Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 AM

47 posts, read 60,674 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Charlotte and looking to meet some pet lovers. My interest in Charlotte came after I found that many counties in North Carolina gas unwanted family pets to death. I started come down for the dog rescue I work with and bringing animals north. I fell in love with the area and am moving in the spring. I would love to meet other people that are interested in starting or are already involved in animal rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 04:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,976,684 times
I met a woman in Bessemer City who rescues dogs. THe animal she had at the vet was a blue pitbull that had been tossed from a car into the parking lot of a Walmart in November because she was pregnant. The dog was rescued, delivered her litter of 12 puppies & was spayed. She was headed up to be loved by a family in NJ. A very affectionate dog.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:08 AM

57 posts, read 78,351 times
Hi, I am all for rescues! We adopted 2 german shepherds and 1 rottie/terrier mix (yeah, kinda weird, lol) from the Va. German Shepherd Rescue before we moved here. NOT looking to foster right now but I might be able to help you elsewhere. We are currently renting and can not have anymore animals. I hope that somehow down the road I can help with anything. Let me know and good luck with your move.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,986,583 times
We will be looking to take in a foster pretty soon. I may check out the Golden Retriever Rescue Club of Charlotte.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:56 PM

403 posts, read 878,806 times
lacy_amy....There are plenty of petlovers in the Charlotte area...as well as plenty of rescue groups. If your have a particular dog that you like, you will probably find a rescue group for it. A lot of the rescue groups go to the Petsmart on Saturday mornings...hoping to snag a good prospect for their pups and cats. They bring some of the rescues with them. Petsmart may be a good place to start looking.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 AM

847 posts, read 1,352,615 times
I don't mean to sound like a big jerk, but don't you guys think all that money that goes into pet rescue would be more beneficial if it was used toward your fellow human beings that are down on there luck or starving?

If you see a starving dog and a starving child, which would you rather help?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Not sure why you think that people that help animals would not help a human. Also, your comment explains why NC has one of the highest kill rates in this whole country because people discard animals like they are garbage. We should be working together as a society to make sure that our 2 legged as well as 4 legged friends are taken care of.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM

P.S. if I saw a starving child on the side of the road I'd get a little worried....we do live in America don't we? But let's just saw I saw both on the side of the road. I'd take both and help them cause I'm just that kind of person. I do what I can to help someone in need....animal or human.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,457,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacy_amy View Post
Not sure why you think that people that help animals would not help a human. Also, your comment explains why NC has one of the highest kill rates in this whole country because people discard animals like they are garbage. We should be working together as a society to make sure that our 2 legged as well as 4 legged friends are taken care of.
Please don't generalize the entire state based on one person's comments. There are many, many people who care about animals. Unfortunately there are un-spayed and un-neutured pets that produce countless litters that can not be properly cared for. There aren't enough homes for all of them.

Here are a few groups you may want to contact. I don't know anything about them so I can't tell you if they are good or bad. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, they may point you in the right direction.

Charlotte Animal Welfare

Animal Adoption League

Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,656,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I don't mean to sound like a big jerk, but don't you guys think all that money that goes into pet rescue would be more beneficial if it was used toward your fellow human beings that are down on there luck or starving?
Not sure I understand.

People have the ability to change their situations, domesticated animals do not.

So to use your words "I don't mean to sound like a big jerk" but I'll spend MY hard earned money where I want, whether that's animals or not. I have little pity for the bum begging for money at the corner so that he can go buy some cheap alcohol or cigarettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: