Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 7,648 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My husband and I are relocating to NC soon, from California. He is a commercial airline pilot based in Charlotte, and I am an attorney who will be taking the NC bar exam in July (because there is no reciprocity between CA and NC), and then starting a solo criminal defense/appellate practice.

We have decided not to purchase anything yet, until we know where we want to eventually settle. We have both dreamed of rural/farm life, but we would like a "test run" to see if we are suited for it first. So, we are on the hunt for rental property to lease for at least 6 to 12 months.

We would like something with 2 or more bedrooms, sitting on at least an acre, but preferably 3 or more (acres that is). The optimal property would be within a 30 to 45 minute drive from Charlotte-Douglas airport, but we're willing to consider going farther afield if we must. For instance, if the perfect property existed within a short drive from a regional airport (like Asheville, maybe) where hubby could hop a short express flight to get to work, that might fit our needs.

Oh, and we are kidless, so schools/activities are not a factor. As far as budget goes, we'd like to keep it under $1,200.00.

Any advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,518,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebroke View Post
Hi all.

My husband and I are relocating to NC soon, from California. He is a commercial airline pilot based in Charlotte, and I am an attorney who will be taking the NC bar exam in July (because there is no reciprocity between CA and NC), and then starting a solo criminal defense/appellate practice.

We have decided not to purchase anything yet, until we know where we want to eventually settle. We have both dreamed of rural/farm life, but we would like a "test run" to see if we are suited for it first. So, we are on the hunt for rental property to lease for at least 6 to 12 months.

We would like something with 2 or more bedrooms, sitting on at least an acre, but preferably 3 or more (acres that is). The optimal property would be within a 30 to 45 minute drive from Charlotte-Douglas airport, but we're willing to consider going farther afield if we must. For instance, if the perfect property existed within a short drive from a regional airport (like Asheville, maybe) where hubby could hop a short express flight to get to work, that might fit our needs.

Oh, and we are kidless, so schools/activities are not a factor. As far as budget goes, we'd like to keep it under $1,200.00.

Any advice welcome!
CLT is on the west side of Charlotte.

Start looking in Gaston County & Lincoln County. You might want to expand it to Kings Mountain & Grover in Cleveland County. If you haven't found something at that point, try Catawba & Iredell Counties.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,361,058 times
Hey I can give you a ton of advice from personal experience. My fiance and I moved from Florida in search of a rural lifestyle. We fell in love with Union county, particularly Waxhaw. I looked for 2 years for houses for sale/rent on that kind of acreage. Since your only looking for the lot size (we needed horse ameneties) your options will be broader. I had much more luck looking at real estate for sale with what we were looking for. Rentals were hard to come by and rented quickly. I worked with a fantastic realtor, please DM me for his info. He helped when looking for a rental as well. If still available, this great property in Monroe comes to mind on 3 acres. It was quiant but well done.
All in all I was thinking we were going to have to give up the horse criteria but a property fell into our laps from craigslist.
Remember, I had been looking for 2 years. About 2 months before we moved we came up to NC and i was looking on craiglist while my fiance was at an interview. I emailed a woman leasing 6 acres for $1250/mo. It didnt mention anything about horses etc. She called and it even had a stable available on the adjoining property. I spoke to her on Saturday and made apt for Sunday morning. Saturday evening she called to say it was rented. I emailed after returning to FL letting her know if it fell through to please keep me posted. It feel through a week later and the rest is history! We now rent a gorgeous peice of property with my horse on site. If I could buy it, i would in a heart beat. Mind you, we signed a lease sight unseen due to having returned to FL.
What my long winded point is, use all resources available. Get with a realtor, check all sorts of websites. Dont give up and make calls even when it doesnt seem to be exactly what you need, you never know. Now I am an hour or more from Charlotte, but I do work there. Now if all your looking for is rural property and not surrounding.. Charlotte has done an amazing job keeping the green space alive in the city. You can probably find what your looking for closer in. If you have any specififc questions feel free to PM me. The realtor I used is also on this forum, and he was a pleasure to work with. If this listing has been on the MLS, he would surely have found it for me

Old 12-31-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
CLT is on the west side of Charlotte.

Start looking in Gaston County & Lincoln County. You might want to expand it to Kings Mountain & Grover in Cleveland County. If you haven't found something at that point, try Catawba & Iredell Counties.
Thanks. We found what seemed like the perfect property near Kings Mountain. Unfortunately, we were unable to act on it in time. Posted on CL 12/24...gone by the time we were able to call on 12/28! Besides CL, any other good places to search?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 PM

LilShortye - great advice...thanks!

If you come upon anything in your area, feel free to pass it my way. In the meantime, we were working with a realtor when we thought we'd be purchasing. We're going to let her know we're going to lease instead, but if she isn't able to help in our search, I'll definitely take you up on your recommendation. Sounds like your realtor would be great to work with.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM

531 posts, read 1,075,523 times
Try out Cabarrus county near North/East of Concord, Harrisburg....

Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 PM

I am appreciating all the advice on places to try. Other than CL and having the realtor check MLS, any other options to find available rental properties?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,518,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebroke View Post
Thanks. We found what seemed like the perfect property near Kings Mountain. Unfortunately, we were unable to act on it in time. Posted on CL 12/24...gone by the time we were able to call on 12/28! Besides CL, any other good places to search?
I live in Kings Mountain. It's 30 miles west of Charlotte & takes ~30 minutes to get to the airport. If a property is priced right, it will go quickly around here, as you found out.

I can dm the name of the realtor who I used & she can email properties to you as they become available. I used realtor.com & yahoo real estate. Kings Mountain is in Gaston County & Cleveland county & propeties can show up in either or both of 2 different MLS listing. Some propeties are on both realtor.com & yahoo real estate, but some are on only one.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,325,036 times
wow, you guys are making me want to buy some country property to rent out as an investment!

this isn't an offer, just a thought. I have in the past thought about buying investment property but do not look forward to the hassles of dealing with renters. What if I found the renters first, and they were able to search for a rental but were able to look at the "for sale" inventory as well. When they find a great place they want to rent, I buy it... instant tenants. Would that work?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
wow, you guys are making me want to buy some country property to rent out as an investment!

this isn't an offer, just a thought. I have in the past thought about buying investment property but do not look forward to the hassles of dealing with renters. What if I found the renters first, and they were able to search for a rental but were able to look at the "for sale" inventory as well. When they find a great place they want to rent, I buy it... instant tenants. Would that work?
If you do it in the next few weeks, be sure to DM me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte