Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Cant even show enough respect to those of us who do celebreate Christmas as the representation of the birth of Christ to call it Christmas?? I dont know what your religious belief is- perhaps you have none at all, but is it really that difficult to acknowledge the reason for the holiday? I mean, do the 3 seconds you save typing "X" rather than "Christ" really add up for you? Or, as I suspect, is it just a covert dig at those of us who do believe? Funny how we Christians are supposed to be politically correct in all we do, but secularists/non-believers can say whatever they want. Gotta love a double standard!
Actually, the abbreviation Xmas is from the Greek letter Chi, (X), which is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ. It's an abbreviation that has been used for hundreds of years, and is still used, even in the church. I'm sure you've seen the Chi-Rho, the P w/the long tail and an X going through it which symbolizes Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Lightbulb Thanks Coastalgirl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Actually, the abbreviation Xmas is from the Greek letter Chi, (X), which is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ. It's an abbreviation that has been used for hundreds of years, and is still used, even in the church. I'm sure you've seen the Chi-Rho, the P w/the long tail and an X going through it which symbolizes Christ.
For educating me, and possibly calming down Hoagie LOL...

I hope this thread doesnt go too far off track or off-topic, because the debate has gotten quite lively (my own somewhat long-winded post included LOL)

Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I dont believe, for a second, that the person in question was simply honing her Greek. It was a hit at Chrome specifically, but generally offensive to many Christians.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,524 times
Back when I was working midnights at a 7-11 in Michigan, I was grateful for the opportunity to work Christmas (and Thanksgiving, and New Year's and Easter and...) and be able to earn holiday pay. Nobody forced me too. I campaigned for it.

If, however, someone is "forced" to work Christmas when they don't want to.... yep, that kinda sucks.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:44 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Whether you are a Christian or not, there are many who will be forced to work and not be able to be home with their families and children all because some managerial type wants to sell a tshirt or slice of pie.
And many will be grateful for the extra hours, and in some places, holiday pay. It's not a "shame" places are open on Christmas; it's an acknowledgment that not everyone celebrates the same way, nor do we celebrate the same holidays.

I loooooove days off to spend freely with my family - but I don't like missing a day's pay! Luckily, this year Xmas is on Saturday, so it's not an issue.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I simply said it is a shame that a business is open on Christmas Day. It is a shame, it is all about the almighty dollar and greed. Period.
Is it a shame, and only about greed, when places are open for Navarathri? Or Passover? Or Ostara? There are many holidays that are sacred for those who celebrate them.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
CVS will be open Christmas Day.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Walgreens and Jack in the Box will also open.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
If they don't like it they can find another job. You don't need a full day off to celebrate Christmas. Nothing wrong with getting up early to open presents then leaving for work. There is still dinner time to have a family meal.
Exactly the reason I switched careers from being a former chef. Never worked Christmas, but did on Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Mothers Day, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, etc

Basically you work when everyone else is playing.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,071 times
Im really dissapointed when I read this thread. I thought it was strictly about places that were open on x-mas. After all, its a "sticky" thread thats always at the top, yet, its a big religious debate.

Im not religious, and, i prefer to work holidays. I would rather work the holidays, and get days off I actually want to take off. The world doesnt shut down just because its a holiday, and not everyone celebrates the same holidays. X-mas was never big with my parents and I, and now that im 800 miles away, its not a big deal to me. I can see family and friends and celebrate whatever whenever. It doesnt need to be Dec 25th to do so. THAT was the point of this thread, for people who WANT to go out and do what THEY want. I happen to want to take a small vacation with the 3 days I have off, and I am depending on places to be open on X-mas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte