U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM

45,269 posts, read 90,032,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I went to the Arrowood office and showed up at 7:40 - they open at 8:00 - and I was already at the end of a very long line. It took until past 10:00 to get out with my license. Judging from that one day, they are incredibly understaffed.

You can read almost every test question and answer here:

Steve's Online Brain Dump » North Carolina DMV Driver’s License Test Study Guide The only questions I had trouble with were the punishments for certain violations and how license points work.

You will go through a vision test where you look into a machine and read off a series of digits in groups of 3. 539, 217, 604, etc.

This machine will also show you street signs you will have to explain what they mean. The part that really got me was where they show you the blank sign and you have to say what a sign of that shape and color usually means. They showed a white rectangle, which could be any number of a dozen or so signs (no parking, turns from center lane, no stopping or standing, u turn yield to right turn, etc.) , but the answer is a speed limit sign. (Don't ask me what the point is of recognizing a speed limit sign if you can't read the speed limit number.)

Bring cash (license for me was $32), because they don't take out of state checks or any credit/debit cards.
That's EVERY day in Charlotte's DMV offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,624,420 times
Also make sure your ID has your middle name on it, I have seen people turned away for that reason. Not sure what they had to do after that.

If you do go to a Charlotte DMV, dress warm! There could be a line out the door and they don't allow more than the capacity of the fire code.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,935,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Also make sure your ID has your middle name on it, I have seen people turned away for that reason. Not sure what they had to do after that.

LOL (and I can laugh now b/c it's been over a year). I was one of those people turned back b/c my SS card had a middle initial and not a full name. I went back home and tore up my safe looking for any/all documents that were legal and might mention my middle initial. Wound up using my marriage license.

By the way, the guy at the DMV did NOT make me stand in the long line all over again once I came back. Of course this really angered a ton of people, even though I had already stood in line for over 2 hours before then.

If you cannot find anything with your middle initial that day you are probably SOL and will need to come back another day after sorting it out

Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM

2,951 posts, read 6,259,644 times
Middle Initial...

I came prepared WITH my marriage license due to a middle name .. original copy stamped, notarized and signed by county officials from Michigan. This is the only unexpired legal document I have in my possession with my full middle name. The clerk FOUGHT WITH ME stating it wasn't "certified" because it wasn't a xerox copied marriage license with an official stamp and seal from the county.

I went to the Mt Holly location, got there just after 1pm. Left just about 4:30pm. Not only understaffed, but the available staff are not very efficient. I do believe some of the DMV staff are looking for reasons to turn you away based on my observations of who was turned away while I was there.

Speaking of vehicles ---- can anyone recommend good places to for vehicle inspections? You can PM me if needed.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 59,424,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

Speaking of vehicles ---- can anyone recommend good places to for vehicle inspections? You can PM me if needed.
I would try to find an auto shop or if your in Huntersville there a Inspection only place near the Aquatics Center on Statesville road.

This year I made a mistake and felt scam by a oil change place who odiously trying to take advantage of situation and left me feeling they where wanting to scam me out of everything.

Blown tag light bulb
Wipers The wipers had no dry rot and worked fine.
So I was you walk around your car and check everything so you can purchase and replace whatever is needed before you go.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 PM

2,951 posts, read 6,259,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would try to find an auto shop or if your in Huntersville there a Inspection only place near the Aquatics Center on Statesville road.

This year I made a mistake and felt scam by a oil change place who odiously trying to take advantage of situation and left me feeling they where wanting to scam me out of everything.

Blown tag light bulb
Wipers The wipers had no dry rot and worked fine.
So I was you walk around your car and check everything so you can purchase and replace whatever is needed before you go.
Thanks, SK! +1

Old 12-09-2010, 06:55 PM

515 posts, read 935,349 times
Kannapolis/Concord area..in and out in an hour.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,032,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
Kannapolis/Concord area..in and out in an hour.

See, that's what I'm talking about Got to go to another city and county.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,778,835 times
I went the the Arrowood office early, before it opened the day before Thanksgiving to get my license renewed. I thought folks would be doing other things that day, but there was a long line outside. I had to be somewhere later and didn't want to chance having to skip out after waiting in line a long time. So I didn't stop.

I went again today. It was 9:39 when I got out of my car. The line was short and all inside. Some folks were being turned away, so the line moved quickly. New licenses and renewals go to different waiting areas. I was third in line for renewals and got through quickly. It was 10:10 on my car clock when I got back to my car.

I guess people think there'll be long lines all day and have to get there early, but it was pretty quick when I got there after 9:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte