Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:46 PM

240 posts, read 1,018,765 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Charlotte a few weeks ago. The grocery chains here are different from the stores that I know in MD/DC and SoFl. In MD, I shopped for all of my veggies, meat, etc. at the local amish market. I loved it and that's one of the things I miss most about MD other than Crabcakes from Phillips in Baltimore. I read on a another thread that there is Amish sotre in Caswell County. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't know how far that is from here.

What chains have the best prices, best food quality etc.? I'm near a Lowe's Food, Harris Teeter, and BiLo. I like Whole Foods but there are none in this area. I hate Walmart so I will not go there. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 03:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,392,180 times
Are you sure there isn't a Whole Foods in Charlotte??? I could've sworn there was.
There's also a smaller-chain version of it called Earth Fare that is in many NC cities...I think Charlotte has one or two of those too.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:19 PM

240 posts, read 1,018,765 times
I believe Whole Foods is building a store in South Charlotte but it hasn't opened yet.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,933,605 times
There's an Amish Market in Fairview, NC which is SE of Asheville. It just opened, so I don't know if it's the real deal or just another Amish poser.

There's a EarthFare supermarket in Charlotte on North Community House Road.

There are two Whole Foods Markets in the works for Charlotte at Elizabeth Ave & Hawthorne and another store at Sharon Rd & Colony Rd.

You might get more responses in the Charlotte Metro Area Forum instead of here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/

Caswell County

Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 PM

463 posts, read 1,647,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian View Post
I just moved to Charlotte a few weeks ago. The grocery chains here are different from the stores that I know in MD/DC and SoFl. In MD, I shopped for all of my veggies, meat, etc. at the local amish market. I loved it and that's one of the things I miss most about MD other than Crabcakes from Phillips in Baltimore. I read on a another thread that there is Amish sotre in Caswell County. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't know how far that is from here.

What chains have the best prices, best food quality etc.? I'm near a Lowe's Food, Harris Teeter, and BiLo. I like Whole Foods but there are none in this area. I hate Walmart so I will not go there. Thanks for your help.
Blanch, NC, ( in Caswell county) where Yoder's store is located, is almost 3 hours from Charlotte. Kind of a hike There are two Whole Food Markets in the development phase for Charlotte ( according to the Whole Foods website) but no opening date listed as yet.

I prefer Lowes over Harris Teeter although each store has some things that the other doesn't. Each store has various specials at different times that the other doesn't. I live in the Triad area, though, not Charlotte.

I've only been to a Bi-Lo once. It's a bit of a distant memory.

If you ask your question in the Charlotte forum you may get more responses.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/

Good luck!

Cassie

Old 08-20-2006, 05:08 PM

872 posts, read 3,577,325 times
Bloom, subsidiary of Food Lion, is really good. It's in the same range as Harris Teeter.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:26 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,846,305 times
No Food-4-less, Stater Bros, Ralphs, Albertsons?

Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 PM

336 posts, read 510,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
No Food-4-less, Stater Bros, Ralphs, Albertsons?
Not that I have seen around Charlotte. I don't think that we had any of those in Minnesota either.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 PM

693 posts, read 2,756,066 times
Harris Teeter is not bad, I'd say it's OK. Food Lion is excellent but pricey.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 PM

336 posts, read 510,089 times
The Whitehall Commons BI-LO always has beggars outside of it. I might have to stop shopping there just so I don't have to deal with them. I get asked for money or cigarettes even though I don't smoke, every time I stop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte