Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:39 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
There is absolutely no question that it is a phishing scam. But it's a good idea to let Bank of America see this letter, because I believe they will see that it gets investigated and hopefully the scammer gets caught.

We will take it to the branch tomorrow. Isn't it a bit unusual for phishers to use the U.S. mail for their scams? And a PO box? That makes it a federal crime and should be easy to catch the perps.

If its a scam I wonder how many SS#s they have harvested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
It appears to be real. Using a PO BOX for a phishing scam would make the crime much worse and therefore the punishment as well. That's why most scammers use private mailboxes and not USPS.

Google just ruins the mystery when it comes to these things.

Ariz. Corp. Comm. -- Corporations Division (http://starpas.cc.state.az.us/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/history-detail.p?corp-id=02043285 - broken link)

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
Thanks for the link. It just boggles my mind that they would send a letter like that. Still not going to mail the W-9 back to the po box.

Coincidentally, I just received the following email, which I know for sure is a phishing scam:

[SIZE=2] Dear Bank Of America Customer:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Due to several Failed attempts to Access to your[/SIZE][SIZE=2] Bankofamerica® Online Account , We temporary deactivated your Account for your protection. You have to Reactivate Your Bankofamerica® Online Account within the next 24 Hours in Order to Continue using it .[/SIZE]
Please Click here to Reactive your account.
[LEFT]
[SIZE=1] Sincerely,
Bank Of America® Customer Service
Code #BA905242[/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER] Bank Of America, N.A. Member FDIC
© 2010 Bank Of America.
[/CENTER]

Old 11-18-2010, 07:07 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Thanks for the link. It just boggles my mind that they would send a letter like that. Still not going to mail the W-9 back to the po box.

Coincidentally, I just received the following email, which I know for sure is a phishing scam:
[/CENTER]
WOW! When it rains it pours. I would definitely take it up with them in a branch. It sounds like something about your account triggered more federal scrutiny so what they are asking for you probably have to give them. But their methodology stinks but then again they are an evil bank.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Is this a phishing scam? Or is BofA just really stupid?

Yes and yes.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
It is a scam! Contact the local fraud unit of the FBI on Fairview Road and the fraud unit of Bank of America. They will investigate.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Is this a phishing scam? Or is BofA just really stupid?

Yes and yes.
Its also a huge company & the larger a firm is, the more that escapes their attention. Just because they're huge doesn't mean that they're more attentive.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 AM

171 posts, read 317,442 times
It never ceases to amaze me that people are still banking at the Too Big To Fail banks. Your best best is to close the BofA account and join a Credit Union, or, if you must, a smaller regional bank. You won't be having these issues is you stay local. There are too many horror stories on how BofA treats even good customers, see Consumerist.com, to take something like this lightly.

In addition, the Credit Unions operate on a non-profit basis and they are not paying off huge bonuses to investment banksters, executive management taking huge risks, and shareholders. Their costs are lower and this means they are not trying to gouge you with fees and scams.

------------

Anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Mecklenburg is automatically eligible to join the Charlotte Metro Credit Union. You may also have work based or other Credit Unions that you can join. http://www.cmcu.org

Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Its also a huge company & the larger a firm is, the more that escapes their attention. Just because they're huge doesn't mean that they're more attentive.
I agree that things may escape their attention.

I've always been told that any solicitations via mail or email for your SSN are usually scams. Based on the info the OP gave I lean towards phishing.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
Just call them and be an annoyance to them. I started doing a lot of transactions in person to avoid crap like this. If it was really important they would have sent the authorities lol.

I've been thinking of switching to a credit union but I never carry cash on me. I might have to change that since banks annoy the crap out of me. Just give me a place to store my money without any fees and I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte