Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 35,769 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Charlotte.

Having heard terrible things about MCS, we are looking into private schools. Our kids (7&10) are currently in private schools that we are happy with.

Does anyone have any recommendations/comments about the following schools?

Charlotte Latin
Charlotte Country Day
Providence Day

We would like a private school w/o religious affiliation.

Looking @ Providence/Piper Glen area for convenience to the schools and employement.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 09:56 PM

24 posts, read 105,835 times
There is a site called greatschool.com, I think and there are parents who rate the school this may help!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM

17 posts, read 69,531 times
I too am relocating to the area and my 5 y/o is currently in private school. I have gotten info about Lake Park & Metrolina. Does anyone have any recommendations about these schools or any other private schools in the area? I looked at greatschool.com & privateschoolreview.com but I would like to talk to someone who has children there or elsewhere in the county. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartansrule View Post
We are considering relocating to Charlotte.

Having heard terrible things about MCS, we are looking into private schools. Our kids (7&10) are currently in private schools that we are happy with.

Does anyone have any recommendations/comments about the following schools?

Charlotte Latin
Charlotte Country Day
Providence Day

We would like a private school w/o religious affiliation.

Looking @ Providence/Piper Glen area for convenience to the schools and employement.

Thanks in advance!
I am so sorry you have been misinformed about CMS public schools - we have many fine ones here (some of them are among the best in the state). You may have heard about some of our inner city schools which do struggle, but really there are some great schools to be found all around the county - especially in south Charlotte. Regardless, if you are interested in private school without a religious affiliation the three you have listed above are all tops - again some of the best in the state. It would be very hard to say which of the three is better, as they are all a bit different but still very good. You would really need to visit to get a feel for whether or not your children belonged at one more than any other. Best of luck with all that

Old 03-06-2008, 05:00 AM

797 posts, read 3,296,040 times
I was born in CLT and have lived here my whole life. I went to both private and public school. All I have to say is my child who is a toddler will be going to a private school. The three you mentioned are the top 3. Private schools are very competitive and very hard to get into. It's really a personal pref. among the three you mentioned. I went to one of them and all three are good. Most likely it will come down to where your child will get accepted as it's hard to find open spaces after kindergarden. I know many people who have been on waiting lists for years at these 3.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
I was born in CLT and have lived here my whole life. I went to both private and public school. All I have to say is my child who is a toddler will be going to a private school. The three you mentioned are the top 3. Private schools are very competitive and very hard to get into. It's really a personal pref. among the three you mentioned. I went to one of them and all three are good. Most likely it will come down to where your child will get accepted as it's hard to find open spaces after kindergarden. I know many people who have been on waiting lists for years at these 3.
We started on a list when our kids were 3 for PRESCHOOL, so that is kind of crazy.

I was an alumni at my children's formal school, so hopefully that helped.

Last edited by mullman; 03-06-2008 at 08:11 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times
How can get on a waiting list for an independent school before your child is actually school age? Your child has to go through the admissions process in order to be placed on a waiting list.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
I soooooooo agree with you. I wasn't raised here but my daughter did attend CMS schools for a year and a half and that was all we could take. We are looking into private schools for next year. It depends on if you work or not, but we have been looking into the university model schooling. I like their courses. NAUMS National Association of University-Model Schools (http://www.naums.net/index2.html - broken link)
They are somewhat religious, but that is only if you want your children to take the religion classes. If not, then they won't be getting the religious side of it. Good luck on your search.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 AM

240 posts, read 732,117 times
Smile Cms

My daughter is now in her 2nd year at a public school. She attended a very small private school from grades K - 6.
She went to Community House Middle School for 7th and now 8th grade.

I really think that CMS do have some wonderful schools with great teachers.
As a parent who has an invested interest in my child's education, I make sure she is getting the best and so far, I am extremely happy with her school life at CMS.

We have applied for private school for HIGH SCHOOL but know that getting in will be extremely hard as places are few. The only reason for applying to a private school is the size of classes compared to CMS.

If my daughter does not gain a place at Private School then she is more than happy to attend Ardrey Kell and I know she will do well there. We were very impressed with their Open House and I know the Principal is extremely strict and very visible around the school.

We have really good Elementary schools around the Ballantyne area too.

I really feel that if a student has good parental guidance and support then they will do well in any academic institution.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2nc View Post
My daughter is now in her 2nd year at a public school. She attended a very small private school from grades K - 6.
She went to Community House Middle School for 7th and now 8th grade.

I really think that CMS do have some wonderful schools with great teachers.
As a parent who has an invested interest in my child's education, I make sure she is getting the best and so far, I am extremely happy with her school life at CMS.

We have applied for private school for HIGH SCHOOL but know that getting in will be extremely hard as places are few. The only reason for applying to a private school is the size of classes compared to CMS.

If my daughter does not gain a place at Private School then she is more than happy to attend Ardrey Kell and I know she will do well there. We were very impressed with their Open House and I know the Principal is extremely strict and very visible around the school.

We have really good Elementary schools around the Ballantyne area too.

I really feel that if a student has good parental guidance and support then they will do well in any academic institution.
From what I have heard, Ballantyne has great schools. It is very hard to judge CMS as a whole, as there are some great schools and some horrible schools in the district. To the OP: here is a link to one of the schools I was referring to:
Grace Academy
The nice thing about this private school is that you can pick which classes you want your children to take and when. IT isn't a traditional 8-3 school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte