Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 AM

24 posts, read 95,589 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of Charlotte Country Day School? We are interested in our daughter attending school there from Kindergarten on to high school. What's the culture like? Is it as diverse as they are promoting it? What do you think of the teachers, interaction of the parents with the staff, etc..... Thank you! We are moving mid-year in January hopefully.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasykaur View Post
Hello Folks,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of Charlotte Country Day School? We are interested in our daughter attending school there from Kindergarten on to high school. What's the culture like? Is it as diverse as they are promoting it? What do you think of the teachers, interaction of the parents with the staff, etc..... Thank you! We are moving mid-year in January hopefully.
Thanks!
This is THE top school in all of Charlotte, in my opinion. They are as diverse as is possible and actively promote diversity too. They pay their teachers well, and therefore have the best quality teachers, cream of the crop. The campus is very nice and the school is well run. I hope you are able to visit and are as impressed as I have been

Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 AM

24 posts, read 95,589 times
Thank you for your feedback. I am hoping everything goes well with the application, the testing and interview. It looks like a great fit for my daughter.

Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 AM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times
According to greatschools.net

92 White, not Hispanic
4 Black, not Hispanic
2 Asian/Pacific Islander
1 Hispanic
1 Unspecified

Hope this helps!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 PM

16 posts, read 75,519 times
It is a great school, but based on those figures....THERE IS NO DIVERSIFICATION

Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times
You can't let the stats speak for themselves. Being as diverse as possible doesn't mean it will be the most diverse place. It's good that they at least promote diversity. I'd be interested in knowing how they promote it, i.e. scholarships to those who could not afford it otherwise?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You can't let the stats speak for themselves. Being as diverse as possible doesn't mean it will be the most diverse place. It's good that they at least promote diversity. I'd be interested in knowing how they promote it, i.e. scholarships to those who could not afford it otherwise?
I agree. Diversification can be a complicated issue - the school can't address every social concern and change the whole world. They can only do the best they can to ENCOURAGE changes - which they do.

Here is some of what they have accomplished (from their website, easier than typing it all out myself )

We believe students benefit significantly from an education that affirms diversity as a value that is central to educational and academic excellence. As a result, in an effort to strengthen our school's commitment to diversity, we:

Host an annual diversity conference in July entitled "Building an Inclusive School Community" that is open to teachers and school administrators in the Southeast.

Instituted a Parents of Color In Independent Schools (POCIS) action group.
Enhanced the school's curriculum to reflect the needs of our multicultural world.

Became the first school in North Carolina to become affiliated with A Better Chance (ABC), a national organization that helps identify and place qualified minority students in schools and colleges.

Established endowed scholarships specifically for minorities.

Instituted the William Randolph Hearst Teaching Fellowship Program, which introduces minority first-year teachers to Charlotte Country Day and to the teaching profession.

Hired a full-time director of diversity planning to oversee the school's diversity programs.

Increased enrollment of students of color.

Became the first independent school in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area to implement a national faculty development seminar called "SEED" (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity).

Old 07-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Well, that about says it all. Thanks, LM.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times
The things the school are trying to do are great. But if you are a minority student or parent, you want to know does your child feel accepted, respected, and given an equal chance? My daughter attended a private school for 3 years with a population of 8% AA. I don't believe there was a day that she cared. She felt totally accepted by friends of different races, economic differences, and nationalities. I never preached race to her. I preached academics. She has scored in the 95 percentile in MD, and NC test. She reads over 2.5 years over her grade level.

As long as the students and teachers treat us with respect and give us an equal chance, I'm okay with being in the minority population. Some people can't handle it.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:26 PM

I wish everyone felt like you do. I am 100% for equal opportunity and 100% against quotas. It should be about who can do what and at what level. Good grades, good jobs, etc should be given to those that earn them because of their skills, not because of their color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte