Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2006, 02:38 PM

32 posts, read 148,092 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a student in Erie, Pa and I will be graduating in June of 2007. I really want to move to NC due to its climate but I can't decide between Raleigh or Charlotte since I've never been to either. So I'm hoping if I tell you all a little about myself you can give me some tips. It's hard to sort through all the info because you can't tell what type of person is giving some of these recommendations.

- I want to live in a big city, I've been to places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and DC and like the size of these cities.
- I want to live downtown in an apt close to the nightlife and maybe eventually move to just outside the city and buy a house.
- My income will be in the range of 100K-120k
- I like sports, pro and college.
- I'd like to be close to the beach and mountains.
- I'd like some snow, not as much as Pennslyvania though!

OK, now this is what I know about Charlotte and Raleigh...
Raleigh is driving distance to the mountains and beach, has TONS of college basketball, is a young and educated area.
Charlotte is bigger which probably means more to do, close to the mountains, and from what I've heard has cheaper housing.

What I don't know much about is other aspects of cost-of-living. Also, the FUN LEVEL in these cities. I know they are both great, but which one would suit me better (in your opinion) as a young guy (I like going out and being able to walk from bar to bar, not dance clubs though, and see lots of people)?

Also, focusing on Raleigh, how close are Durham and Cary? Would it be reasonable to get a job in Durham and live in Raleigh? Also, how is housing in the Raleigh area??

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,809,703 times
WEll in Charlotte we have the Bobcats,Panthers,and a ECL Hockey team the Checkers. Down the road we have a minor league baseball team the Knights. I believe the powers that be are chasing a MLB team.

Night life is getting better. It is nowhere compared to PA but better. On $100K a year you will be in good shape here.

Mountains are about 3 hours away and the beach is around 4 hours. Charelston is 3,5. Depending on your speed.

They did just open a whitewater park here with mountain bike trails. There are alot of young prof. here. We really do not get snow. Maybe a good ICE storm that shuts us down for a day or two.

They are really focusing on the spirit of Uptown/Downtown Charlotte's night llife with restraunts etc. Its no NYC by any means but getting there.

Hope this helps a little. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 PM

336 posts, read 510,019 times
I would also recommend Charlotte. The mountains are closer than 3 hours away, I have been in downtown Asheville in 2 hours every time I have gone.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:21 PM

32 posts, read 148,092 times
Have any of you been to Pittsburgh or Cleveland or even Raleigh, and if so how do they compare to Charlotte when it comes to big city "feel" and nightlife?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,809,703 times
I have been to Philly? But thats not a fair either as that was 7 years ago and Charlotte was/is still just getting going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte