U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 PM

203 posts, read 474,697 times

Advertisements

We live just off of Elm just below Stonecrest.

Cosmos (can't think of the shopping center) cranks their music outside until 2 am a couple of nights a week. I might be an old man, but it wakes me up. And sometimes it wakes my kids up.

Is there some kind of ordinance in Charlotte? I looked up some info but it mentions dbs...like I know how to measure that.

I don't want to call the police, they're busy dealing with more important things. And I'd guess they drive through their throughout the night. (Maybe not?)

Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM

45,236 posts, read 96,877,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory P View Post

Cosmos (can't think of the shopping center) cranks their music outside until 2 am a couple of nights a week. I might be an old man, but it wakes me up. And sometimes it wakes my kids up.

Is there some kind of ordinance in Charlotte? I looked up some info but it mentions dbs...like I know how to measure that.

I don't want to call the police, they're busy dealing with more important things. And I'd guess they drive through their throughout the night. (Maybe not?)

Any ideas?

You need a white noise maker in your bedroom - a small fan will do the trick. Something next to your head to drown out the sounds outside of your house. Don't worry, if you place it right you'll still be able to hear your kids if they call you Try putting one in their rooms too!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,733,107 times
Nothing is worse than loud music you dont want to hear even during regular hours. Yes this noise is against the local laws. Call the cops and it will end. They wont be arrested ,just told to turn the noise DOWN and I mean WAY DOWN...OR OFF...Believe me we have plenty of cops who waste time and for sure one can spend 15 minutes dealing with this...

Last edited by Nativechief; 11-10-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,515,420 times
Is it good music at least?

Charlotte noise ordinances: NPC Law Library: Noise Ordinance for Charlotte, NC

Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,447,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory P View Post

Any ideas?
Actually you DO want to call the police. The reason is, they have a unit that has sound level measurements which is the only way you can make sure it comes under control.

I mean you could use a smartphone app or a Radio Shack meter to get a rough idea of the db but you need the police unit to see if there's a violation or not.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM

293 posts, read 729,220 times
Smile Loud music

GCharlotte;16603600]Actually you DO want to call the police. The reason is, they have a unit that has sound level measurements which is the only way you can make sure it comes under control.

I mean you could use a smartphone app or a Radio Shack meter to get a rough idea of the db but you need the police unit to see if there's a violation or not

Actually I had the same problem when I lived in Florida. near a shopping center they had a bar, that played such loud music that vibrated my windows. the boom boom kind of music on weekend until 4 am morning.

the db does not work at all. I had call the police so many times. they would measure the music. and say they are within the noise level. after getting no where I started to complain that the music was a nusiance. it took over year. of complaining. but the bar ended up shutting down. there was other things going on inside like drugs selling .

the police does not do anything. there is bar in Lake norman that back up to a subdivision and all the neighbors complain about loud music but the police did not do anything either.

I learned never buy a house near a shopping center again. I now live about 5 miles away from any shopping centers. Peace and quiet here.

good luck !

Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,843,390 times
Absolutely call the police. I believe the noise ordinance begins at 10pm, as we learned this summer when a neighbor had an outdoor party with a band and the police were called. If a bar woke me up at 2am I would call the police every single night until it was shut down. What a nuisance!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM

203 posts, read 474,697 times
thanks for the replies everyone. Like I said I hate bothering the police but sounds like that's the thing to do. Although I was also told to call the owner of the development, which I'm going to do in the morning. (Rather than wait until I get woken up again.)

For those who asked, it was Salsa night last night. A lot of BOOM BOOM BOOM.

If it was James Taylor or some good country, I'd just get up and go have a drink :-)

Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 PM

293 posts, read 729,220 times
Default Talked to owner of bar also

I also spoke to the bar owner too. got no where with him either. good luck !

Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,733,107 times
As soon as I heard the first salsa note I would have speed dialed the cops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte