Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,627 times

Advertisements

Btw, the posts that say the letter is legit. Those are definitely scammers trying to say the letter is legit, because Bank of America will not ask for your social security through the mail as well as needing to verify your date of birth again when they have it? Nope, it is a scam, some Indians once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 PM

79 posts, read 60,366 times
I just got one of these too, 10 years after this thread started, and 20 years after opening my BofA accounts. I’ll try to link to a picture of it tomorrow morning since it seems like there might be some real and some scam versions floating around. I think mine might be real... I was presented with very similar verbiage and questions when I logged into their online banking a couple weeks ago (which has never happened before, and now this shows up in the mail). It does ask for my SSN. I had it all filled out and ready to go, but after reading this thread, I think I’ll bring it to the branch and see the deal.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmunkz View Post
....I think I’ll bring it to the branch and see the deal.
Well, looks like all BofA branches are closed for COVID, so I can't bring this anywhere to check in person. The number also says M-F only, so I guess I'll find out Monday if it's real. Here is a picture of the form with my name and address blacked out:

http://zmunk.com/public/boa_letter_522.jpg

The attached questionnaire asks for my name, my address, my social, my birthdate, and my primary sources of income, as well as a signature. The return envelope is addressed to:

Bank of America
PO Box 269003
Plano TX 75026

It looks really legit, but as other people have said... how can they not have this info...? Dubious. Very dubious.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 AM

Ok... so here's the realtime updates.

I called the phone number on the form (800-496-9471), and it sounded legit, but as I was going through the menu (it asks for the identification number from the form) I threw that number into google. Nothing about Bank of America comes up, and a lot of threads like this one match saying it's a fake number and scam. I hung up before getting a representative and called the main Bank of America support number directly. When I got to a representative I explained the letter to the lady and asked her if I could verify it was authentic and if the number listed was legitimate. She apparently knew what I was talking about because she asked if I was referring to a "9471" number. When I said yes, and she said that is our "Outreach Department" and the request is real, but since they have me on the phone she will transfer me over there now.

She transferred me, and they took all my personal info.

This is such a stupid process. But I guess the answer is, Yes, Bank of America is this stupid. But just because YOU get one of these letters, I would NOT assume it is real. Mine happens to be, but damn, how easy would it be for a scammer to grab an 800 number and send a similar form and wait for your call? Nothing online verifies the number is real, so how are we supposed to know?

Bottom line: if you get a notice like this one, call Bank of America DIRECTLY, or else visit a branch. Don't ignore it, but definitely don't blindly reply.

EDIT: I'll also add, once I was connected, they read ME all my info and asked me to confirm it was accurate. So they had my full SSN and and address and everything already. They also asked about changes in citizenship, income, and employment.

Last edited by Zmunkz; 06-01-2020 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-02-2020, 03:24 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
The BoA branch in Ballantyne is open as is the one at Carolina Place Mall. THere's also a text message scam happening where you're sent a text saying that you're account is frozen and you're directed to a login screen on a website. The URL doesn't match BoA. I went to the Ballantyne branch where they checked my account & told me it was a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte