Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 AM

12 posts, read 39,973 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are relocating to Charlotte next month. We visited twice briefly in the past few weeks and decided we wanted to be close to the action and get to know our new city. We are going to rent for a couple years to get the lay of the land. We found a place in our budget on the light rail at New Bern and understand the whole area is booming. We were delighted and thrilled with the prospects of mass transit and tons of fun stuff to do. We're in our mid 40's/50's and our kids are grown.

I have a zillion questions, but my first concern is safety of that area. Since we've been home, I've searched crime stats and have worked myself into a bit of a frenzy. My spouse travels, and I want to feel safe when he's gone. It appears there are a fair number of break-ins and robberies around that area. Of course, it also appears Charlotte has an issue with crime, especially p
roperty crime, regardless of the area.

I don't want to live in fear, but I don't want to miss living in a great area because I blew the risks way out of proportion. We were in Healthy Home Market last weekend and I loved the feeling there. It was a real mix of people. We rode LYNX (day and night), ate at Big Ben and Pewter Rose, and generally had a ball. I was really looking forward to exploring Atherton market and am super excited about the new Publix. However, I read the Wells Fargo on New Bern was recently robbed, a woman was abducted from a Dilworth CVS, and a man was killed near the Midnight Diner. That is in addition to the seemingly frequent home break-ins, prowlers, and assaults in the immediate New Bern area. I did go back a year, so maybe I'm just seeing too many bad numbers at one time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-- we filled out an app, but have not yet signed a lease. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Are you moving into an apartment? I would not worry - though New Bern is at the furthest south of development in the area - tons of new apartments are still being built. Lots of people around will equal increased safety. It's easy to overreact to crime statistics - look near the big malls like South Park and you will see lots of red dots. Most of those are car break-ins - almost always caused by people leaving bags in plain view. Likewise in the South End, if you use common sense it is unlikely you will be a victim of crime. All the light rail stations are under video surveillance too.
I admit that the CVS abduction is rather disturbing. The midnight diner murder happened at 3am. Bank Robberies happen in all areas occasionally regardless of crime level. In the day time, I would have no qualms about walking in the Southend alone - anywhere. I do often bicycle along the tracks (this area is great for getting around by bike). At night, I think it would be better to walk with another person.

Edit: This is the area where we plan on retiring - if our budget allows

Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM

Thanks very much, ex-burgher! It is a condo on South Blvd near where all the new apartments are going in. It is true that you often cannot tell what the exact incident is by the crime report alone. I read of several incidents at or very near the light rail station at New Bern. I assumed those were wallet/purse thefts, but I remembered I asked a man about the bike lockers there. He told me to never lock a nice bike there because it will be stolen. His beloved bike had recently been stolen and he was unlocking a recent pawn store purchase. So, that would certainly count toward the statistics--and would upset anyone greatly if it happened to them.

Car break-ins seem to be very common, and I'm so grateful to everyone here for advising newbies to never leave ANYTHING in their car. Hopefully, that will save my car. I did see a number of B&Es, and that worried me--a couple while the owner was home.

Forgot to add--it's comforting you're planning to retire in this area--thanks for the info!!

Last edited by JeninNC; 01-19-2013 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Adding junk

Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeninNC View Post
I have a zillion questions, but my first concern is safety of that area.
The New Bern area near Wells Fargo, 3030 South, and the new Fountains at New Bern apartments is "safe" for the most part. Understand though that this is an area that has gone through some very rapid gentrification (which means that the criminal element is still in the area). I've never had an issue riding my bike with my wife and kid through this area (day or night). The sidewalk path that runs beside the light rail line has a fairly decent number of walkers, joggers, and bike riders.

However, this is an area that is only 2-3 blocks from Southside Homes (one of Charlotte's largest public housing neighborhoods). 9 times out of 10, the issues with the 2,000th-3,000th block of South Blvd has a Southside Homes or Brookhill connection. I've heard rumors that developers are trying to find ways of doing a massive redevelopment of SS Homes/Brookhill. Personally, I'd move to the area and not even think twice about it. Just remember to go there with a little bit of common sense and some good old-fashioned street smarts.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
However, this is an area that is only 2-3 blocks from Southside Homes (one of Charlotte's largest public housing neighborhoods). 9 times out of 10, the issues with the 2,000th-3,000th block of South Blvd has a Southside Homes or Brookhill connection. I've heard rumors that developers are trying to find ways of doing a massive redevelopment of SS Homes/Brookhill. Personally, I'd move to the area and not even think twice about it. Just remember to go there with a little bit of common sense and some good old-fashioned street smarts.
Excellent post

This is going to come across as ignorant, but I am as sincere as anyone could be: why doesn't the City consolidate housing developments?

These housing developments are hotbeds for crime, and the crime that residents commit, thwart revitalization efforts throughout the City.

To the OP: I can't add anything to the excellent advice you've been given, except to wish you the best of luck with your move .

I tend to play things safe, and if I were looking in that area, I'd follow two rules of thumb: 1) Never, ever, keep anything in your parked car. Likewise, if you have a GPS unit, be sure that the suction cup doesn't leave any visible marks on your front windshield. 2) I'd refrain from venturing out (on foot) after dark (a suggestion that might seem overly cautious to some, but...that's me).

Follow the above two rules, and you should be just fine.

There's a lot of exciting, ongoing, development in the South End. It's a great place to be!

Old 06-07-2015, 08:26 AM

Just wanted to follow up briefly on my original post for future relo folks. We have lived in South End at New Bern Station for a little over two years now. We adore the area and couldn't be happier with our decision. We remain vigilant about our surroundings and have not had any negative experiences. Thanks so much to the regulars who helped calm my nerves pre-move two years ago.

Hubby rides the LYNX to work every day, and we bike on the rail trail often. Rides often include food and/or drink (last night was Phat Burrito--Big Ben, Mr. K's, Pike's, Midnight Diner, Common Market, Greek Isles, Nova's are all common targets), and we like to delude ourselves that we have worked off whatever treat we just devoured.

I'm slightly heartbroken that we are leaving South End next month (especially after watching our Publix grow from the ground up!), but we are purchasing a townhouse in Third Ward with a little airbnb studio over the garage. We'll still be close by, and we certainly aren't running away from the urban lifestyle. We are now a one car household, and we have discovered that our butts aren't actually superglued to the couch as I once feared.

Charlotte is a wonderful place--explore, embed, enjoy!

Old 06-07-2015, 02:52 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
All I can tell you is that I lived in Southend from 2008 to 2014 and never experienced any crime.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 13,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeninNC View Post
Just wanted to follow up briefly on my original post for future relo folks. We have lived in South End at New Bern Station for a little over two years now. We adore the area and couldn't be happier with our decision. We remain vigilant about our surroundings and have not had any negative experiences. Thanks so much to the regulars who helped calm my nerves pre-move two years ago.

Hubby rides the LYNX to work every day, and we bike on the rail trail often. Rides often include food and/or drink (last night was Phat Burrito--Big Ben, Mr. K's, Pike's, Midnight Diner, Common Market, Greek Isles, Nova's are all common targets), and we like to delude ourselves that we have worked off whatever treat we just devoured.

I'm slightly heartbroken that we are leaving South End next month (especially after watching our Publix grow from the ground up!), but we are purchasing a townhouse in Third Ward with a little airbnb studio over the garage. We'll still be close by, and we certainly aren't running away from the urban lifestyle. We are now a one car household, and we have discovered that our butts aren't actually superglued to the couch as I once feared.

Charlotte is a wonderful place--explore, embed, enjoy!
My girlfriend and I are moving into one of the new Camden Southline apartments right next to the Publix you referenced. Thank you for providing your experience - it has reassured us a lot. We had a bit of the same anxiety about the area when we started looking. We visited and loved the area, but we knew it was very very close to areas that were bad. It seems like South End is only on the way up though, and we can't wait to get there!

Old 06-02-2016, 05:00 AM

Just saw this reply--I've been buried in post-move craziness! Hope you are enjoying your South End home. You picked a great location!

Old 06-05-2016, 11:24 AM

415 posts, read 606,739 times
Charlotte does have a lot of crime.
The Charlotte Observer white washes the crime away, while local TV news reports on it.
The murder rate is very low, non violent crime is high but not out of line with other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte