Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM

15 posts, read 41,102 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I have been reading the forums without registering and thought I would bite the bullet and just ask a few questions of my own.

My husband and I are moving to Charlotte at the end of next month. I am from Queens, NY and he is from Sweden. We lived in London for 2 years and in the first year there dealt with a lot of crime. Safety is obviously a huge concern of mine but at the same time I have lived in NYC all my life and never really had a problem other than our car getting broken into a few times. So with that said, I was wondering if we could get any advice on areas to look at.

So far we are looking at : Concord, Matthews and down near Lake Wylie.

We have an appointment to view the follow apartment complexes:

Mission Matthews Place
York Ridge
Mission Concord Place
Delta Crossing
Beacon Hill

I read the apartment ratings online and those seem to be good place but if you have any experience with them yourselves, please let me know. We are looking for two main things. Safety and affordability. We are moving to NYC mainly for financial reasons so looking for a nice safe and relatively quiet affordable area. Any suggestions? We rather not go near the center of Charlotte. Being near a bit of country (lake, woods, etc) would be great.

Also, any sites to search for work on? I have been checking Monster, Craigslist, Indeed and CareerBuilder. Also any other rental sites to check? Been checking Forrent, Rent, Apartment Guide, Apartment Finder and Move.com

Any advice is gladly accepted!!!! Especially on what to expect. We are most concerned about utilities and the cost of lifestyle.

We will be there this week (starting Thursday) so please let us know of any areas to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 04:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Try Craigslist for both jobs and apts. Jobs are usually not the highest paying ones but will tide you over until you find a good one.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:39 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
From what you've said I would eliminate Beacon Hill. It's pretty much on South Blvd., a very busy road.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodyofdavid View Post
Hi guys, I have been reading the forums without registering and thought I would bite the bullet and just ask a few questions of my own.

My husband and I are moving to Charlotte at the end of next month. I am from Queens, NY and he is from Sweden. We lived in London for 2 years and in the first year there dealt with a lot of crime. Safety is obviously a huge concern of mine but at the same time I have lived in NYC all my life and never really had a problem other than our car getting broken into a few times. So with that said, I was wondering if we could get any advice on areas to look at.

So far we are looking at : Concord, Matthews and down near Lake Wylie.

We have an appointment to view the follow apartment complexes:

Mission Matthews Place
York Ridge
Mission Concord Place
Delta Crossing
Beacon Hill

I read the apartment ratings online and those seem to be good place but if you have any experience with them yourselves, please let me know. We are looking for two main things. Safety and affordability. We are moving to NYC mainly for financial reasons so looking for a nice safe and relatively quiet affordable area. Any suggestions? We rather not go near the center of Charlotte. Being near a bit of country (lake, woods, etc) would be great.

Also, any sites to search for work on? I have been checking Monster, Craigslist, Indeed and CareerBuilder. Also any other rental sites to check? Been checking Forrent, Rent, Apartment Guide, Apartment Finder and Move.com

Any advice is gladly accepted!!!! Especially on what to expect. We are most concerned about utilities and the cost of lifestyle.

We will be there this week (starting Thursday) so please let us know of any areas to check out.

You have chosen apartments spread all over Charlotte, but do you know where you will be working yet? In Charlotte it is preferrable to find a place to live based on commute to work. In addition, if you are trying to stay under $650. a month in rent you will want to be very careful. It is hard to find apartments in great areas at that price or under.

So, right off the bat, take Delta Crossing off your list - it is too near some bad areas. I would also scratch Mission Matthews off the list - it is along a VERY busy 4 laned road and not convenient to walking to anything. York Ridge is in a fine neighborhood down in Steele Creek - but again, if you were working up on the north end you make your commute much longer than necessary. Ditto the Concord apartments. I don't know anything about Mission Concord Apts, but in general Concord is a nice safe little city right next door to Charlotte.

If you don't mind more of a mixed neighborhood, Beacon Hill may interest you. It is also very convenient to the light rail for traveling uptown for work. Of all the ones you listed, it is the most centrally located. I like that it is a somewhat smaller complex - in Charlotte the bigger complexes tend to have more crime issues.

Out toward Matthews I'd suggest these two. They are both near lots of retail and a hospital. Good locations if your job is on the south or east side of town.

Windsor Landing
Windsor Landing Apartments in Matthews, NC

Paces Commons
Paces Commons Apartments in Matthews, NC (broken link)

Old 08-24-2008, 04:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
From what you've said I would eliminate Beacon Hill. It's pretty much on South Blvd., a very busy road.
Have you been on it recently NCgirl? Since the light rail went into operation, traffic along there is greatly diminished. I went out there twice recently to take pics for another poster - and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the complex was and how much lighter the traffic is now during rush hour.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 PM

260 posts, read 675,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Windsor Landing
Windsor Landing Apartments in Matthews, NC

Paces Commons
Paces Commons Apartments in Matthews, NC (broken link)
In the winter we went to look at Windsor Landing and I loved it. My husband didn't like the busy 4 way interesection at the entrance. Otherwise for the price and size, it was great.

We also looked at Piper Glenn which is in the Ballantyne area. It has great reviews and seems nice. I wasn't crazy about the kitchen cabinets but oh well. My husband and I hope to be in Charlotte in the next 2 months and will probably rent there. I also love the Camden apartments as well.

Best of luck to both of you in your relocation.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have you been on it recently NCgirl? Since the light rail went into operation, traffic along there is greatly diminished. I went out there twice recently to take pics for another poster - and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the complex was and how much lighter the traffic is now during rush hour.
Oh I think it's a great location/area! The OP said

Quote:
We rather not go near the center of Charlotte. Being near a bit of country (lake, woods, etc) would be great.
In my mind that means a little more rural than the Beacon Hill area. Of course YMMV

Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 41,102 times
wow, thanks for the info guys! We dont have work yet (I am a freelance photographer) but my husband as an interview with Best Buy on Independence Blvd working as an In Home Technician. He currently works for LG and he basically works remotely from home so no matter where we go, he will have to service various areas.

I had a feeling Delta Crossing was near some sketchy areas. It got good reviews but still had a feeling. Mission Matthews looks nice but it was said its in a very busy area?

I checked out Windsor Landing and Paces Commons beforehand and the reviews were quite bad. I never know if I should trust them but I will usually if there are 2-3 bad reviews. Wanted to check Piper Glenn and forgot. Will do that now!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
Look into Beverly Crest apartments or Arboreteum(sp?), great neighborhood. However, the complex are a little old--but right in your price range. You are getting a real deal in this community at those prices. My girlfriend has lived in both of them so I got to see the inside of both. Look at Craiglists for specials, it tend to differ than the actal complex site.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM

25 posts, read 65,158 times
Default NYC couple moving to charlotte

Hi guys - I live in Lake Wylie and can confirm safety and slower pace of life, friendly folks. It's pretty undeveloped out here, however. Some townhomes and apts but it's a family-oriented type place. Limited hip shopping, certainly no nightlife to speak of, if you are used to that. very affordable, though. McDowell Nature park is two miles away, with many hiking trails. 20 minutes to downtown charlotte, gastonia, rock hill. close enough, but also far away enough, if you know what i mean...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte