U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM

575 posts, read 1,365,895 times

Advertisements

For what its worth:

Baseball HOF Attendance Dips 12%; Donations Also Drop

Baseball HOF Senior Dir of Communications & Education Brad Horn said that the museum "had a 12[%] drop in the number of visitors from the Memorial Day holiday on May 26 to Labor Day on Sept. 1, even after a record-setting June," according to Danielle Sessa of BLOOMBERG NEWS. Horn: "The immediate feedback was, it was too cost-prohibitive to make us a driving destination. Now it's more reflective of the economy in general." Horn said that the number of museum members, who donate $40-1,000 a year to the HOF, has "slipped to 28,000 from 32,000." The museum's annual operating budget is $12M. Meanwhile, the HOF also is "looking for a sponsor to replace DHL," which suspended U.S. operations. Horn said that the three-year sponsorship agreement with DHL "expired this year and the museum chose not to renew"

Clearly all amusement places are seeing fewer patrons coming through their turnstiles nowadays. The Baseball HOF is a 3 hour trip north of NYC and requires an even more dedicated fan base than the NASCAR HOF museum that is practically in city center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,245,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
For what its worth:

Baseball HOF Attendance Dips 12%; Donations Also Drop

Clearly all amusement places are seeing fewer patrons coming through their turnstiles nowadays. The Baseball HOF is a 3 hour trip north of NYC and requires an even more dedicated fan base than the NASCAR HOF museum that is practically in city center.
It's helpful to note that baseball is also a dying sport.

It would have made so much more sense to put the HOF by the speedway. Imagine how many events they could have on race weekends, even when the races are elsewhere!

Old 12-09-2010, 01:02 PM

575 posts, read 1,365,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
It's helpful to note that baseball is also a dying sport.

It would have made so much more sense to put the HOF by the speedway. Imagine how many events they could have on race weekends, even when the races are elsewhere!
"It's helpful to note that baseball is also a dying sport."

Hardly, baseball attendance was off by .6% for 2010 over 2009 with the NY Mets leading the pack with almost 600,000 fewer customers. Even with those slackers numbers things could be considered pretty positive as a whole considering the economy.
The point being is that any visitor to NY needs to travel 3 hours to visit the the Baseball HOF, the equivalent of a day trip to Mt. Airy from Charlotte, whereas visitors to Charlotte do not need to make that same 3 hour(one-way) commitment to the NASCAR HOF.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,245,204 times
The last statistics I read stated that less than 1/3 of Americans consider themselves baseball fans, and this year's World Series was beat in the ratings by The Big Bang Theory. That's pretty sad! Baseball may be huge in the NE, but it's not like that elsewhere. I know I used to be a fan, but it's just not the same sport that it was when I was a kid. I understand your point about the HOF and proximity to uptown Charlotte. Sorry for the OT post.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,868,843 times
[quote=coastalgirl;16943960]It's helpful to note that baseball is also a dying sport.

[quote]

Sadly, I agree with you on this. Especially among the black community.

Today's public are accustomed to ESPN highlights (fast paced) and attention spans are not what they used to be. Baseball is a "thinking man's" game and like I said the public today isn't trained for the slower pace of the game...

It also doesn't help that the game has slowed down (average lenght of a MLB game is much much longer than it used to be.)

Football has done it right and gets the most ratings for a variety of reasons...I love baseball and hope they can make some changes to help the game...

Old 12-09-2010, 02:00 PM

448 posts, read 695,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I believe it may have peaked as at "trendy" thing to do among those not from the south

But the hardcore fan base will always be there - it's a way of life for too many people.

It has especially lost a lot of what used to be hardcore fans from the south.

The elimination or scaling down the number of races in the south is one of the reasons long time fans have left the sport. Another reason is the current points system and the "chase."

You can believe what you want but I am saying that I have talked to hundreds (maybe more like thousands) of present and past fans and the sport DID peak around 2003 - 2005 as someone here has already suggested.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,963,490 times
I want the NASCAR Hall of Fame to succeed because I want Charlotte to succeed and the last thing we need is the financial burden of a bankrupt HOF.... but... one month of reported profitability means less than nothing. That is almost (but not quite) as ridiculous as reporting one month of profitability by Bank of America. There is far too much room for moving expenses into other months and revenues into this month and messing around with allocations to put any credence into one month's reported performance.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,229,782 times
There was a very informative story on npr about this today. They note that the NASCAR Hall of Fame projections were way off. Even the person leading the effort to get the hall of fame here admited they got the projections wrong. The bad economy doesnt help either.

The good news is that I think the hall of fame can be profitable and it does help the local hotels and restaurants. They also credit the hall of fame and their large conference room as being partially responsible for bringing in new conventions to Charlotte.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:10 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,868,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
The good news is that I think the hall of fame can be profitable .
That remains to be seen......

The problem is that if you cut too much out of the hall to reduce expenses, you water down the product where its not what it was meant to be...

We'll see....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte