Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM

45 posts, read 90,356 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring from the NYPD and we are considering a move to NC from Rockland, NY a suburb of NYC. We are both Bronx natives but have lived in Rockland for the past 10 years. We would love to stay in our area, but the taxes and prices of homes has really gotten out of hand. We are hoping that my husband's pension would go further in NC. We have heard that the Charlotte area was a nice location for NY transplants. We want to be close enough to family in NY that it wouldn't be too difficult to return for holidays or important family events.

We are considering the Waxhaw area, but would consider any other Union town with good schools. We are considering Union county due to the lower taxes and good schools. We have four children (11, 9, 7 and 3) so the schools are very important.

It would be great if some of you could help us with more information on some of the better subdivisions, maybe you could sell us on your own. We are looking for a home in the $300-350,000 range, 4+ bedrooms, 3 bath, 3000+ sq. ft. on .30+ acres, a basement or large bonus room. A family friendly neighborhood with amenities and convenient shopping (I know, we want it all). We have been told to look into subdivisions with active HOAs because it might be easier to meet people and adjust to our new neighborhood.

We are really looking forward to a change of pace and new chapter in our lives. We really think this move could be a great adventure for our family.
We would appreciate any advice you could offer. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
You'll find plenty of NY transplants (my family included) in Northwest Union county - the Waxhaw area you mention.

Selling you on a subdivision isn't my style (hopefully others will help with that), but I'm happy to provide opinions.

Search this forum on "Union County", "Waxhaw", "Marvin", "Marvin Ridge", "Cuthbertson" to start. Plenty of reading. Waxhaw itself is broken into the Marvin Ridge and Cuthbertson school clusters. Schools down here are run at the county level.

Best thing is for you to come and visit to look around at the area.

Edit: I'd suggest that you ask a mod to move this to the Charlotte forum.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. We are planning a trip in February during the school break. We plan to meet with a realtor I have been in touch with and taking a look are some of the areas, schools and some properties. Thanks for the advice to move this post. I thought I had posted it to the Charlotte forum. This was my first post, I guess I need more practice. Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:55 PM

80 posts, read 121,561 times
Hi NYbound. My family and I are also considering a move to the Union County Area. I will also be retiring next year from the NYPD. I wish you guys luck should you choose to move. Keep me posted.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
welcome aboard!

I moved to Union County several years ago and love it!

I'm a transplant from North Jersey (down 287 past Suffern).

There are several people on this board who've done a ton of homework on Union County and MikeyKid is prob the guy you want to ask (for the union county area)....there was a thread on here several months ago where he detailed alot of research on the different subdivisions...

For your situation I'd start looking into several school districts....Weddington/Marvin Ridge.....Sun Valley school developments are a little more affordable but as I can say very nice. Look at Ardrey Kell also....

In Mecklenburg County, look at Matthews/Butler school district.....Matthews is very nice also.....

Bottom line is you have a ton of choices...make sure you try not to rush through it..good luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbound4NC View Post
My husband is retiring from the NYPD and we are considering a move to NC from Rockland, NY a suburb of NYC. We are both Bronx natives but have lived in Rockland for the past 10 years. We would love to stay in our area, but the taxes and prices of homes has really gotten out of hand. We are hoping that my husband's pension would go further in NC. We have heard that the Charlotte area was a nice location for NY transplants. We want to be close enough to family in NY that it wouldn't be too difficult to return for holidays or important family events.

We are considering the Waxhaw area, but would consider any other Union town with good schools. We are considering Union county due to the lower taxes and good schools. We have four children (11, 9, 7 and 3) so the schools are very important.

It would be great if some of you could help us with more information on some of the better subdivisions, maybe you could sell us on your own. We are looking for a home in the $300-350,000 range, 4+ bedrooms, 3 bath, 3000+ sq. ft. on .30+ acres, a basement or large bonus room. A family friendly neighborhood with amenities and convenient shopping (I know, we want it all). We have been told to look into subdivisions with active HOAs because it might be easier to meet people and adjust to our new neighborhood.

We are really looking forward to a change of pace and new chapter in our lives. We really think this move could be a great adventure for our family.

Just make sure you do your research on the complete cost of living down here. I'm sure a lot of regulars here will tell you that just because the homes and property taxes are lower, doesn't mean there aren't higher costs elsewhere

Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbound4NC View Post

If your husband intends to work after you move, he should check before you move. If you buy in Waxhaw & he gets a job in Mooresville, that would be one unpleasant drive.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM

21 posts, read 68,213 times
Hi nybound, We too are from Rockland County, North Rockland to be exact. We moved down here about 2 years ago and absolutely love it down here! We bought a home here in Union county which has low taxes, excellent schools and quite a bit of shopping! We have been very happy here so far! Pm me if I can be of any help or if you have any questions

Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
NYBound, fellow NY'er here who left Suffolk County over 4 yrs ago. Waxhaw is nice as are a lot of other towns in Union county. We chose Indian Trail for the location and schools. One thing I can tell you is that you get a lot more home here for the money. having said that you could probably lower what you want to spend and still get everything you want, just look around. Most things are cheaper - compared to Suffolk County, not sure about how Rockland compares to Suffolk. We have a 3100 sf home on .3 of an acre and our taxes are around 1900. We pay about 500 for Homeowners and our auto insurance is half of what we paid in NY, currently 1150 for full coverage on 1 car and 1 truck. Gas and electric fluctuate with the weather but still nothing compared to NY. The one thing you have to know is that water is very expensive here compared to NY. I have irrigation for my lawn and during the summer my bill runs around anywhere from 100-150/month. It runs around 30 during the winter.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Thank you all for getting back to me with very informative responses. We really appreciate it. nw10986 we lived in Pomona way back in 1994 when we first moved to the county. We now live in Tappan. I will keep reading these forums and gather as much information as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte