Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 518,176 times

Advertisements

Ok. I keep getting pop up on Outlook express saying : Error: Outlook Express can compress all messages to free up disk space-allow-yes/no.

My email is running slow and I am sure this probably needs done bad, I have NEVER done it.

But I read on internet where some people lost emails and folders whn they allowed it.

Should I do it

Don't do it

Back up all my outlook express( however you do that) and the allow it.

What to do-what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,065 times
You can safely compress your email. You can back everything up first to be safe.
You should also clean out your deleted items, sent items, and inbox of any emails you no longer need. That will help performance a little.
Although if your 'email' is running slow, I would think it is because of your computer not the Outlook Express.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:57 PM

214 posts, read 399,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
You can safely compress your email. You can back everything up first to be safe.
You should also clean out your deleted items, sent items, and inbox of any emails you no longer need. That will help performance a little.
Although if your 'email' is running slow, I would think it is because of your computer not the Outlook Express.

^^ This!

If you're using POP as your email protocol then it creates a file on your pc and stores all emails in it. This would get bigger and bigger, obviously, with the more email you receive, create, send, and delete. Like rdub said, delete as much as you possibly can, this will help your email client (Outlook Express) run faster. Also, for good upkeep, I'd run a defrag after deleting emails.

If you're using Exchange as your email protocol then the same holds true. Delete as much as you can. Emails are hosted and saved on a server but you have a temporary file that opens everytime you connect to the mail server. The more email you have, the longer it will take to load Outlook Express with all of the emails you have.

PM me if you have any questions.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
What exactly do you mean by it is running slow?

1. When you first open the program, does it take longer to load than it used to?
2. Is it slow to open emails, create emails, etc.?
3. After the program loads does it just run slow?

Compressing the email may speed up performance as compression basically removes the "empty" spaces. When you delete emails it sort of leaves an empty space in the database. Compression removes that space making the file smaller. As a general rule a smaller file is accessed more quickly.

You might also try running Disk Defragmenter.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 PM

I guess I should add you should look into getting an email account from either Gmail, Yahoo, etc. and forgo the email clients entirely. Unless you have dial up, there is no need for an Outlook Express any more. Either that and if you use a laptop and compose emails offline.

I have had the same Yahoo email account for over 10 years and have switched ISPs probably 10 times. I don't use ISP email any more, and don't have to worry about losing emails or contacts since it is all stored on their reliable servers.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 518,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I guess I should add you should look into getting an email account from either Gmail, Yahoo, etc. and forgo the email clients entirely. Unless you have dial up, there is no need for an Outlook Express any more. Either that and if you use a laptop and compose emails offline.

I have had the same Yahoo email account for over 10 years and have switched ISPs probably 10 times. I don't use ISP email any more, and don't have to worry about losing emails or contacts since it is all stored on their reliable servers.

Can I switch to Yahoo or someone else recommended Thunderbird without losing all that is stored in Outlook folders now? Or should I save anything from Outlook folders I wish to keep on hard drive and get rid of folders in Outlook? My wife has several folders with stuff saved from years in Outlook .

Thanks to all by the way, as you can tell we are computer novices.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Thunderbird is another program like Outlook Express. If you wanted those emails elsewhere you would have to forward them to your Gmail or Yahoo account then file them in the online folders you create.

I would move to the online email (as long as you don't compose a lot of email offline), then go through and decide what you really need. I think they also have an Import feature so you can import contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte