tells them to get their ratings up, & I have worked with some real nut cases. You ain't seen nothin' yet, unless you're originally from a major market.

Yeah, during sweeps you'll get 10 - 15 minutes of actual news in a half hour newscast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte